~Would love a little help...~ math related

Discussion in 'General Education' started by loves2teach, Oct 21, 2009.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2009

Hi,
    I am working on an assessment for our new standards. I have been working on it for a few hours and I am starting to run out of ideas... I was hoping that you all could help me develop some of my questions.

We are looking for word problems (if at all possible)...

The standard I am having the most trouble with is the student will "recognize equivalent representations for the same number". The unit is over number theory (specifically exponents). Our example problem from our state test sampler involves a decimal/fraction equivalent pair, so that isn't much help. I need to find 5 questions to go with this. I have a few, but I am not sure about them. Here is one that I found with our resources, but do you all think it goes:

The 7 members of the football fan club wanted to recruit some new members. Each member brought in 7 new members.

and then 4 examples. Does this sound like it covers the spi? I am not sure if it does or not.

The other one I am having a hard time developing questions for is "use exponential notation to represent repeated multiplication". I have to have 5 questions for this one as well.

Thank you for any help and/or advice with my last few questions. It is almost 11:30 (and I have been up since 5 this morning). Between this and my homework for my masters- I am :dizzy:

Thanks!!!

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2009

I also thought knowing the other subjects might help...

There are 5 questions over each of these topics (I am almost finished with these)
    -divisibility rules
    -prime factorization
    -finding GCF
    -Finding LCM

and then the two above...

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Oct 22, 2009

The last exponent word problem I gave my kids was this:

A hamburger costs $2. If the price of a hamburger doubles every two years, how much will a hamburger cost in 50 years. (They had to show their answer both as a power and as a dollar amount)

5. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Oct 22, 2009

For the repeated multiplication one you can get creative to see if they understand:

a^5 and they write out a x a x a x a x a (who cares what the number is).

You can do the allowance problem: "If you went home today and told your parents you only 2 pennies this week for allowance, they would probably fall over. Next week, you ask for 4. The third week you ask for 8. How much money will they be paying you in a year?" (2x2x2x....x2 or 2^52).

Those two might help....

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2009

Hi,
    It has to be a problem with a multiple choice answer as well :) Thanks for the ideas so far.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2009

Everyday Math (which I don't use in my district, but I tutor kids who use it and I generally hate it) has 'name collection' boxes. So there's a box with tally marks for the number 15, the word 'fifteen', several equations: 10 + 5, 7 + 8, 20 - 5...and the kids are directed to add 5 more representations of the number 15. See here:
    http://www.tahoma.wednet.edu/subsite/teachlearn/Parent_Guides/parentmathguide.htm

8. Mister

Mister Rookie

Oct 22, 2009

Five classes each had five students who correctly answered five math questions for a math contest. How many questions altogether were correctly answered by these students?

a. three to the power of five
    b. five to the power of three
    c. five to the power of five
    d. three to the fifth power

The student council posted a sign selling pencils for $0.5 each, but the students weren't buying them. Student council realized that the price on the sign was 1/2 of a dollar, and changed the sign to read $0.05. The new price is what fraction of a dollar.

a. five tenths
    b. five hundredths
    c. five thousandths
    d. none of the above.