Would anyone be interested in doing Flylady for Teachers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teach_each1, Jul 16, 2008.

1. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I love flylady for my home (my mom and I do a modified version for points)

I started doing the flylady for teachers last year but I work best when I'm doing it in a group. If you're interested I figure we could start with the control journal (I have a .pdf copy on my website under teachers) www.freewebs.com/nnowlin

Once school started we could share clutter control, storage tips and even week-night recipes.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2008

I've 'buzzed' by Fly Lady before- haven't tried any of it yet...I'm not a regimen kind of girl...What do you do with the home stuff?

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2008

I was part of the flylady teachers before and I didn't really get much out of it. Maybe I didn't know how to navigate the site, but I couldn't find any tips or anything.

5. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

clean....and then clean again!

I really like the focus on one room but keep the rest of the space tidy philosophy. I work best under time constraints (I'm very competitive-even against myself).

I also do biweekly (use to be monthly-might go back to that when school starts) menu plans.

I get a sense of satisfaction when I check things off-my boys even do baby fly chores!

6. tink30

tink30 Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

I've never heard of this before but after looking at the pdf it looks interesting. What exactly is flylady?

7. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I'd love to hear more about how this would work...

8. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

It's just an organizational tool to keep you organized! My mom did it years and years ago when it was the SHE system (that system used index cards that you moved each day...very helpful for the OCD is our family!)

You imagine your classroom or home as zones, each day you really clean, sort, organize one zone (bathrooms or math manipulative center/storage) and then do maintence on the rest. Because everything ends up being on a rotating schedule everything stays clean.

You could knock on my door right now and I'd be confident that my house is company ready (except for the boys' room-we work on that after nap!)

9. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

We'd start out with the control journal-working together to make master lists of...setting up the classroom, what goes in a sub folder,

click on the link in the first post-it takes you through the steps.

10. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jul 16, 2008

I'd be interested in doing this- sounds fun! I'd even be interested in some help with my house as well as my classroom!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2008

teacheach- do you have the home journal as well? I've only ever gotten as far as shine your sink!! (Although my house is not a mess I could be more organized!!)

12. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

when I started out I did the home journal. But now it's just become routine and I don't need the journal. I do a modified fly lady-I could never keep up with all the e-mails. I made up the weekly plan on a word page and just e-mail it to my mom.

We assign points for jobs and try to out-do each other. If I win (# of points at the end of the month) then she has to cook with me (I'm talking multi-course meal...complete with outrageous dessert. Last time we did a crowned roast pork). If she wins we get to work down in the basement for an hour trying to find daylight :D

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2008

I get their e-mails but just delete them :(. I'll be interested in joining with a group though. I'll join a home group too if one is started up.

14. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Their e-mails are too much for me. I'll pm Amanda and see if we can get it put in the groups section.

15. tink30

tink30 Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

I am interested. I could use some help staying organized this year at school and at home! :)

16. SnoopyTeacher

SnoopyTeacher Companion

Jul 16, 2008

Count me in!! This sounds like something that I need for both home and school!! I will be watching for more information! Thanks for getting this started!!

17. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Okay, I am kind of getting the idea of this, but what exactly is it?

18. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I read through the posts more carefully. Sounds good to me. Count me in! Just tell me how and when we start this.

19. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

I'd love to find a way to get organized! Count me in too!

20. Ems

Ems Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

Me too!! I love the idea of having zones in the classroom!! Although my issues at school all end up due to lack of filing.....hmmm, I need to look at the site smemore for some ideas!

21. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Jul 16, 2008

Count me in too! I am horrendously bad (redundant, I know) at getting and staying organized!

22. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I've pm'd Amanda to see if we can get space in the groups section but how about if we start on Friday. That will give everyone the weekend to gather supplies for our first task, the Control Journal...don't worry about it now I'll tell you what you need on Friday (hey-it will be a good use for those 1/2" binders if you have any laying around!)

23. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Jul 16, 2008

I would definitely like to join in on this. I could use some organizational control! :)

~kris~

24. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

great-I'm so glad you are all willing to join me on this. I can't wait to get started!

25. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

I'd like to know more about this-it sounds great! Is there a web site somewhere?

26. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Jul 16, 2008

Count me in! I need all the organizational help I can get!!!

27. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

I would be interested, this is an area I need to work on in both my school and home life!!!!

28. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I checked out the flylady website. I am getting excited about starting this!!!

29. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 17, 2008

Count me in!

30. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

the website is www.flylady.net that's the main "home care" website. You can do a search for the teacher version there or just pull it off my website www.freewebs.com/nnowlin -look under the teacher tab

31. JoCoTchr

JoCoTchr Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Count me in!

I tried fly lady in the middle of the school year and I really liked the ideas (yes, it is the OCD in me!) but with it being my first year I just could not find the time to keep up. So with that said, I would like to begin again this summer! So please let me join you. :p
    By the way, I checked out the teacher fly and LOVED it - oh, let me say it again LOVED it. It will definitely help me stay more organized this year!!!

32. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

Willing to try! Funny, I don't usually look at the Elementary thread because I teach high school, but I clicked it instead of General - then this caught my eye. I definitely need to be more organized, so I'll adapt. ;)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  33. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 17, 2008

I'll adapt, too! I'm excited!

34. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I've been doing flylady for several years and, although hard for me, deleting what I don't have time for is the best thing I've learned to do. Marla sings my song.... "You are not behind! I don't want you to try to catch up; I just want you to jump in where we are. O.K.?" They also have teacher Yahoo groups. I also LOVE her "Pay it forward" ideas, it always makes me feel better when I'm down.

But, I still love this site best for ideas and format tho... :love: Count me in.

35. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I found out about the FlyLady's stuff for teachers last month. I am so in and am ready to go! :D

36. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2008

Hmmmm. I need this kind of thing, but I don't know how well I would stay with it. Maybe I'll just see how all of you are progressing with it. I can set up "zones" of my classroom without joining and see how I do, also.

37. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

Okay-I started a thead on setting up your control journal and making a master to-do list to start the year. Hope to see you all there!

38. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 18, 2008

That's what so great about this forum, I'd never heard of FlyLady before.

I don't know if I can participate or not, sometimes I get invovled in too many things and end up being frurstrated because I didn't do them all well. I sure would like the opportunity to look at it a little more.

39. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 31, 2008

I am a late joiner, but count me in and I will try to catch up!

I have used Flylady at home somewhat for several years. It really helped me understand that THINGS can take up your valuable space, spirit, and energy.

2 principles I love and use regularly - 27 Fling Boogie - quickly grab 27 items that you can throw away - and the 15 min. timed work - set your timer and work on one thing for 15 min. then you are done! If you do this enough, over several weeks you will clear out a lot of clutter and then things are easier to keep tidy.

40. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

This sounds so exciting! I have just started with flylady at home. I have already started flinging things out in my classroom. I subscribe the flylady 4 teachers but the format is hard to read. I would love to be part of this group. Thank you for getting it off the ground.

41. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I'm not very techno savvy ... but is there a way we might put all the Flylady posts in a sub forum, or something like that? Or has that already been done? It would be helpful to all, I would think - especially those of us getting on board late who would like to catch up.

:)