Would this work to reduce/eliminate copy use?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

I'd like to supply certain handouts/worksheets to students next year. These would include things like translation passages, practice activities, paradigms, and readings. The problem is that I'm expecting our district to severely limit the number of copies we're allowed to make.

I'd like to work around that by posting my handouts online and requiring students to print them off before class. I know that students will be able to access them online because there are student computers in my classroom and the library for students who don't have computer/internet access at home. The thing is that I wouldn't be able to provide paper for students to print stuff on, and the library charges 10 cents per page.

I was thinking that I could ask students to supply a ream of paper at the beginning of the year. They can keep it in my room and it can either remain their own ream (no one else can use) or can go into a classroom supply of paper. Then they'll be able to print whatever they want in my classroom.

For students who choose not to bring their own paper and do not bring their printed handouts to class, they'll have to copy the handouts by hand.

Do these ideas seem reasonable? What problems do you foresee? I don't want to make things difficult for my students...but I feel like I'm working within extremely limited parameters.

3. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

How many handouts would there be throughout the year? My concern wouldn't be paper so much as ink. Ink can be expensive. It is a good solution to limited copying though. How would you be posting them online? If it is a website like Blackboard, you could possibly make any worksheets or exercises into completely online exercises and then they wouldn't have to print at all.
    But this would be good practice for college...I have to print things all the time for class!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

I hadn't thought about the ink. I know that our laser printers are able to print several thousand pages before needing new toner cartridges. I can look into this one.

I had considered making the assignments so that students could complete them online, but I just don't know how much that would work. For starters, my subject area requires a lot of steps and notations (a lot like math) and I'm just not sure that it is conducive to typing. Also, I'm not sure that my students would have extended access to the computers, like enough time to complete the assignment there at the computer. Hmmm....

And yes, I'd post them online using something like Weebly or Google Groups or Google Docs.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 15, 2010

Do students have enough time to access a computer during the day? I know I would probably wait until last minute, maybe 2 minutes before class started, and then think 'shoot! I have to print those out...'. And then all the computers would be busy or on the other side of the school. Will there be a huge line at the computer, slowed down by logging on and off to print? Or do they not need them FOR class, just for homework?

If kids are printing them in your room, do they have a computer they can use just for this so they aren't on your personal computer all the time? Would you have specific times they could come in and print them out?

What would happen if they didn't print them out-could they still participate in class?

Also, if they keep their ream to themselves, how would you make sure kids aren't taking from other kids' reams? Where would you store them?

6. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

I was thinking about the ink for home computers, the ink tends to go quickly. The big printers wouldn't be so much of a problem, unless your school cuts back on number of print outs or how much toner they will purchase or something. But if the intent is for people who have computers at home to print at home, I'm wondering if people might complain? Because you don't want every student to be printing in your room, just the ones who don't have access to it at home, correct?

I see what you're saying about it being too complicated for an online assignment. The only way around that I see is if you had them do the work on a separate scrap sheet of paper and then input only the answer. But I have no clue what your exercises look like so this may not make sense to do.

Jem brings up good points about when the kids are going to do the printing as well. I'm envisioning a big line at the classroom computer the day they need to bring the handouts. :haha:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

They would likely not have access throughout the day. They could access the computers before school, during lunch, and after school. It would definitely require students to be responsible and make a plan.

They would need the handouts for class and for homework. I'd like them to supplement what we do in class. I'm not allowed to issue textbooks (which are awful anyway, so it's really okay).

Paper storage is an issue. I do have a lockable cabinet where we could keep the paper and only I would be able to access it. Frankly I don't want to have to go in and out of that cabinet all the time to retrieve paper. For that reason I'd really prefer a community supply of paper, but I don't know how 'fair' I feel that would be.

Sigh. I just wish my school had money! Arg!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

It's totally fine with it if they print in my room as long as they supply the paper. My student printer is totally dedicated for their use, so it doesn't impede my activities one way or the other. There are two desktops dedicated to student use, as well as 24 laptops which I should have in my room again next year. None of my students ever uses my teacher computer, so it doesn't inconvenience me at all.

If they choose to print at home, I guess that's their call.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

Cassie~how big are your class sizes? I'm thinking you could do the assignments on the computer if 24 is enough for each student in your classes. Do you have a way to display this where the students could see it too? I think this is a great idea!!! And one that will definitely help with the budget, especially if you could find a way to go totally paperless.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

My class sizes this year are 35-45. I anticipate that they will be larger next year. That is, as long as I have a job and am not RIFed.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 15, 2010

I know if I tried something like this at least half my students wouldn't have the stuff printed out at the start of class and they'd all want to get on the classroom computer to do it. Then we'd loose 5-10 minutes every day getting printing done. So although in theory it sounds good, I don't think in reality it would work.

Maybe instead focus as much as you can on the students doing the work on their own paper (loose leaf) while you have a projected image of the worksheet up on the board (as a transparency or computerized, whatever you have access to). And as much as possible avoid the use of the actual handout.

Out of curiosity, do you actually have 45 desks in your class of 45? I just can't picture that many desks even fitting in a room.

12. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Feb 15, 2010

Our copy budget is mostly based on number of copies (not paper) so having the kids bring paper for us wouldn't help. For instance, if something is copied and it's 2-sided, it's considered 2 copies. We like to reduce stuff so that two pages can fit onto the front of one page.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

I have 44 desks in my room. The extra student sits at my desk during class. It stinks. There isn't enough to walk around the room comfortably.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

Well, I'm not willing to lose that amount of time. Either students would have what they need to have when class starts, or they would spend their own time copying stuff onto their own paper by hand.

This year and in years past I have had students do stuff on their own paper while I project it on the Promethean or they have access to a class set of readings. What I don't like about this method is that students don't have access to the questions for study purposes, just the answers that they write down. I also don't like that I can't do anything else on the board while I'm projecting the questions. I also don't like that students aren't able to annotate the texts, which is a very important part of Latin. Without individual copies, they have to copy entire passages onto their own paper by hand, which is tedious and increases the chances of students making spelling errors (which is a nightmare and results in completely nonsensical responses).

15. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

Is there any way you could organize your "for sure" papers in order and have a workbook of sorts created for students at the beginning of the year? It could be worked into class fees, maybe.

My son's chemistry teacher does this for all labs planned.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

We don't have class fees.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2010

My homeroom currently has 42 desks, and I could easily fit another 6 across the front. I've taught classes as large as 45-- AND put up a Christmas Tree in season.

It's a little tight, but it works.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2010

Cassie, is there anyway you could laminate one set and reuse it from year to year?

Or could you change the passages and use ones in the textbook?

Can you find them online and put them up on a projector, and make it an oral exercise instead of a written one, or one where the kids don't have to copy the whole passage?

Cassie, I really have to hand it to you. Instead of moaning and whining about the budget cuts and what they're doing to your school and your classes, you're being proactive-- looking for ways to save money and still provide a quality education to your kids.

Hats off to you!!!

19. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Feb 16, 2010

I'm glad you are thinking outside the box. I really don't think its fair to essentially require high school students to make their own copies. And I think it would be a mess to manage (students forgetting, coming in and wanting to print when you want to get started etc).
    Plus the toner in a printer is more expensive than copy toner even in laser printers.
    Put the readings and questions online as documents. Then have students do their work on paper as before. If students want to print them they can, others will write on notebook paper (much cheaper than printer paper). They can refer back to the documents/questions online to study. For those w/o computer access at home, encourage study partners, or allow them to use your computers to study on after school. Or make just a few copies and lend them out for study purposes for those who bring in a signed note from home saying they don't have online access.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 16, 2010

If my son needed the handouts and there were not paper available, I would provide the teacher a ream of paper. I have sent paper to teachers before that needed them for special assignments. And if you only needed 200 copies per child and I sent a ream of 500, that would take care of two kids. Also we have had business partners in the past that bought us supplies. Contact some businesses and ask for paper. You will be surprised at who will give it to you. A local bank was my business partner. They brought boxes of paper and games to us (about 5 teachers) twice a year. It was wonderful. They would also give us pens and items with thier logos on them for the kids as rewards.

21. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 16, 2010

I started scanning in my documents and posting them up at my Moodle site for students to download. In order to save paper, I then put up a discussion forum or another type of activity (like a quiz feature) and students can type their responses. Not sure about what technology your kids could access at school or at home, but my students really enjoyed using this type of activity for homework.

I would avoid making students who didn't bring in paper (for whatever reason) copy it by hand. What you could do instead is do a room fundraiser where students just drop in whatever change they want to donate for paper supplies. I know I always have pennies and nickles I never use that could be put to use for other school supplies. Then do some hunting to find the cheapest way of getting paper: Sam's Club 500 sheets for $3.78, Google shopping search for paper.

22. wrice

wrice Habitué

Feb 16, 2010

Print it all up into a labbook, copy and bind it at Kinkos, and have the kids buy it. We do that all the time, $5 for course materials. Saves them having to buy the ream of paper.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2010

The big office supply stores do printing and binding, too - or you could see if a local printshop would be willing to donate reproduction services, or even if a company that doesn't specifically do printing would be willing to make copies for you. If you're already turning your docs into pdfs anyway, it's usually easy to email pdfs for printing.

24. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 16, 2010

I've done this in the past for my APUSH workbooks and it works out pretty well. Our local staples has been happy to provide their services for free.

25. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 16, 2010

Seems that would be quite unfair to the kids who come from lower income levels and could never afford to buy paper to bring - and no doubt they would be made fun of by the others for always having to handcopy the work

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2010

They wouldn't be made fun of in my room.

I'm happy to provide for students who truly cannot provide their own, as I am willing to do already for other supplies like paper, pencils, etc. All they have to do is ask, and they know that.