Would this make you mad?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RitaFirstGrade, Aug 13, 2006.

1. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 13, 2006

I will have tables instead of desks this year and want to do community supplies. I will collect glue sticks and pencils from the kids and distribute them into a tote for each table (4 totes altogether). if the kids brought special pencils with pictures or designs, i will send them home and keep just the regular yellow pencils for community supplies. I will send home crayons and crayon boxes for students to use for homework. I will then supply crayons for each table's tote. I will make up cute stickers for the crayon boxes that say "______'s Homework Box" or something to that effect. I plan on putting this infromation in my first letter to parents and also talking about it at back to School Night a couple days befroe school starts. Would this make you angry as a parent? Do you think the kids won't want to share? Am I wrong to make them share their special supplies? I just know that I will love not having kids rummaging through desks to find pencils and crayons! I did community supplies at the end of last year and I loved it! Opinions?

3. breneem

breneem Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

That's what we do, and it is even written on the school supplies list. It is much easier for us :)

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

Wouldn't make me mad at all. Some parents may not be used to it, but if they get upset then they have other issues! Our whole school uses community supplies. Still we have parents who individually label things. (I've had parents send in boxes of crayons with individually labeled crayons in them!)

You aren't even asking students to share their "special" supplies because you are sending them back home with the students.

You are right that community supplies simplify things. Everyone always has a pencil, glue stick, etc. I teach K and I do prefer to have all one type of glue stick out or have all one color pencil in each table's basket. Because otherwise someone wants the blue glue stick or the red pencil. Other than that, we don't have any sharing issues.

5. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

as long as you tell them about it, I wouldn't be mad. If you jsut sent stuff home, then maybe.

A 4th grade teacher in my school sends everything back home too. She said, "The supply list doesn't say, bring everything to school. I want them to have it when they need it."

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

Now that would make me mad! My son would already have scissors and everything at home. I'd spend money on supplies for school, only to have them sent back home. Then he'd have duplicates! (It is not horrible, but that teacher should communicate a little better!)

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 13, 2006

I do something very similar - I let parents know in a letter sent home early in the summer that all supplies will be provided and shared... if anyone wants to bring in their own, that is fine, as long as they share - if they don't want to share something, leave it at home - plain and simple. I think most parents love this - it reduces stress over school supplies shopping.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2006

I had several parents who are anti sharing this year... I am having to rethink some of my usual supply snatching processes lol!

I told the kids that if we are out of paper in Feb,then we are out. I am not spending my own money!

9. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

There was a discussion on another board (not related to teaching) about this very subject. Most people who responded (and it was maybe 6+ pages) hated the idea of community supplies. They felt like teachers were expecting parents to supply things for kids who didn't bring anything in. They didn't have extra money to stock things for other children.

I think parents may go either way. Many probably won't say much, but I've personally heard too many complaints. As a result, my kids get to keep their things, so long as it isn't distracting. I stocked up on cheap supplies for my community supplies. Since I purchased them, what is there to complain about? I have all of the crayons, markers, scissors, rulers, glue, etc. The only thing my kids must have is paper and pencils. But I also stockpiled on loose-leaf paper. I use golf pencils for those that don't have one. It just makes it easier for me.

The only things I do not want children to have are pencil boxes and binders due to storage space limitations. Those will be sent home (they weren't on supply lists either). They may instead use pencil pouches and folders.

10. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

Our school puts out a class supply list that each student is to bring in and specifically states on the list that ALL supplies brought to school, except those identified as individual (asterisk) are to be shared by all. (Usually only the backpacks, lunchboxes, and personal water bottles (AZ is hot, so kids are encouraged to stay hydrated) are individual). It nicely informs parents that sharing resources, not only teaches a valuable lesson by itself, but has been found to keep individual school supply costs down.

It also puts a note about "parents WILL be expected to refill/restock class supplies as requested by the teacher." Since this is reiterated by the school principal, most parents accept it and move on...

11. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

I had to buy all the pencils and paper for my last classroom of 32 kids. It was a daily pencil thing....no one had one...I collected them before lunch and again at the end of the day but never got back 100%. Evey day I had to put out 10-15 more pencils. Notebook paper was a never-ending nightmare!!! I was at the store constantly!!! I got so mad that I swore I wasn't giveing them any omre paper or pencils...the kids were thrilled because they didn't have anything to write with or on so they took naps, walked around the room bugging each other, asked to go to the bathroom....it was awful!!!!

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2006

" Most people who responded (and it was maybe 6+ pages) hated the idea of community supplies. They felt like teachers were expecting parents to supply things for kids who didn't bring anything in. They didn't have extra money to stock things for other children." - cmorris

I've heard this before (never from a parent in my class) and I just don't understand the example they are setting for their kids. I think it would be different if you were asking each parent to bring in extra supplies to make up for those who don't bring them, that's not what we're doing. I personally usually make up for the difference with Wal-Mart sales, so it's not that I am giving their child's scissors to another student.

I also make it community resources if for no other reason than it makes set-up time for work easier. It's not like 24 kids are having to get out their own pencil boxes, and then someone is always missing their red crayon and where are my scissors. It's so much faster to put a tub with 4 of everything on each table. I don't see anything wrong with encouraging an attitude of sharing among the kids.

13. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

As an example, some of them said they had to bring in several boxes of tissues. Their child did not use that many tissues individually. Some also said at the end of the year, there were extra supplies that the teacher kept. Some had legitimate complaints--they claimed they had to spend about $100 per child on supplies. That is way too much, and then their child supposedly didn't get to use all of their supplies. [They may have exaggerated, but I have also seen ridiculous lists...]

I think community supplies are easier myself, but my school imposes a limit on the cost of supplies. My parents, if they shopped back to school sales, should have only spent $5. Everything else, I supply. So it is just much easier to share the supplies I purchased.

14. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Mad?

I wouldn't be upset. That's similar to what I end up doing, because I have 2 or 3 who never bring a single supply for the classroom, so I send a reminder letter home once or twice and if they still don't bring anything, then I let it go. There are plently of supplies and we just share and provide what i have.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2006

That doesn't impress me about the fellow 4th grade teacher. The only thing I am set on keeping seperate for now are the packages of notebook paper and index cards. I let them keep one in their desks at a time and the rest in their backpacks. The rest they have immediately in their desks.

16. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

I think especially if you like do a raffle type thing for who brings what to restock it would not cause many problems. Like say mid year you need more glue, pencils, crayons, etc then you divide it up between the class so everyone only has to bring 2 or 3 things rather then 5 each. This way you have enough for everyone and no one had to spend very much. Also you could always ask each student to bring in a dollar to help restock school supplies, most parents would probably prefer this then having to go shopping themselves. Also you can always ask for donations many parents might be happy to donate school supplies for everyone to use.

The pencil thing I loved what another teacher on here suggested. She had her students leave unsharpened pencils on her desk when they took a sharpened one, this makes it so you always have the same amount of pencils. Then when they get to tiny for you to sharpen you can replace them. I think it is best for the teacher or student helpers to sharpen pencils with an electric sharpener. This cuts down on waste, the manual ones always seem to eat pencils specially when students are using them. By middle school I insisted I have mechanical pencils because there were no decent sharpeners at school and so mechanical were easier. However, I understand this can't be done in lower grades and some schools have issues with mechanical pencils being used as weapons. They are also a bit more expensive.

17. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

I think I would only be mad if I bought everything and spent time labeling it and then it was sent home. If things were stated specifically beforehand then I wouldn't mind.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2006

I bought all of the supplies for my students to share in my classroom using my budget. We go through Southwest, so supplies are nice and cheap. But, at the beginning of the school, I sent home a list of supplies for parents to buy so that my kiddos can do homework at home. So, there is no hassel or problems regarding supplies. It's funny thought, how parents are about kids sharing supplies that they bought. Like someone mentioned, what are they teaching their children. Adults always nag their kids to share and be respectful, but then contradict themselves....

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 10, 2006

I wouldn't want you to send the supplies back home after I bought it either. I did ask ahead of time if this grade was community property. Then I bought supplies ahead of time. That's my knowledge of school peeking through. My son wanted extra erasers for the pencils. Since I knew they would be shared, I simply bought enough for the entire class to have several and then told the teacher they were provided to share.

Usually I have a problem with teacher related supplies being on the list. If it is directly student manipulated, I don't mind at all.

I did buy an extra set of "special pencils" and kept them at home. I found out my oldest son has non community property so I let him have his own brand of markers.

20. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Oct 14, 2006

It wouldnt make me mad but be careful because my kids used to fight over pencils that look exactly the same so I bought bulks of pencils, crayons etc. for their totes that way they couldnt fight over something that was mine.

21. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 14, 2006

We have individual supplies. We also have totes with supplies that students are welcome to use that I buy.

As a parent I don't want my kiddo using a pencil someone else just had in their mouth. Or behind their ear.

22. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2006

I do community supplies...but I provide them so all pencils, scissors, glue etc...are shared by all....
    Some kids do bring in thier own supplies in pencil cases and I can't stand it! There is no room in the desk for it...so we keep them in a big bin and the kids can use them during special times.. when i sayh it is okay! It it were up to me, I would tell the parents to keep all supplies home but the rest of my group wants them....

23. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2006

Rita, if you do this each year couldn't you send out a letter over the summer, once you have a list of students? You could explain how you do this, tell parents what is expected of them.

My son's 5th grade teacher wrote to him in early July the year he was to be in her class. She told him the specifics of her classroom the way she does it, made some small talk, then wished him a good time for the rest of his summer. I thought that was splendid of her, and that was just the beginning of how kind and easy going she was. That was one of his best years, too.

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2006

I have community supplies tha I purchased with my budget. It just make things easier.
    I stress like crazy to my kids about not putting pencils and things like that in their mouth. If they do, I freak out, overexaggerate the whole thing. That sort of activity does not happen in my class, as a result :)

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2006

I wouldn't get "upset"......but that doesn't mean I like it. And that doesn't mean I have "other" issues. I think it comes down to responsiblity, both the parents and the child's. Parents need to be responsible for providing their child with supplies, and the child needs to learn responsibility for taking care of their things. I don't know how that is possible when NO ONE takes ownership.
    Now, are there things we use as a "community" in our classroom? OF COURSE! BUT, children STILL need to learn how to have ownership and responsibility for personal possessions~! Don't want to get started on this one again...so I"ll stop there, for now.:rolleyes:

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 17, 2006

I had community supplies in my "little kid's" room until last week. At which time we found a booger on a pencil. Pencils went into trash can. All students now have their own supplies in pencils boxes. We supplied all the materials including the boxes.
    they keep the boxes under their seats. It is working out great.
    and now I won't be grabbing a booger pencil!:D

27. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

I also sent out a list saying some of the things would become 'community property' and other things would be specifically for the individual student's use.

The one additional thing I did was to specifically make a class "WISH LIST" and listed if a family felt they were able to contribute 'extra' of items to the class it would be appreciated, but not at all expected. I listed everything from additional supplies to used, age-appropriate paperbacks to bean bags and other items that I really would like to have in my room. I had a couple of my students bring in enough supplies to stock 2-3 other students--a great lesson on sharing and giving.

That being said, I do have one student who has absolutely refused to put his supplies in the classroom supply closet--the items are "HIS" and no one elses. I have not figured out if this is his opinion or if it was something that came from home.....

28. kburen

kburen Cohort

Oct 18, 2006

Some of our materials are "community" supplies. These are the things that the school purchases for use in the classroom. Glue sticks and scissors for the most part. Students are responsible for their own colored pencils, crayons, markers, pencils and paper. I also teach 5th grade so the crayons aren't that big of a thing. We do have colored pencils on the supply list because they are used, but if they don't have them, they usually share with their friends anyway. I also do a behavior system with points that the students can save up to "buy" things with. Pencils, erasers, colored pencils, markers, crayons, scissors and glue are included in those things. If they ask me for a pencil because they don't have it, I take 15 of their behavior points for it...It teaches them responsibility. If they are without paper for a few days in a row, I make note of it and call or send a note home to mom..>That usually takes care of it.