Would you be interested in taking on a student teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sunshine*inc, Apr 19, 2010.

1. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 21, 2010

Was the student teacher required to completely take over the class for a specified period of time? Most of the student teachers that I've met have been required to solo teach for 2 weeks. There was one who was in a classroom where the teacher would not let her do that, however.

2. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 21, 2010

Absolutely not. I've met a lot of teachers who do not wish to have a student teacher now. I wonder if they'd be willing, though, if they were able to choose thier student teacher as some have mentioned here.

3. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 21, 2010

So in your program you student teach for an entire school year in one grade? Financially, this would be difficult but I think you'd gain a lot of experience that I one wouldn't in a traditional student teaching program. I'm considering assisting a teacher in setting up a classroom for next year because I know this is something I won't get to do during my student teaching placements.

4. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 21, 2010

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 21, 2010

I would love to have a student teacher. Unfortunately, we are just far enough away from the nearest college that we don't get many (about 60 miles). A few who have some sort of ties to the area or who live closer to here.

I had one a couple years ago, a friend of a friend type of thing. I was convinced it was going to be awesome, because she was a little older and I assumed maybe more...seasoned? Um, yeah, wrong. She was ok, but not great. It was really hard watching her teach things in 3 or 4 days that I could have done in a half hour. Not to toot my own horn, but it's true.

I will say though, she did have a lot of fresh ideas, and I still use some of the things she introduced. Sometimes I think it is good to get fresh eyes and ears in your material to avoid becoming stale...

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2010

Really, why do you say it won't likely happen because you're a special ed teacher? How else does a person earn their special ed credential? When I earned my mild/moderate credential, I did the usual (for my university's program) 2 ten week terms of student teaching in which I was paired w/ 2 RSP teachers. :)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

It could happen if I was in a Resource Room or Self-Contained classroom. Right now, my current position is 2/3 Special Ed, 1/3 English teacher for grade 7 and 8. Out of that 2/3 Special Ed position, I do all of the testing for the school (which a ST couldn't do), have meetings with outside professionals (which a ST couldn't do), co-ordinate all sevices, paperwork and meetings, and support students in classrooms (which a ST absolutely could do). I have offered to share a student teacher so that they get a taste of the role, but the logistics haven't worked out. I guess I shouldn't have been more specific--it won't likely happen, not because I teach Special Ed, but because of the particulars of my position.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2010

I would LOVE to be a student teacher in your "classroom". I could go for pj's and hot coffee, maybe some popcorn....

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2010

I contacted my student teacher's mother. He gave me too many clues and I found out that his mother is on the faculty of a high school in our state. Easy enough to look up. She has sent me pictures of him on his first day of school (Barney shirt) and in 5th grade, along with some hilarious pictures of him in a production in high school. He rolls his eyes when I say, "Oh, goodie! I got another e-mail from your mom!"

The kids and I are making up a bulletin board for him after the state testing. The kids are drawing some cartoons of us interacting or him teaching. They are pretty funny. One is me calling him "Grasshopper", which is my nickname for him--He calls me "Old One" when the kids aren't listening.

He also got tired of hearing the boys call each other "fagg*t" at recess, so he read the definition out of a dictionary today. "The next time you hear someone call you that, just look at them and say, 'Really? A bundle of sticks?'" So someone is drawing a picture of that.

We have a wonderful relationship. He's trying to get me to go to Talledega with him this weekend to see a Nascar race, which is the last thing I'd ever do. His mom and younger brother are popping in on Friday for a visit. Seriously, he's like a second son.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

Bottom line, I'm ultimately responsible for my class. If someone is clearly not capable to take over an entire day (never mind 2 weeks) of instruction, I don't turn it over...and I explain it to the supervising instructor at the college why I made that decision if asked. It hasn't been a problem for me, all of my STs were able to be certified (even the ones who weren't that good...:()

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2010

I see MrsC!

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 21, 2010

There's a training salary involved. I get paid for working in the classroom Mon-Thurs, and then I go for my masters on Fridays. The trade off is that I commit to teaching in Chicago Public Schools for four years after I complete my residency year. The year is more than just student teaching. There is also a coach that works with you on specific skills such as vocal projection, organization, etc.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 22, 2010

This sounds like an amazing teacher training program.