Would you be interested in taking on a student teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sunshine*inc, Apr 19, 2010.

1. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 19, 2010

I went out to lunch last week with three teachers from a school that I sub at quite regularly. I will begin student teaching in the fall so we were discussing that topic. All of them said they would not be interested in taking on a student teacher citing poor previous experiences, additional time they have to spend planning, and giving up control of their classroom especially near testing. These same teachers have offered to have me student teach in their class if I can request a school but I think it's because they know me personally. I don't believe that they receive any compensation for being a cooperating teacher. If asked, would you take on a student teacher?

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2010

When I was a student teacher the cooperating teacher recieved $200 for the six weeks, most of the other colleges give 1.5 credits for the six weeks, 3 if they do the whole semester 12 weeks/2 student teachers.....most of the cooperating teachers can then sell these credit vouchers for about $1000 for 3 credits.

It could be a lot of work or it could be very beneficial to you as a cooperating teacher, I guess it depends on person and the screening process the colleges use.

4. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 19, 2010

I would.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2010

I would, but it likely won't happen because of my Special Ed position.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 20, 2010

I have a student teacher right now.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2010

I would and I have.

But I admit it's hard seeing a student flounder with a lesson when I KNOW that I know the words that could clear up the misunderstanding.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2010

I have had many student teachers and most of them have done fine. However, my last st had to be removed from the classroom. I think I would be willing to try it again, though.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2010

I have one right now, and while I've had no problems at all - she's great - I don't think I'll do it again next year, mostly because I'm so bored right now! This is the last week of her four-week takeover, and I've created new assignments, read several books, and done whatever I could do without disturbing her teaching, but I'm eager to get back to my seniors. They miss me, too, which is gratifying. Of course, that honeymoon will last exactly one day...wait until they see the final project I have planned for them! :D (BTW, I got $200 from her university.)

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 20, 2010

I would. It's hard, it's extra work, but I think its worth the extra effort.

(besides, then I would know my ST would be just as fabulous as I am) :rofl:

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 20, 2010

I would absolutely love to have a student teacher. I have had some college volunteers come in off and on.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 20, 2010

I've never had one before, but I would.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 20, 2010

My school is too weird for student teaching. Besides, I don't know if I could handle having a student teacher work next to me while I'm at home in my pajamas...:whistle:

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2010

I would once I had a little more teaching experience under my belt.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 20, 2010

I have, but I won't anytime soon. Not because of them, but because my room is too small. When I get in my new room and have room for two adults and the kids, I might. I think my teaching arrangement is unusual enough for Early Childhood, that they would learn a lot.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 20, 2010

I KNOW! I am bored to tears! And, I miss my students so much!

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Apr 20, 2010

i have but - it depends - some experiences are sooo good but others are not. Now, I will take them at my school, but only after I get the change to do a preliminary interview to see if we mesh.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2010

Have you taught in public school? In Louisiana, you must student teach in public school. That is the reason that I did not student teach. With physics, I was hired right away by a private school. I am really just being nosy Alice because I thought you had always taught at your current school.

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2010

I absolutely love the student teacher I have right now. And I did get paid by the college the last time I had one. I think it's wonderful having student teachers.

20. obsteve

obsteve Rookie

Apr 20, 2010

That's shocking. Miserable sods! I would take on a student teacher at the drop of a hat. I love team teaching!

21. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 20, 2010

My mom has had several. Some have been great, some just OK. I know some teachers who will only take from a particular university, because of their experience with students from different placements, and they know that particular school prepares them well.

I'd be willing to, once I have some more experience :)

22. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 20, 2010

I have a student teacher right now.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2010

I have had both student teachers and interns. I really like having interns better. I have a hard time letting go and having someone else run my classroom. Interns have their own classroom, so I'm much better with them. Plus, I usually have the student teachers for such a short time that it's harder to see progress. I have the intern all year.

I'd still take another student teacher.

24. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Apr 20, 2010

I'm at a private school, and we've had student teachers (in fact, we have one right now!)

25. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 20, 2010

I would take one a few years down the road, when I've been in a grade level for more than two years or so... who knows when that will happen, though!

26. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Apr 20, 2010

I have a student teacher right now. She's great!!!! I have had several great student teachers over the years and only one bad experience. We received no $ and no credits from the colleges. Oh, I am also a mentor this year too.

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 20, 2010

Boy, terms are different everywhere. Here practicum students are observers/aides/etc. Interns are student teachers who take over the classroom for a while.

28. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 20, 2010

I don't know if I would...It's only my 2nd year, so I don't feel that I have enough experience at this point. My main concern would be completing everything that I would like to complete. I feel really crunched to get things done now, so I would be worried about a ST having to re-teach something, or taking longer to teach something. At the same time, it would be nice to have a good ST to keep me on my toes and give me new ideas.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2010

I've taken a ST several times...Out of 4,only 1 was great. It's a lot of work for the CT, it's hard to turn over the total responsibility of a class to someone else (and 2 of the experiences I only turned over SOME lessons...) I would do it again though as I am passionate about what we do, feel it is important to encourage new 'talent', and love the possibilities of learning from each other...
    You are right= there is LIMITED 'compensation' for being a CT...I get PD 'points' for it, some schools offer a free class (I'm at the top of salary scale, only take classes I really want to take so those are kind of wasted on me), another school has an 'appreciation dinner'...Don't do it for the comps...do it because you love what you do and because you want to share that with/encourage new teachers.

30. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Apr 20, 2010

I would but in my job that opportunity hasn't happened yet. I had an amazing experience being a student teacher. My teachers were compensated, however, one of them gave the money back as a gift! She said that I could use the money to help buy supplies for my classroom!

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 20, 2010

Wow Tearoses!

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2010

Chem, I taught for 7 years in one Catholic high school, and have been at this one for15 years. We don't get a lot of student teachers, but have had one or two along the way.

33. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2010

I was curious--Louisiana does not allow you to do student teaching in a private school but apparently some states do.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2010

I guess; I never stopped to question it.

I student taught at a NYC public high school.

35. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 20, 2010

Am I the only one who wouldn't be thrilled about having a student teacher?

I think the only way I'd have a student teacher is if I had met him or her before (hopefully he or she had been a substitute teacher at my school on several occasions). Otherwise, I would not take on a random person.

I had a wonderful experience as a student teacher, but my master teacher said that I was the first strong student teacher she had ever had. I recently spoke to her and she said she decided to take on another student teacher after me. "BAD MISTAKE," she said!

Anyway, it'd be so hard for me to give up control. It'd also be hard for me to watch a lesson "bomb" right in front of me. Plus, I'd miss my kids while the student teacher was doing his/her solo weeks.

Yes, I am sure that I am probably in the minority on this subject...

36. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Apr 20, 2010

I know, she (CT) was so kind! I will always remember and appreciate her. She was (retired now) an Outstanding teacher!

37. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 20, 2010

I'm in a weird situation where I'll be a resident student teacher, so I'll start the school year with my mentor teacher and end the school year with them. I will gradually take on lessons the first half of the year and teach a good portion of the second half (Spring).

I'm scared! But we have a lot of time to meet our mentors and socialize a bit during the summer. I think this will be beneficial to just showing up at some random time.

38. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2010

My student teacher just completed her student teaching in my class at the end of March. I enjoyed the time, but I have to admit that it was emotionally taxing (I really liked her company and adjusting to her being gone has been a little sad), and it was hard to give up control (not to mention boring when I was not teaching). If asked again, I don't think I would say no, but I don't think I would be ecstatic either.

39. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 20, 2010

I wouldn't be eager to take on a student teacher the way the system works around here. What MsDippel is doing sounds better, and in general I think that something more like an apprenticeship program would better serve student teachers and the classrooms they work in.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

Even if you are in the minority, that's OK. We're open to a variety of opinions :)

But I love teaching. So I enjoy showing other people how to do it, kind of the way my husband loves to talk about photography.

41. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 21, 2010

My husband has had one every spring for the last 5 years. In Ag in Oklahoma, the rules are different. The student teacher is only allowed to go to established programs with strong teachers. Then they have to do their student teaching 50 miles away from their home town. The coop teacher(s) must not only have experience, but must run a 3 star program. They are asked by the university and then the follow up is more frequent than the regular classroom teacher. That is probably why most Ag student teachers have a great experience. The "best" coop teachers are allowed to pick the student teacher they get.