Would you bail?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Feb 17, 2020.

1. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Feb 17, 2020

Well, our building work day on Friday revealed some um, interesting information. We all had to sit through a two-hour meeting about our test data and it's not pretty. The scores from last year were a huge drop from the year before, and we're now at a D rating because of that. There is now an uncomfortable, tunnel-vision focus on improving test scores, including instructional strategies that we're ALL supposed to use, even we who teach "specials". I'm not thrilled with that, especially since I already do a ton of content integration, but whatever, if I can make it make instructional sense, I'll go along with it. If things don't improve, we're in serious danger of the state putting us on an improvement plan.

What I didn't know prior to Friday's meeting is making me think I need to run after this year, even more than I was already considering it. We knew that our lead admin was retiring and his replacement has been shadowing and gradually taking over duties this year. What we didn't know was that our 2nd-in-command is also leaving. I didn't know that the admin who is taking over next year had been P at a failing school in our district. It seems a little too strange that the school she was at was failing, then she's promoted and suddenly that school is failing too. I know that the future top admin doesn't like me; she was super rude to me during my interview and it was made clear to me when I took the job that I was the second-choice candidate. Between possible state takeover and only being left with an admin who doesn't like me (and most of us teachers aren't fond of her), should I run, or am I being premature in my decisions? WWYD?

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 17, 2020

I’d be out. Just my :2cents:.

I’ve been through several admin changes. They’ve all been rough. It doesn’t sound like there’s a huge reason to stay, so why not give something else a try?

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 17, 2020

I think it's at least worth seeing what else is out there. Since you already have a job, you're in position to really interview potential new schools as much as they're interviewing you. Figure out what you're most looking for and ask a lot of questions.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 17, 2020

Also admin will probably be happy to write you a letter of rec since it doesn’t matter to them if you stay or go.

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2020

I'd definitely look at other options but I wouldn't resign my position unless/until I found something else.

MrTempest and otterpop like this.
  7. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Feb 17, 2020

No, I wouldn't go that far this soon. Not that it matters anyway at this point. This is my first year at this school, heck, in this state, so I don't have tenure or any real ties to the school/district. I'm in a major city, so I have other places to look without major upheaval. I won't have to make a final decision until probably April when contracts for next year come out. It's possible I'd be looking for a new job anyway since my position is new-ish, or at least my duties are different than what the position has been in the past.

I'm trying to decide if I need to go into full-on exit plan mode and prepare to leave. If I do, I'll need to be getting my ducks in a row soon in regards to updating my resume, getting fresh letters of rec., making plans to leave my kids etc. I will feel bad about being the 3rd person in as many years, but I have to do what's right for me professionally, and my household in regards to stress and relationship time. I'm in a position to network a little with my other gig, so maybe it's time I take that opportunity.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2020

Run.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 18, 2020

I'd bail.

I've spoken before about ignoring the writing on the wall.

Tired Teacher and otterpop like this.
  10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Feb 22, 2020

A bit of a different perspective: I have seen numerous P's come and go over the years. The 1 thing they all had in common was they were nice YR 1 and did not try to shake things up until yr 2.
    So....you could plan your exit for the next yr because that is when it could get real bad. You'd have a fairly easy yr w/ a new P if you flew under the radar as much as possible. :)
    Oh, I just reread part 1 about the main P doesn't like you and was rude. I think I'd go w/ exit strategy if that were the case. Working w/ a P that is disrespectful is not worth it. I've never been in a school where the state takes over, but have heard it is not pretty.