Would you all mind sharing?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Brendan, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 8, 2007

Posted on other board without a response...
    I am doing a presentation on grading (including perentages like 50% tests, etc) , teacher organization tips/ideas, expectations, policies, procedures next week. Basically any thing to do with being organized, any tip in general, how to run a classroom, how to grade, nothing that is really subject specific (kind of like the things you would find on a syllabus . Would you all mind sharing suff like this. I have looked over all syllabi, polcies, expecations, etc. that were on here and have compiled them. BTW, I will be telling the teachers that alot of these are not of my invention.

I would appreciate any help any of you could offer me. (I am kind of freaking here as the new pprincipal asked me to do this and I have never gave a presentation to the entire teacher body before of our MS/HS.)

Thanks,

Brendan

3. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Sep 9, 2007

I would love to help but I am not exactly sure what you are looking for.

4. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

sending you a PM with my syllabus.. hopefully something in there will help?

5. VA2500

VA2500 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

Not sure what you are looking for, but would suggest you add a bit of humor in your presentation. Since you are presenting to your peers you might include mistakes you have made. They will be able to relate to that as most will have made the same mistakes and new teachers will be able to avoid them.

On grade books - rather than keeping grades by test scores you might consider keeping them by standard. This way you can see if you are actually covering the standards and how much you are addressing each standard. Keeping grades by standards will help you to see if you are revisiting standards often enough. Within each standard you can still have places for homework, tests, whatever. If your electronic gradebook cannot handle this I would keep a spreadsheet then just dump the grades into the gradebook. You might give tips on how to do this.

VA

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 9, 2007

Make sure to tell them all to register at AtoZteacherstuff.com.

Will these be new teachers or veterans?

7. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Sep 9, 2007

My one general organization tip would be to create a binder that has: class lists, parent contact info, parent contact log, discipline log, and retention notices. I keep a binder like this and it's very handy, especially for evaluation purposes.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 9, 2007

It will be all our teachers close to 300! Thanks on suggestion about the standard, but we do not do standards based grades.

I guess I am looking for any tip in regards to how you grade, how you keep you or your students oranized, any policies you use to make yourlives easier, just anything you can think of.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2007

I'll send you a copy of my Course Expectations handout if you send me your email address. Until then, here are some of the high points:

Grading: I grade using the scale specified by my school and district (90, 80, 70...). I've chosen to use a total points system this year, and it seems to be working out so far. I require students to use a grade tracking sheet (which I'd be happy to send you) so that they can keep track of their quarter grade. I require students to copy the day's agenda into their daily planners as a way to keep them better organized. I require that they turn in all assignments on the due date and I do not accept late work (because I believe that no one will rise to meet low expectations, and my job is to help students make their way ad astra per aspera--to the stars through hard work). I require students to complete a bellringer assignment each day, and it cannot be made up if the student is absent or tardy because it counts as participation points. We do a lot of in-class grading so that students can receive immediate feedback on their work. I grade on an attempted/not attempted basis for most homework and classwork, so this cuts down on the amount of stuff I have to actually grade.

Student supplies: I require students to have and maintain a binder (or space in a larger binder), paper, writing utensils, index cards to be used as flash cards for vocab, a daily planner, and a dry erase marker. They need to bring these things every day.

Extra credit: I offer extra credit throughout the year in a variety of formats. In no case can a student raise his score more than 4% due to extra credit. This prevents students from getting "instead of" credit (a term I heard on here!) when they don't do their regular work.

Absence policy: Students are required to be responsible for their own make-up work. They locate absent work in the absent binder and turn it into me within three days of returning from their absence. I won't hunt down students because a) they need to be responsible and b) I have way too many students to remember who was absent when. Students are not permitted to make up work if their absence was found to have been a truancy.

Classroom behavior expectations: Students must actively participate each day. I award participation points at random throughout the quarter for preparedness and participation.

Academic dishonesty: I don't tolerate it. If a student is found to have been cheating (or if they did something that makes me think that they cheated), I will give them a zero on the assignment and refer them to the deans' office.