Would you become a teacher again if you had the choice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by aeh1, Mar 27, 2015.

1. aeh1

aeh1 New Member

Mar 27, 2015

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but I'll ask anyway.

I'm halfway to a bachelor's degree and second guessing myself.

For any teachers willing to lend a hand and answer a few questions:
    How long have you been teaching for? What grade(s)/subject(s)?
    What are the best parts of your job? What are the worst parts?
    If you could do it all over again, would you still teach? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance for any responses! Be as long winded as you'd like!!! :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2015

If I could do it all over again, and I could read the future, I would not have gone into teaching. I would have chosen a job of a service nature that would give me a better chance to make a difference in people's lives.

IClilpeopleu2* and RainStorm like this.
  4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

I have taught/worked in education for the past 11years in a variety of roles. Some included instructional aide for severely handicapped students, instructional aide for general education, teachers assistant, co-teacher, classroom teacher and department manager. The majority of this was in the secondary/high school level.

Teaching is a blast for me. Even on my worst day I would much rather teach then work anywhere else. Best part is watching students surprise themselves with the things they learn. Watching a once failing student turn it around. The worst is watching students/families give up on students or show no interest in their success.

If I had the past 11years to do over again I would in a minute. However I would have started sooner. I didn't realize I wanted to teach until I had been out of school for a while. It was rough going back to school as an older student. I felt like an outsider for a while but as I continued to,learn I found my niche.

Thanks in advance for any responses! Be as long winded as you'd like!!! :)[/QUOTE]

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 27, 2015

I've taught for four years, 1st and 2nd grade. The best part of my job is probably the actual teaching. I enjoy presenting information. The worst part is the fact I've only taught in Title 1 schools. I hate to be judgmental and stereotyping, but there tends to be a type of student that comes with that territory.

If I could do it all over again, no, I probably go into another field. This isn't to say I'm not happy and satisfied with teaching, but I may be better suited to other fields. In fact, I seriously plan on going into nursing at some point.

IClilpeopleu2* likes this.
  6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2015

:thumb:

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2015

Have you been in the classroom any? How did you feel in those experiences? What did you like/dislike? Thinking about that might help you process that decision.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 27, 2015

See above.

* Not all parents- just the ones who couldn't care less about their child's education and the unreasonable parents who don't believe we have other students in the room.

9. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Mar 27, 2015

1.5 years. 1st grade & 4th grade.

The best parts... when the kids make me smile. I am ecstatic when my students are successful, especially the struggling ones who have been working hard. They can also be hilarious, and there have been days when I've come to work in a bad mood only to completely forget my problems because a 1st grader made me laugh. Most of the time when I come to work, my classroom feels like my personal haven and safe space.

The worst parts... well, there are the things everyone hates like standardized testing, writing detailed lesson plans, paperwork, work politics... but the worst part for me is dealing with problems I can't fix. Like my student who acted out violently because his parents were in jail, or the boy who couldn't see his schoolwork because his vision was so bad, but whose parents wouldn't get him glasses (I went out of my way to have him free glasses made, but they never picked them up... :(). I would also agree with the above poster about Title I schools... I hate to generalize, but the Title I elementary school I taught at was run very poorly, and there was a ton of violence at all grade levels. It's difficult for teachers & admin to contain the widespread issues of poverty.

I'm at this junction right now, so I'm not sure how to answer. I wouldn't take back anything, although I wish I hadn't gone through those extreme levels of stress at my Title I school. I work at a very nice charter school now, where there is less paperwork, less standardized testing, and AMAZING parent support. But I'm not sure if I like teaching itself... I definitely need to get out of 1st grade and work with older students. I'm a career-changer -- I got a second degree to do this -- so it wasn't something I always dreamed of doing. All I can say is, every field is different when you actually start working in it. I'm hesitant to leave and change direction again, so there is a part of me that wishes I'd chosen the right career path the first time... whatever that is.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

-6 years. 3 years as a special ed teacher (working with grades 2-6 at different times), 3 years as a 3rd grade teacher. I've also done summer school 4 times

-Best part: The kids
    -Worst part: The adults

-If I knew how utterly noxious and vile the standardized testing craze actually was... I might have still gone into teaching, but as an elementary teacher (or even worse, a SPED teacher)? Nope. No, no, no, no, a million times no. And I say that as somebody who is relatively insulated from the worst of the toxic environment that the Andrew Cuomo's and Arne Duncan's of the world. Would I still go into teaching? Maybe as a science teacher, or a music teacher. Maybe I'd even aim for earlier primary kiddos. But a testing grade and subject? Oh no.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 27, 2015

This is my third year. I've taught 1st and 5th.

Best: THE KIDS! I love building relationships with the kids. I love that I get to have an impact on their lives. I love seeing their growth and excitement for learning and seeing the lightbulb moments. I also love the creativity in teaching. I teach at a fabulous school where we have lots of freedom.

Worst: It's difficult to turn off. I have to make a conscious effort to spend a day (or sometimes even part of a day) without thinking about teaching or doing anything for work. Sometimes, I get to a point where I really NEED that break for my own sanity. Finding a balance can be difficult.

A lot of negatives are school/district/area specific. I am very fortunate that I've found a great school where the only testing related discussion or event is the one week of state testing and the hour training we had yesterday on how to administer the test. I do NOT work at a school that is test-focused AT ALL. It's wonderful. A lot of your happiness is going to come from finding your niche, and that may not be the first school you work at.

Absolutely 100% yes. It's who I am - it's a HUGE part of my identity. I find it to be extremely rewarding, invigorating, challenging work. It's hard and frustrating at times, but SO worth it.

I really suggest spending as much times with various ages of students as you can. I figured out I absolutely wanted to be a teacher from teaching my own class in an after school program during college. There was no turning back after that.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2015

This is my fifth year teaching.

Best moments- working with the kids, teaching science, doing lots of fun labs.

Worst moments- the paperwork, the meetings, the red tape.

Would I do it again- yup!

13. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

12 years. Grades 1-4th. Most of the years in 2nd but currently teaching 4th.

Best: The students and having the same days off as my son. I may seem jaded and burned out but everything I do is for those 22 eager 9 and 10 year olds.

Worst: The grown-ups and the red tape.

The lack of boundaries between the parent and the professional that can occur. Emails have made this a monstrosity. When I was a child if my parents wanted to contact they teacher they had to find a piece of paper and pen, sit down and legibly hand write a letter. Now a parent can email their child's teacher from the line in the grocery store, from the elliptical, from the red light on the highway drive home from school. More knee-jerk reactions, less time to process.

Example: Today at dismissal. I was leaving school with my son who attends prek and a mother of a girl I have yells across the parking lot to me "What are we gonna do about that math grade?" I don't have too many problems w/ parents and emails but sure do with the boundaries.

No I would not. I was raised by an amazing teacher (my mom). The time she was able to give my sister and me is so much more than I can give my toddler. I am unable to strike a balance between being an exceptional mother, a wife, and a teacher. Sadly, what often gets tossed to the way side are the first two. *note, many (most?) teachers do not have this problem. This is just my experience and my answers to the question.*

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2015

This is what scares me the most. Knowing my current track record for hours spent at the school...I worry about when I have a kid (which my wife and I both want to have very soon), and already know my wife sees a lot less of me than it should be.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 27, 2015

This is my fourth year. I've taught 8th, 10th, and 12th.

Best part: connecting with the kids and watching them grow. Getting to teach them about important things.

Worst part: grading the essays. I'm such a procrastinator!! Also it's hard dealing with kids on 1st-4th grade reading levels. I just didn't get enough sped training. My drive. I did that to myself though!

My complaints are relatively minor. The pros by far outweigh the cons. I would do it all over again without a second thought.

16. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

So many can handle it. :) I am just one who's realizing as she gets older that she cannot. People advise me to prioritize but that is incredibly difficult for me.

17. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2015

7 years. MS & HS Social Studies.

Best is the pay/compensation for 10 months of work.
    Worst is the actual day-to-day job.

Nope; teaching is a headache and very stressful but not in an exciting or challenging way.

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2015

How long have you been teaching for? What grade(s)/subject(s)? All told, about 14 years, third through HS, mostly science.
    What are the best parts of your job? What are the worst parts? The best parts have to be the kids, followed by getting to be my inner science geek full time, followed by the schedule and pay. Worst parts have been when I didn't have an easy fix for a student's problems, or I couldn't connect, or couldn't get the mentoring or colleague help that I thought might have made a difference.
    If you could do it all over again, would you still teach? In a heartbeat! It took so long for me to turn lose of a long-held dream and plan, that I didn't hear my heart telling me that this was where I was supposed to be. Some years are harder than others, some have more unforgettable students than others, but school is only out a short time until I am ready to go back, with enthusiasm and new ideas. I know I can't change the world for every student that walks through my door, but I truly feel that I want and need to try to change it for at least some of them. My dad worked for General Motors, fixing the cars that were defective when they came off of the assembly line. People would give him a hard time about having to fix newly built cars, and often ask what did that say about his job? His comment, with a wry smile, was that for the car that he made "right" by his repairs, it meant everything to that new owner, who remained blissfully unaware that there had ever been a problem to know about! I think I am a lousy mechanic, but that the apple didn't fall too far from the tree when it came to my dad and I.

Teaching is not for the faint of heart. You commit to students who may never reciprocate the feelings, and you have to stand up to public opinion that is often unjust and biased. However, if you have gumption, ingenuity, persistence, and a love of your content area and the students who need to learn it, it can be a great fit. Only you can decide if this is YOUR calling.

19. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2015

35+ years, PE, Math, Gifted Computer skills,

The best parts. Seeing my children everyday with their smiles and hope. Watching them discover how they can succeed at things and get better by practiciing.
    The worst parts. Observing good and great teachers being used to further some idiotic agenda that believes testing is the most important thing and the results of these tests should be used as a hammer on kids and teachers alike. Realizing that those that make policy are so clueless they believe all children should learn at the same rate and that moving the curriculum down a grade is good policy.
    If you could do it all over again, would you still teach? A thousand times yes. I would do all the things I have learned over the years from the get go. I would spend more time observing other teachers in PE to steal their best stuff. I would give more praise early on to my kids.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 28, 2015

I've been in this business for nine years. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I've taught 1st grade, 2nd grade, and middle school ELA. Every teaching assignment has had pros/cons, but I learned something from each batch of students I've been fortunate enough to teach.

I sometimes wish I would've waited a few more years before going into administration, but I truly feel like I'm making a difference each day.

I was destined to be a teacher. My very own 2nd grade teacher always reminds me that she knew I'd be an educator ever since I was a student in her class!

21. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Mar 28, 2015

I've taught for 10+ years.
    I don't regret going into teaching (up till last year I really enjoyed it) but at this point in my life I've decided to try to find something in another field.
    It's not Common Core exactly, but all the changes that came about because of it--new curriculum and new instructional methods we were expected to implement with no preparation and minimal guidance (I used to really enjoy the challenge and creativity of planning lessons, now it's just a headache to wade through an almost scripted curriculum that is boring and developmentally inappropriate, not to mention that is constantly being revised online without actually notifying the teachers, so you don't know if you are even being current with the latest updated version), the extra paperwork, the huge emphasis on collecting/tracking/analyzing redundant data, etc.

22. PatTm

PatTm Rookie

Apr 3, 2015

I've been perpetually wondering if I would make the same choice for the last few years. I've had my teaching license for 5 years. I actually left the profession after 3 years taking a job in sales when money got tight (had a great teaching job my first 6 months out of school, then jumped around between subbing and part-time positions for 2.5 years). Didn't enjoy that so went back to teaching after 1 year.

Best Parts: When everything clicks and you can see that your students are truly taking something away from lessons and making meaningful connections with students

Worst: Pay vs Work vs Time Ratio. I'm at a non profit school, so barely make 30K a year. Salary is based on 40 hour week but routinely work another 20-30 unpaid hours. Not true everywhere but level of disrespect by students and their parents' excuses monopolizes time. Nothing worse then realizing you spent a whole class dealing with discipline and nothing gets accomplished. Hypocrisy from administration can kill motivation. I teach PE in my interview I was explicit about not wanting to supervise recess as a class. Told I would have the support, but when kids failed for not completing assignments I got vague critiques like "how can we better meet the child's individual needs." Nice PC phrase, but boils down to lowering expectations for some kids, angering others, and undermining authority.

Do it Again: Sadly no. I touched on the negatives more than the positives, but its a function of my last few jobs. My first job was almost perfect I would've stayed there forever if they didn't cut the position. I'd go back to that situation, but who can say that opportunity comes up. Considering leaving if I can find a better plan than professional bar-tending. Don't let my story discourage you it could still be the right job. Make sure you know your priorities, job outlook, and other factors before fully committing. I have many co-workers who wouldn't leave for anything.

23. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Apr 3, 2015

- I got my license 9 years ago (switching from IT). I've been a grasshopper since then, hoping from position to position, but mostly being a substitute for all levels, all grades from toddlers to high schoolers

- The best parts is when I'm actually succesful in getting the students to learn a lesson. Or, even learn things from them. Gets me real excited!

- I would do it all over again, although I'm not even at the point where I found myself. Why? Because I can't imagine myself doing anythin else

24. donut-teach

donut-teach New Member

Apr 7, 2015

This is my fourth year of teaching 5th grade.

I absolutely love teaching reading. I love sharing books with my students, and making my whole classroom focused on reading. I've done nothing special in my classroom, but encourage students to read a lot, and I've seen test scores rise. Far beyond high scores, though is the joy a student and I share when we FINALLY find a book he/she actually likes!

The worst part: The lack of respect by admin. Also, collecting data, then being called a cheater by our learning coach is pretty terrible. Reading scores have gone up, and the learning coach in my building has accused me and my co-teacher of cheating on DRA tests. Not that she has ever come in to my classroom and had kids read to her or answer questions, but I obviously cheated because we had good results. Now my principal keeps dropping hints that we need to have a higher fidelity in DRA testing and maybe teachers should DRA kids from other classes. I also think my principal also would like me to leave the leadership team, but maybe those comments about people not being the right fit for the leadership team are making me paranoid. (Sorry, just needed to vent a minute! But yes, the lack of respect by admin is the worst part of my job.)

All my life, I wanted to be a teacher. I never considered anything else. My mom's a teacher, my aunts, uncles, and cousins are teachers. It's what I aspired to do since I was in preschool. That said, if I had the chance to do it all over again...no, I would not. I would do just about anything else.

25. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 7, 2015

23 years/9-12 English

Best for me: Pay, benefits, time off, pension.
    While other posts have already mentioned some worst parts that I would also list, I'll add incompetent/lazy administrators.

:|

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2015

How long have you been teaching for? What grade(s)/subject(s)? 18 years, I've taught K, pre K, 2nd and currently 3rd

What are the best parts of your job? What are the worst parts? A ha moments, hands on learning, conferring with students, laughing with my kids, collaborating with colleagues, my paycheck is really good

Not so good...standardized testing, contact Negotiations, paying more into healthcare and pension

If you could do it all over again, would you still teach? Yes Why or why not? It's my passion. I love it. Even on not so good days teaching is what I'd rather do...

27. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 8, 2015

3 years. Science, 8th grade.

I love planning lessons, activities, and building curriculum, and then taking into the classroom to see how it all works out. I dislike behavior management, but I've gotten pretty good at it, and I really dislike dealing with parents who need reality checks.

Honestly, I don't know what else I would have done. I was working at a grocery store before teaching, and the offer of management was offered to me. I would never be a grocery store manager in a million years. Teaching is WAAAAY better. Now if I could restart my life, and work a bit harder in school and been a little bit more mature, I might have gone for a physics or engineering degree, and maybe taught college or university at some point, but I love teaching in any way, shape, or form. I would do it as a tutor, lecturer, online YouTube videos, museum docent, etc. Teaching is fun. But sometimes being a K-12 teacher is tough.

28. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 8, 2015

I lovd teaching and building relationships with students. I greatly dislike dealing with students with behavior issues. I know that it's a part of the job, but I would enjoy my job so much more if behavior management wasn't such a big part of teaching.

If I was doing it all over, I think I would maybe like pursuing something like architecture, graphic design, computer science, or engineering. I haven't had much training in any of these, though, so I can't say whether I would enjoy those fields more.

29. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 9, 2015

8 Years. Currently grade five, but have taught in those 8 years everything from Grade 1-Grade 5, Resource at K-5 as well as 6-8, Behaviour Intervention K-8, French, English to Immersion, Enrichment, Phys. Ed... anything else they could throw in there :)

Best parts: The students. I love forming relationships with my students each day. When I have a difficult group to bond with, it weighs me down a lot, so this can sometimes be the best parts. Most times, I am able to turn it around, at least to some extent.

Worst parts: I HATE lesson planning. I love teaching, but I hate the planning part that has to go into the successful lesson. It's that necessary evil.

In a heartbeat. I can't imagine doing anything else. Down the road, I plan to transition into Guidance, but I love working with students, and couldn't give that up any time soon.

30. Carolinabuckeye

Carolinabuckeye New Member

Mar 21, 2020

No way in the world I would choose this again.

whizkid likes this.
  31. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Mar 21, 2020

30+ years if you count a few yrs of elementary counseling and coaching....
    I have taught all grade levels from K-5, but only taught 6th for a special group. I spent at least 20 yrs w/ grades 3/4.....partially combination classes and a few yrs straight 3rd or 4th.
    The best part of the job is seeing the light bulb go off in a kid and hearing them say, "OHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" Like they finally got it!
    Also, you get some kids you just love and others that are really funny. I basically just like most kids and love to see them grow and learn.
    The part I dislike is that discipline has been taken out of the schools in my area at least. There are no longer any consequences for kids with bad behavior.
    Trauma or disability is used as an excuse for their bad behavior. I know this is a problem in some areas of the country and probably not for others.
    I hate the fact that they have decided to dump kids with extreme emotional disturbances into classrooms and call it "LRE." They put the learning of 1 over the learning of 20 other kids in places.
    If I had it to do over again, I'd have done it the 1st 15- 20 years. It is an awesome job when you have the same holidays and summer break as your own children. Also, back then, they did not dump extreme behavior problems in the class and say: "Punt!"
    Teachers were allowed more creativity in how they taught the content. Plus, they enforced discipline in the schools then.
    I strongly urge kids today to choose a different field of study now.
    If I had been thinking, I'd have gotten out of the system when my kids were grown. Due to unforeseen events and a long move, it was just easier to stay in the system than to start something else. It was hard to make as much $$ doing anything else too even w/ a MA in another field. My state is 1 of the higher paying ones.
    I guess I could have started a private practice and that could have been much more fun. You never know. I do know 1 of my kid's starting salary was higher than mine and he only has a BA. However, I wouldn't have been able to do the type of work he does.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    nstructor likes this.
  32. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Mar 21, 2020

I really do not think this is an uncommon problem w/ most teachers I know. It actually seems more like the norm nowadays. I did not work until my kids went to school, so that has to make it even harder. Also, the demands on teachers since the internet have become 100x more.

Backroads likes this.
  33. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 21, 2020

18 years. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I've taught regular classrooms, departmentalized classrooms, math and science, special education cluster, autism inclusion program, and the gifted and talented program. I taught 8 years in an inner city low income public school (2 years in a public housing project school) and 10 years in a posh private school.

-Best part: Teaching kids, helping them learn, watching their faces when that lightbulb goes on and they say "Ah-hah! I understand!"

-Worst part: All the recent changes -- not being allowed to discipline, room clears, being forced to read word-for-word from a teaching script and watching children "not" learn from it, and yet you aren't allowed to do it any differently. Parents who are entitled. Parents who refuse to recognize that their children are participating in disruptive behavior that is stealing all the other children's right to an education. No more thematic units -- everything is taught as mini-lessons "to teach to the test" -- the almighty test -- that magical multiple choice question test that somehow determines if a child has learned and if a teacher has taught successfully.

I wouldn't trade my past for the world, but NO, I would not do it again, and I cannot recommend this road for anybody that I care about. We aren't really allowed to actually teach anymore. The system is so broken, and the people who actually know how to fix it (the teachers) aren't allowed to even be a part of the conversation.

Don't be a teacher, even if it is your passion. It will suck the life out of you, it will rob you and your family of your time together, and you will be treated with disrespect and low pay, because society doesn't value us. Because of the expectations society has place upon us, there is no way possible to succeed.

nstructor and Tired Teacher like this.
  34. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Mar 21, 2020

I'd go into the private sector in banking and finance which I'm still young enough to do. I guess the time off is what has kept me here.

35. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 21, 2020

Time off is what keeps me in my job. I didn’t go into teaching because of summers off, but I’d choose another job if we didn’t get the break. If I was going to work year round, I could make more money and have less stress in another career.

Backroads and whizkid like this.
  36. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Mar 21, 2020

If teaching was all year round, I certainly wouldn't be in the profession unless it was paying 70K +. I started off just to get my feet wet to see how I'd like it and honestly the time off and field trips are the only benefits in it. There's money to be made in education but it's not in teaching at least around here unless you've taught for 30 years. That's why I'm done with the teaching aspect this year.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  37. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 21, 2020

I didn't go in for summers off either, but it's a big, big perk.

I really don't think I would go into teaching again. At least, not now.

It's just not "organic" anymore. I'm worried less about what I'm teaching than looking the part, whatever that means.

bella84 and stephenpe like this.
  38. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 21, 2020

Spill. What job do you have lined up, lol?!

39. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Mar 21, 2020

This is an amazingly old thread. I wonder what brought it back. And I wonder what the OP decided to do.

Amanda, Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  40. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 21, 2020

Also, I totally went into teaching for all the time off and summers off. I also liked that my healthcare benefits would be excellent and I would get a pretty good pension.

Backroads likes this.
  41. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 21, 2020

I have no qualms for those drawn by summers off. It's a fine perk.