Would Jesus shop at Wal-mart?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by AngelHead, Dec 18, 2006.

1. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Dec 20, 2006

Thanks, Mrs. T. I was beginning to feel all alone and it's a bit depressing that so many people are oblivious to Walmart's evil practices. I don't have enough money to invest or give that much to charity but I can afford to pay a few extra cents for paper towels at Target or Kroger.

2. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Dec 20, 2006

I shop at Walmart in Canada quite often. The store in my area is very nice and the employees are generally friendly. Like others, I shop there because I can afford it and it's convenient to me. I had an ugly experience today though - I left a prescription last night and they were out, so I was to pick it up this afternoon. The checkout girl at the pharmacy said it wasn't ready,and I said "Can you tell me how long it will be? I dropped it off yesterday". And she told me to stop yelling at her! Wow! I guess she was having a bad day in the Christmas rush, but that made me want to stop shopping at WalMart more than any policy.

3. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Dec 20, 2006

I'd also like to add that the commercial about Jesus is not supposed to be whether or not he would like to hang out with the other customers or the employees at WalMart. The commercial is supposed to be about whether Jesus - loving humanitarian that he was - would support a company that does such atrocious things ALL THE TIME. I don't actually think Jesus would support our icky capitalist society at all. He probably wouldn't support a company that violates child labor laws, makes its employees work off-the-clock so they don't get overtime, and discriminates against women, African Americans and other minorities.

4. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Dec 20, 2006

I have never worked at Wal-Mart, but they do provide a lot of jobs for people. On the Union issue...I worked for a grocery store in HS that would only hire you if you signed their paper stating you would not join a union.

I don't personally care for Wal-Mart at all, but it's much closer than anything else. If I can avoid it, I will. I hate the long lines, horribly stocked shelves, and that they check ID on a signed credit card if your purchase is over $100 (that's for another thread!).

5. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Dec 20, 2006

wow! now this thread is really off track. I hoped this would be a debate about the ethics of Walmart's practices and whether or not you or I should shop there. Instead we've had rants about rednecks, talk about Jesus and his rowdy friends, debate over the proximity of the store to our houses, and now we're going to debate whether or not America is better than countries that execute you for mentioning the name Christ? Forget it...

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

No need to get so upset! Just a thought though, when you post something on here with such a provocative title, what did you expect?

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 20, 2006

There are some interesting points being made on this thread, but please remember to keep personal attacks out of the posts. Whether you agree or not with the ideas, no one has the right to name call.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

Oh shoot...I was just about to call myself the devil's advocate.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

In common parlance, devil's advocate has come to mean a person who takes a position for the sake of argument. This practice is generally an instruction technique, whereby one person more experienced teaches another who is more novice to argue properly, taking in mind a position the latter doesn't know well or at all. This way, the depth of perspective of the arguer-to-be increases.

See...it's not such a bad thing after all!

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

Christy, did I miss something? I didn't think I was personally attacking anyone with my post! And I certainly didn't name call!:eek:

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 20, 2006

I think there were other posts after yours that were removed.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

No, it's not your post Kinder! AngelHead thought I was calling her a name I think(but I wasn't.) I was just encouraging everyone to speak up and join in the thread because it's fun when we all open up...and not get mad.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

Oh, I see. Thanks Beth. I missed all that!

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 20, 2006

No, Kinder, I didn't see any posts from you that were questionable. There were posts removed. Grammy, I love a debate as much as anyone else, but what some consider fun, others consider insensitive and we want everyone to feel free to post their thoughts and opinions.
    I know you love a good argument. Why not start a thread just for that? :)

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

That's a great idea! I'll think about it.
    By the way, I got over my sensitivity the first time I set foot in Wal Mart!;)

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

o.K. girls...it's shower time for me, but I'll be back!!!!

17. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 20, 2006

A belief that can't stand up to debate isn't a genuine belief; it's nothing but an opinion at best, and a prejudice at worst.

Grammy, I'll be waiting. Devil's Advocate is one of my favorite things to be, too.

"Sensitivity" is sometimes just a euphemism for "Can dish it out but can't take it."

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

Very good, Mamacita! I never thought of it that way. In our house, debating is our entertainment. We don't "argue," we just debate and we learn a lot from it. If one of us isn't in the mood, we just listen to the other or others.

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

Angelhead, have you ever worked there yourself? I'm sorry to drag this over to this thread, but after reading this in the closed one I had to comment. I just need to say one thing...before you go and say things about how it is to work there, I would go and see for yourself by working there instead of making these blanket statements and claims. I am in no way saying that Walmart doesn't have it's flaws, but the claims that you made about the overtime, health insurance, hours, and other employee comments could not have been more wrong in my experiences. I made over $10 an hour in HIGH SCHOOL! I took a pay cut when I started teaching. I had wonderful health insurance within the first 2 months of working there (and I should mention there is usually a small waiting period in most, if not all jobs for insurance, and insurance now a days just isn't what it use to be in any job), and I could go on and on too. I don't know where you got these stats, but it does not fit the bill for every store. Please don't make such blanket statements unless you have first hand experience. :) That's how invalid opinions and assumptions get started.