Would love tips dealing with 3yr olds

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Myname, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Myname

Myname Comrade

Feb 23, 2006

Our class has grown by 4 kids since January. So we have 14 now and two 3yr olds started last week. (six 3yr olds, and two 4yr olds that are similar in behavior still as a 3) And in Jan we had a 3 and 4 year old start. So my question is this. Any ideas on how to get the 3 yr olds to not move around so much? The ones who were in my class before the class got bigger were sitting so nice now they are wound up at circle time. I am thinking well it will take a while to get all back to normal after introducing more kids to the class.

I was also thinking of splitting up the 3yr olds from the older kids and doing seperate circle wtih them. A shorter circle. And as their attention span gets better start putting them back in with the older kids.

I find it challenging to deal with 33 months up to first day of kindgergarten all in one class. The reason they are in one class is because it is an all day preschool/daycare.
    I think what I need to do is have them be 2 seperate classes in one group.
    What do you all think any ideas?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 23, 2006

I think your on the right track. I would split up the groups. When we start the yr in kindergarten we only have the students sit in circle time for 10 to 15 mins. By the end of the yr circle time has increased to about 25 mins. But that is for 5 and 6 yr olds.
    Another idea is splitting your circle times up through out the day. That way they are getting all the same stuff just in short chunks.

4. Myname

Myname Comrade

Feb 23, 2006

I had thought of that too. Our mornings are arrival from 6:30 till 9 or 9:30. they have choice time during that time and that gets long I think. I love interacting with the kids and doing stuff. I suppose we could have them doing a project during the arrival time but I like to talk about their project at circle and dismiss them to go do it.
    They eat lunch at 12 and we do have a morning snack I will make the morning snack earlier I think. I just need to rearrange the schedual now since I have more 3's.

5. Myname

Myname Comrade

Feb 23, 2006

Oh afternoons have a learning bit too and activity usually.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 23, 2006

Do you have a rest time?

7. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 23, 2006

I reccomend the book "yardsticks: children in the classroom" It talks about snacktimes and such.. although it doesnt have 3 year olds included. The 3 year olds have the attention span of their age! Getting them to sit still for a long time is not a good idea if you arent changing activities frequently. I think they should be allowed more playtime than the older ones too.

8. Myname

Myname Comrade

Feb 23, 2006

yes they have nap time.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 23, 2006

Do you have an aide in the room? I would split the students up. I think it would work best. Maybe for arrive have certain areas of the room open. I would let the older kids play with the younger students during this time. Then at 9:00am work with the three yr olds in a small group and introduce the centers. Do what ever you do doing this time. I wouldn't let it be longer then 5 to 10 mins. Then send them to their centers. Call the older group over. work with them. Send them to centers. Once the groups have been in centers, then go into snack time? It's hard not seeing your group. So these are just ideas.
    Have students help with clean up, then have a gross motor activity.
    Then maybe some more choice/dramatic play time. Go outside. Then it should be about time for lunch and nap. After nap quiet activities for a half hr while they wake up. Then do more circle times. And other afternoon activities.
    Just ideas.

10. Myname

Myname Comrade

Feb 24, 2006

That sounds like what I have done since I posted this. Thanks.

I do have an aide in the room. So this helps a great deal.

11. 4Lisa

4Lisa Rookie

Feb 25, 2006

I have the same age group and have found splitting up works wonders. We installed a curtain that goes across the room in the middle to divide if we are unable to go outside, or it just gets to rowdy. We usually split with one group going outside while the other stays in and then we switch. We are sure to always have a couple of the younger kids in the older group, so they can see what we do, and we are sure to rotate them around so all of the children have a turn. It is much more productive.

12. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Feb 26, 2006

When I had 3-5 year olds in one class, I had three different "learning groups" based on developmental and scholastic level, not only age, and it worked very well. ( I had some 4 year olds in the top group, some in the middle, and some in the top, while the 3's and 5's overlapped into the middle) I would take a group while my aide supervised the rest of the class in centers and groups. The only problem was that we needed another pair of hands.

13. Myname

Myname Comrade

Feb 26, 2006

You know I am thinking that as well another set of hands funny you mentioned that. I would love to have an extra set of hands when spliting up the group. There are 14 kids now. Soon to be 15.

14. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Feb 27, 2006

I also had a growing class, which was one of the reasons you need an extra pair of hands...new kids need help getting adjusted, and the rest of the class needs to adjust to them, no matter how well they were adjusted before! I started off the year with 8 students, when I left, we were up to 13, having been at 15 for a while. I never did get the third set of hands, but I did hear that my assistant is insisting on it now that it's her own class...