Would you be able to or know someone who could?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by a2z, Aug 2, 2020.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2020

There are lots of books and movies about society having to start over due to an apocalypse of some sort. Watching parents form "pods" for teaching when our educational system had a drastic change made me think about this some more. I'm not here to discuss "Pods" or any such topic as a political or current event. Hearing stories for hears about "preppers" and skills they are learning to survive a major change makes me question whether it is really worth all of that but then I realize how few survival skills most, including me, would actually have.

But what would you be able to do if society as we knew it didn't exist? Do you know people with other skills? Would you know how to preserve meats, find safe water or make existing water safe, build a house if you had to move, grow enough food to feed a family, make simple machines to help with lifting, etc?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2020

Survivorman was a terrific show -- an ex-marine would be stranded in the wilderness to be picked up in several days and would have to fend for himself. One of the things he often needed to do was to get safe water (in some cases, he was stranded in a raft in the ocean or in the desert). So yes, I'd know a few ways to get safe water.

Growing food would be a pain, but it would be even worse than might be obvious because the effective way to do it involves either machinery or beasts of burden to plant enough.

The other thing I could probably do is start a fire.

Any house I built would be pretty crude.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 3, 2020

I actually do know how to do a lot of things. I used to teach a survival skills class. I can garden and sew and preserve food. I’m pretty girly and appear high maintenance, but I could get by if needed.

Caesar753 and Tired Teacher like this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Aug 3, 2020

Most rural Alaskans are preppers. You couldn't survive very well w/out some skills and a group of friends with other skill sets. I can grow food in the summers, dipnet fish, smoke them, shoot, skin a moose, keep a woodstove running, freeze dry some foods, and much more. I have friends who can do much more than me b/c I did not grow up here. I have 2 safe water supplies nearby and a Big Berkey too to purify water. :)
    My bf can do and has 100X more skills and things than me. It takes a group that you trust. I think even people in the states should be prepared for disasters. Have a plan w/ family and friends for different scenarios. My family now has a boat plan if a road washout or bridge happens again.
    We had a flood that washed out the only bridge (way) to my house. It was not repaired for months. Fortunately for me, we have a small runway ( I think 1 out of 4 men have planes here.) and I keep things I use stocked.
    We have had earthquakes that can leave your wells and structures messed up. You need water purification (gravity fed) like Big Berkeys. You can make your own if you don't want to buy them. My bf has several structures. You have to stretch your connections w/ people in different parts of the state too. We had wildfires here 1x that came so close, that we came close to losing a lot. That is when I realized the importance of keeping agreements w/ a couple others who live far away from here.
    Oh, and if you ever need to learn how to do things like filter water, raised bed gardening, or any skill, you tube has a lot of prepper videos to learn from. Learn a skill a month and by the yrs end, you'll be better off. Remember the 2 most important things: water and shelter. Some people get into food prepping 1st. Not a good idea...You need water and shelter 1st.
    You don't want to get overly paranoid or obsessed ( I did for a couple of yrs.) However, you should be prepared for what might happen or you will find yourself at the mercy of the gvt which does not seem to work to well when I think back to Hurricane Katrina.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2020

Thanks for the great replies. I can't imagine a family who has lived several generations in a city with little to no land having many of these skills.

I can sew provided I have some type of "fabric" and some type of thread. I know a few ways to get water and a few ways to purify water depending on what is available. I'm not sure I could start a fire without some type of flint, matches, or lighter.
    I have tried to grow gardens before but had limited success. due to different bugs or worms killing the plants.
    I can fish.

7. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Aug 3, 2020

No, other than basic sewing and very, very basic gardening , I'd have to hope I could pick up some of these skills pretty quicklyo_O
    I read an interesting article not long ago about people who are basically living in the wild now, because they feel that living off the land and using those skills is the most authentic way to live or something. And you can take classes from them (I guess they still use money to a certain extent). It was...interesting.
    Just googled it. A woman named Lynx will teach you the skills needed to live in the Stone Age.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 3, 2020

It was 1981 before my grandparents lived in a house with indoor plumbing. They didn’t get electricity until the mid 1960’s. My parents always grew a big garden and preserved food.

I’m always surprised at how many people lack basic cooking, gardening, and repair skills.

9. rpan

rpan Cohort

Aug 4, 2020

I’d be one of those totally lost. I can’t sew (I mean buttons are fine but no for actual clothing), can’t hunt, fish or camp. Skinning anything except fish is out of the question. I might be able to grow a weed or two but nothing more than that. I could rely on water purification kits but can’t do it Bear Grylls style using socks and stones and what not. I wouldn’t be able to start a fire in the wild. If I got stranded on a deserted island or lost in the forest I’d be fair game for the wild life.
    I’m very impressed with your repertoire of survival skills Tired Teacher!

10. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Aug 4, 2020

I read somewhere you can live 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water, 3 hours in extreme (hot or cold) conditions, and 3 minutes without air. So it makes sense that priority is shelter, then water, then food. Also, it's easier to find a car, a boat, a house, or a plane, than a human, so stay near the wreckage!

And that's the extent of my survival knowledge.... But I am willing to learn more.

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2020

I can almost guarantee I wouldn't make a week. LOL Knowing me I would choose poison ivy for a salad. :)

I am enjoying the posts.

12. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Aug 4, 2020

Ok, poison ivy I would recognize:p
    And I know enough not to risk mushrooms, even if they look ok.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2020

I would be OK with a lot of the science stuff, can cook and grow food, definitely would recognize poison ivy, oak, and sumac, would eschew all mushrooms. Some things I could fix - I'm logical, but my husband is the one you would want if you had major items to fix - he has all of that stuff down pat. However, he can't cook, so we would need to be a package deal. :cool:

14. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 4, 2020

My "squad" and I jokingly made a zombie plan and it turns out we're a pretty useful bunch. I can sew, knit, spin yarn (badly), weave or felt rudimentary fabric, cook on a fire, and garden. I know of a handful of wild edibles, like kudzu and dandelion. My besties know other plants, medicinal botany, fishing, and one's in nursing school. The nurse's SO is a vet, so we're covered there. Then there's the fisherwoman's sister and brother-in-law, the engineers.

With the part of the country we're in, you're never too far from a fresh water source, so it's just running it through a rudimentary fabric-and-charcoal filter, then bada-bing, bada-boil and you've got potable water.

15. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2020

Make sure you keep those Iodine pills handy. I don't think radiation filters out so easy.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2020

I could manage pretty well. My hoosband and I have participated in emergency preparedness as a hobby for at least 10 years.

17. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Sep 13, 2020

I actually hate cleaning fish. I always let the guys do it, but I know how! ;) I never in my life thought I'd hunt moose until about 10 years ago. I can shoot one, but do not have the equipment to gut and hang it. I wouldn't really want to either...lol Skinning it is not hard though once it is hanging up.
    I am not much of a seamstress either. I can do buttons, hem, make curtains ( easy) and patch stuff, but if I made an outfit, it'd be crooked probably. I remember in home ec the teacher wrote on my final project : It doesn't seem that sewing is one of your finer skills. You might want to spend more time practicing cooking. C- , my grade! :) I'd never gotten a C before that!
    Almost any skill you want to learn is on you tube nowadays. I take notes, stop the video if confused, listen until I get it ( sometimes I'll listen to several different ones too b/c they have different hints or shortcuts), and then usually I'll try to do it with a skilled friend a few times. With all that is going on in the world lately, I think it is a good idea for people to know how to live "off the grid" if needed.

18. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Sep 13, 2020

OMGoodness! Laughing! Too funny!