Would Appreciate Some Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cantankerous, Sep 25, 2010.

1. cantankerous

cantankerous Rookie

Sep 25, 2010

I am 40+ years old and I need to find a job teaching...but it is not easy. Need some advice!
    See, I have 10 years experience teaching at a VERY small private school. It was not accredited and although I was teaching there, many other schools seem to not regard that as experience.

In addition, I have no references. I do not have problems with teaching, but I am pretty quiet and most people sort of...well, they don't much like me! So, I have no friends and no work type references.

No kids, not married...that looks "weird" to folks, too.

Is it possible to get a teaching job without references? My certification expired and I will have to get it renewed before I can teach here in TX (just moved here). But am not sure if it's even worth it if I have the same bad luck as I did in my former state/town.

Also, I have difficulty with the questions they ask on interviews...they seem so "deep". Like, can't I just TEACH? It's not that hard, but people won't give me a chance.

Should I forget it? Just cuz I have graduate coursework in early childhood education, doesn't mean I have to be a teacher I guess. I hear Wal Mart is hiring :lol:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2010

No kids and not married are not on your resume so that shouldn't look 'weird' to anyone.

How have you taught for 10 years and have no references?

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 25, 2010

I wouldn't be too worried about be single & childless... :)

Maybe you could ask your former coworkers to provide you references? Will the Principal from your former school give you one?

Also ~ I keep postive/thankful emails from parents in my portfolio and have used those as reference-type letters as well.

Best wishes. :)

5. cantankerous

cantankerous Rookie

Sep 26, 2010

Unfotunately, the principal from the former school passed away. The other coworkers at that school were a small group of very jealous women. They always acted like they resented the fact that I had a teaching certificate and they did not. Also, I always kept my classroom really well decorated and all the children busy. I bought a bunch of materials with my own money and designed all the work and curriculum myself. The principal liked me, the other teachers didn't.

That sounds bad, though. I can't tell anyone that and there's no one to verify what happened.

This school only had 35 children in it. There were 6 in my class.

When the former principal died, the first thing the new administrator did was fire me.

At that time I decided not to have anything to do with teaching anymore--I did not keep any papers! Now, 3 years later, I have moved to a different state and would like to teach in the public schools here, but can't get any references! Those teachers there will not give me any, and all the new administrator will do is say I did work there.

6. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

How long ago did you do your graduate coursework? Maybe a professor would write a letter for you? Is there a parent you feel comfortable asking? I think those 2 things along with confirmation from the new admin that you did have a job would be enough.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2010

I think it will be awfully hard to get a teaching job without references. Schools usually ask for 3 references.

8. cantankerous

cantankerous Rookie

Sep 26, 2010

I know. I graduated in 1997. There's got to be a way around this. Go back to school? Heck, I thought of volunteering in the schools. I need references for that, too!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2010

Good luck to you.

10. cantankerous

cantankerous Rookie

Sep 26, 2010

Shouldn't I have gotten all I needed to use in that area in college?

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 26, 2010

You're absolutely right. I find the best response to those deep questions is to simply reply "I got al that I need to use from my college courses"... every single time I've used that answer, I've gotten the job!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2010

I'm having trouble coming up with a serious response.

Yes, you should have learned how to answer "deep" questions in college. You should have received a broad education in a variety of different areas.

You should have been prepared to get through the interview because you should have had adequate experience working in and observing classrooms.

If not, then those 10 years in the classroom should certainly have given you the experience to answer the "deep" questions.

I want my kids being taught by people who can handle the "deep" questions. I don't care about their marital status or, as another current thread suggested, their racial or ethnic background. I want my kids taught by responsible, bright, caring adults. By adults who want the job enough to put in the time and effort to prep the answers to the hard questions. Or, better yet, who can come up with good answers to them because they're well qualified to do the job.

13. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

Just a heads up...you're probably not going to win many points with a statement like that.

I'm getting that you have a strong desire to teach and that you just want to get back to where you were, but (and I'm sure you know this) it's not just a position where you can just throw anybody in. You need to earn the spot by proving that you are qualified and capable.

Good luck to you.

14. cantankerous

cantankerous Rookie

Sep 27, 2010

I believe that I am qualified and capable. I had a 4.0 average in my graduate school coursework. I cannot prove it if no one will give me the opportunity to do so. The main thing that seems to be thwarting my progress is the behavior of the people where I taught school for 10 years.

I did not do anything wrong there. The principal at that time liked me, she thought I was very creative, organized and an excellent teacher. If she had not thought that, she wouldn't have kept me there for 10 years--she could have hired somebody else. But, she's passed away and the other teachers there were jealous of the fact that the principal did like me--

Look, that little school was/is basically a joke. I interiewed for a couple of jobs in that same town (public school teaching positions) and the reaction was generally, "OH! You worked...THERE?! I thought they closed that place up! Well...what other experience have you had? "

Heck, I have to have references for anything I apply for and I just do not have any! Nothing. Zip. Nada. It's pretty sad.

15. MrMarblesTI

MrMarblesTI Rookie

Sep 27, 2010

Would you consider taking a job as an ed. tech. for a year or two? That position doesn't pay so well (at least where I'm from) but it would certainly give you the opportuinity to build good relationships and get good references and show off your capability.

16. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

You'll have to take the focus away from what the school/center was like to what YOU DID while you were there.