Would like activities/ideas for stories...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BarnyardCats, Jul 24, 2007.

1. BarnyardCats

BarnyardCats Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I was just wondering if anyone had any good, little activities to go along with The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush and Strega Nona both by Tomie de Paola. I have looked online and didn't find a whole lot (that I liked), and I don't want to buy a literature guide right now for what I have in mind. Any ideas appreciated! :)

3. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Hi! Check my blog ilearntechnology.com... book adventure may have some good ideas or Read write think...they won't be directly related to those books but they have really good activities that are great supplements to any book.

4. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

In my Expressive Arts class in undergrad, my teacher had us pantomime the story of Strega Nona to "classic" Italian music (like, the stereotypic music you'd expect to hear at Italian diners). This would basically be a silent retelling with props. It was an exciting activity.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2007

Your students could investigate the cultures from which these two stories came (or are about). Perhaps one day (if you can find one), you could bring in an Indian Paintbrush plant (or at least a picture of one), and another day, y'all could make "magic" pasta! I know that kids always remember lessons that have to do with food! Seriously though, I think the fact that these are both folk tales is a lesson in and of itself, because the only reason we know about these folk tales is the fact that, before books, someone in each generation took the time and effort to learn them, word by word, so that they could be passed on!