Would this look bad?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newbie87, Dec 22, 2009.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 22, 2009

I have one absence left and I don't want to go in tomorrow. It snowed here and it's still flithy out. Would it look bad if I called in sick? I know most of the kids are not going to be in. :whistle:

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 22, 2009

Check your employee handbook on absentees before and after a holiday. Many places dock pay if you do not have a medical excuse. I know mine does and it bites.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 22, 2009

Yes, it would look bad, but how bad it looks is going to depend on where you work. The center I worked at required a doctor's note for calling in the day before or after a holiday unless it was pre-approved.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 22, 2009

If I were your employer, I would not be happy. Since only a few kids will be there, go in and have some fun.

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2009

It's BAD because you won't be telling the truth. You are better than that. Catch up on some paper work, change a wall deco, OR hang out with a kid that you haven't paid much attention to.:D
    Do the right thing.
    Rebel1

7. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 22, 2009

It's just so annoying to take buses in the snow. They come late and are over packed. This is for my practicum. No pay.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2009

And it may look bad just because you have already used up all of your absences. How many were you given, and when is your practicum over? What happens if you legitimately need an absence and don't have another to use? Can you be penalized? When I was doing my practicum (but way back then it was called student teaching!), if we used more absences than allotted, we could be forced to re-do the entire semester, because it was considered incomplete.

I'd go in, just because it's the right thing to do, and you are at the stage of your career where people are looking at you carefully and scrutinizing your every move.
    Kim

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2009

N87,
    Dress warm and have a thingy of warm cocoa with you to sip on. One of those mugs you can have in your purse w/out the driver saying, "Sorry no drinking on the bus!"
    Hope you'll stay warm and THINK POSITIVELY. One of your kids will be glad to see you tomorrow and it'll make you forget the cold and packed bus.
    Go make a DIFFERENCE!
    Rebel1

10. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Dec 22, 2009

I have to agree, I don't think it would look good if you didn't go to school, practicum or not. Most likely these are the people that will be writing recommendations for you in the future.

11. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 22, 2009

You may need that one absence later on when something really goes wrong. Go in, show how dedicated you are, and then come home and relax.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

It's the last day before Christmas vacation. The kids are twitching with excitement. They will need all the help they can get, and that means people who know the kids, not strangers.

Yes, it will look bad. It's not about pay or no pay, it's about professionalism. Professionals do the job.

Throw on a red sweater and a Santa hat and go in.

13. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Dec 22, 2009

I remember when I was doing my practicum, I really wanted to impress my school and show them my dedication, so even if I didn't really want to go, I did anyway.

Even if you aren't wanting to work at this school in the future, they'll probably serve as a reference for you when you apply to other jobs. You want them to be able to say that you're reliable.

I have teachers my current school who take "sick" days a lot more than they should, and they aren't looked highly upon.

It's just one day. You'll make it!

14. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Dec 22, 2009

TRUST Me, I just finished my intership /practicum. You better go, unless you have a drs. note. This may come back to bite you later in the game!

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 22, 2009

I agree. Go in. You said you were taking the bus. I would take the bus in, crowded or not. Enjoy the fact that someone else is driving in it. But more importantly, make a good impression on a future employer.

16. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Dec 22, 2009

Whenever I'm teetering "on the fence" between two options, I always try to fall on the conservative side - go to school tomorrow. I found that in-service teachers think differently from pre-service teachers who are still in school. As Alice said, it's called "professionalism". Let us know what you decide.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 22, 2009

Yes, it would look bad, especially because this is your practicum. Go in and show them how dedicated you are. Enjoy the kids. Have fun while you're there.

18. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 22, 2009

I think I'm gonna go in. It's just so annoying to wait for that bus. :( They allow us one absent, but I don't it will look great if I use on our last day. I wish it hadn't snowed. You know, on an off topic, I really dislike how they asked on the application, my university, if you have a vehicle. Then, they place in a school where I have to take two buses. So, why ask?

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2009

I think it would have been WORSE to miss because it's your practicum...glad you're going. :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

You seem to have problems with public transpotation...first the shuttle, now the bus.:p

I had a student teacher who blew off the last few days before a break- she didn't get a glowing recommendation when she left (the missed days were on top of some other unprofessional behavior). Finish your assignment, newbie. This is what teachers do. Act professionally up to your last day. Just do it.

21. tgim

tgim Habitué

Dec 23, 2009

Glad you decided to do the right thing. As a supervisor for pre-service teachers in the past, I had to take into account absences, professionalism, and attitude, in addition to teaching - when doing evaluations. Going in gets you a check in all three columns - for one simple act! Step up to the plate and GO!

22. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 23, 2009

When other teachers are out where I work I have to cover during my prep and/or lose my prep. We don't get many subs around here.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2009

We have on call periods that accomplish the same thing.

I'm only out if either I'm recovering from surgery or someone in my house is really ill.

For example, I've been out three times this year:
    the first week to recover from thyroid surgery, then 2 days: one when both my daughters had a stomach bug (Peter took off day # 2) then a day later that week when I caught it.

24. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 23, 2009

I hope you did the right thing. When you get ready to be hired you're going to want everyone to think of you with highest regards.

25. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Dec 23, 2009

I'm glad you decided to go in. I work in a school where we don't have many subs due to budget (even though we have the days). We have to cover each other classes, so I have very little respect to those who need a "mental health day".

26. tgim

tgim Habitué

Dec 23, 2009

I agree, mental health days are not something I do...I have only been out of my room for professional development days this year.

27. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 23, 2009

I went in. We had a half day, but some of the kids cried when they were told it was my last day. :( My feet hurt. I went to the mall afterwards with a friend.

28. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 23, 2009

Aren't you glad those kids got to see you and say goodbye to you? ! I'm glad we talked you into going in haha :)

29. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 24, 2009

It was nice, but it was sad to see some of them cry. :(

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 24, 2009

Well, yes: but think how much worse it is not to get a chance to say goodbye.

31. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 27, 2009

As a cooperating teacher in an internship program I would be disappointed if my intern did not show up during the last week of school.

It just looks "bad" if you don't have a valid excuse.

No one said being an intern would be easy. I hope you went. :)

Kelly

32. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 27, 2009

I'd need a mental health day if I had to cover other classes all the time, too. I have never taken one, but I sometimes think I might be a better teacher if I did once or twice a year. I may be taking some on doctors orders, as stress is contributing to some serious medical issues for me.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 27, 2009

I take a mental health day now and then. I am in a year round school and do not get snow days. Working 210 days total per year. I might not need one if I worked 180 days a year like most teachers.

34. tgim

tgim Habitué

Dec 27, 2009

I didn't mean to be condescending of those who take MH days - for me it is just harder to prepare for a sub than to "just do it" myself. I do take a personal day to go to the city w/ friends about every 2-3 years. If I taught 210 days, I am sure I would need a MH DAY!

35. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Jan 28, 2010

I know exactly what you mean! The same thing happened to me, except for the part where my university was out in the middle of nowhere, where the buses only go around town and campus. They placed me in a school 15 minutes away and didn't bother to help me get a ride. Not only that, but they changed my placement three weeks before I started! I found someone to carpool with, but he was doing his pre student teaching experience, so when he wasn't available, I had to get other people who weren't student teaching to help me. My first placement, I got lucky and they put me in a school that was within walking distance.