Would like advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ZookeeperVA, Aug 21, 2009.

1. ZookeeperVA

ZookeeperVA Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

Has anyone here ever had to teach in a wheelchair? I am suffering from severe sciatica and I cannot walk or stand so it is looking like I will need to work from a wheelchair at least for awhile while I wait for my treatments to work.

I was just wondering if anyone has had to do this and if you had any tips or suggestions that might help me avoid pitfalls.

Thanks

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 21, 2009

No, I have not had to do this, but I hope that you will have a lot of support from your administration with this.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

You have my sincere sympathies. I had a freakish kind of hernia last August. By November, I was in a wheel chair from a combination of paralysis and severe sciatica pain. I had surgery in January and walked out of the hospital 7 hrs later. It was truly amazing.

I wasn't teaching, so I don't really have any advice for you. I hope your treatments work and that you won't have any permanent nerve damage.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2009

I don't have any advise other than make the students be as useful as you possibly can. In third grade I bet they will still be empathetic and helpful. Good luck.

6. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

I was in a wheelchair for a few weeks while teaching. The kids and staff were great. They helped with everything.
    I also know a woman who is permanently in a wheel chair who teaches elementary school. She is very open and honest with her kids about her disabilities and abilities. They love her for it. They really like helping her with carrying things, opening doors and running errands. She teaches them that she is normal and can do most of the same things. The novelty of her being different wears off and then they realize she is "just" a teacher too.

7. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 21, 2009

It looks like I will have to have surgery for my Plantar's Fasciatis. The doctor said I'd be able to go back to work after a week or so if I used a wheelchair for a few weeks. Our PTA purchased one last year and our nurse has already said I can use it if I need to, so it looks like I'll be in one too, but not for a month or so. No advice, but let me know how it works out because I'm a little worried about it.

8. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 22, 2009

I taught for several weeks in a wheelchair because of severe tendinitis of my foot. It actually went rather well. The kids were great and were very helpful. Classroom management went on as it always had and I just rolled instead of walked.

9. ZookeeperVA

ZookeeperVA Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice:) I am feeling better about doing this now and clearly it has been done by others with success. I hope that by the time the kids come to school (two weeks) I will not need a wheelchair, but I might so it is good to know that it will work.

Thanks and goopp,
    I will be sure to report back and let you know how it goes.

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 22, 2009

(hug) hope it all works out for you!

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 22, 2009

If I was in the classroom this year, I would have to as well. Just make sure you have plenty of space to get around your room.

I taught with a neck brace for about six weeks and couldn't bend down to the kids so they had to come to me for their conferences. They did well.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 22, 2009

A hint from someone who used to use a wheelchair... check out the bathroom situation now ! ! ! Your chair will probably not fit through the doorway if your school is older. (If you are able to get out and walk a few steps, it wont' be a problem, but if not, it is...)

Don't wait until the first time you "need to go" to realize you can't get in ! ! ! Hopefully you work in a modern school that has approrpriate facitlies -- I did not... and for the first 3 months I was at my school, I had to get in my car and drive to a nearby restaurant that had an accesssible restroom while I was waiting for the construction to be completed on the rennovation at my school.

13. ZookeeperVA

ZookeeperVA Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Fortunately I will be able to get out of the chair and walk a short distance with a cane so the bathroom will probably be okay, but thank you for the heads up.

Tomorrow is the first day of work so I guess I am about to find out what it is like to work in a wheelchair...thanks for all the advice:)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

Best wishes!!!