Would this be tacky?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 18, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

I probably know the answer to this already...

We requested that our wedding RSVP's be returned by yesterday, August 17th. Out of 156 invitations, we are still waiting to hear back from 63 people. :unsure:

I few people sent me messages on Facebook, saying that they were coming, and apologizing for sending the card out late. I just can't believe that number...I knew I would need to track down some people, but it would take me a whole day to contact that many people. I don't have their email addresses, and I hate sending bulk messages on facebook, because people hit "reply all," even when you tell them not to, and everyone gets tons of messages.

Would it be distasteful if I posted something as my Facebook status like, "If you have not sent your RSVP for our wedding yet, please send me a message, telling me if you can come to the wedding, so that I can get a final head count. Thank you!"

We have to get the numbers to our vendors by the end of this week, so I just don't know what else to do. I feel like it's rude of people not to send their response back yet, so it can't be much more rude for me to post that on Facebook.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

Do you have any FB friends who were not invited? If so, then I think a post requesting an RSVP would be rude because they would see it and might feel left out. I think it's better to enlist the help of the moms and start making phone calls.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 18, 2013

That's what the wedding party is for. Get them to help out. Split the list up and it will take no time at all.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

This.:thumb:

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

That't what I was worried about, too.

I think I might just start sending out individual messages. I was looking at the list more closely, and many of the people who didn't reply are family members on my mom's side. In many cases, I could just message my aunts and ask if the cousins are coming, as well. Maybe I'll give it until Wednesday when the mail comes, and start sending out messages.

SO ANNOYING!!!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2013

My cousin texted me asking me.
    We didn't do RSVP because we did more of a buffet style... and those number always change...

8. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 18, 2013

This is unfortunately very common. Like others said, that's what the wedding party is for. If you don't have one, recruit other friends. I called about 60 people when I was the maid of honor in a wedding, and more for the bridal shower. I was the only one that did any calling! Also agreeing with above posters that you shouldn't post it on FB unless everyone on your friend list is invited.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2013

I've seen people post almost that exact thing on Facebook. But I agree that you shouldn't do it since there are probably people on your friends list that you didn't invite.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

Wait a couple days to see if you get some more and the like others have suggested, get some help in calling those who have not RSVPed.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

Instead of sending mass-messages on FB, just send it individually and copy and paste the same message. It would take time, but no one's feelings would be hurt, (it would take less time than phone calls) and you can even see if they read your message.
    And yes, get some people to help you.

12. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 18, 2013

In my experience, folks don't return rsvp cards for many reasons. Mostly its because they just forget about your wedding until the last minute when they realize they can't make it and don't want to commit. I'd wait a week or two and then call these people directly myself.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

I try to keep all wedding info/updates off FB because I know some of my FB friends won't be invited. Mostly because of number limits, but no one likes knowing they didn't make the cut.

14. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 20, 2013

A bride to be I am friends with on facebook postedtoday asking for RSVPs back. "Okay everyone if you're planning on coming to the wedding please send your RSVP cards back..There's only two more weeks left to get them in! Thanks" It seems innocent enough, right? But people know no bounds of awkwardness on facebook, so of course someone posted "I didn't get one :("

I wouldn't do a fb RSVP request because I do think it is a bit tacky, but geez... Why do people feel the need to do things like that?

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 20, 2013

I would do this. And then call anyone who doesn't have a Facebook.

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2013

Unless there are some FB friends who expected an invite and didn't get one I think the FB post is a great Idea most FB friends know where they stand as to invites
    I also think the wedding party doing the calls is a great idea give them something to do other than complaining how "ugly the bridesmaid dresses are" LOL

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 20, 2013

Well, I started contacting people this morning, even though the notices were just due back on Saturday. It's driving me nuts not knowing our numbers!

I realized that by emailing one uncle and asking about my grown cousins (and their guests), I'll be taking care of 9 people. By emailing one aunt, I'll be taking care of 8 people. That's a big chunk of the 28 guests on my side who haven't replied!