Would a Literature minor be beneficial in CA?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by aut0101, Sep 11, 2020.

1. aut0101

aut0101 New Member

Sep 11, 2020

I'm not majoring in English, I'm majoring in sociology because in CA I know there is no specific major requirement to be an English teacher as long as you pass the CSET. Would keeping my literature minor be likely to help in the hiring process and make me appear more qualified for the job, or is it unlikely to make a difference?
    Here's where I'm at: I currently have a lit. minor added, but I'm considering dropping it because the classes are all very similar and not really what I find to be helpful in better preparing me for teaching 7-12 grade English. I'd rather take the English classes at my college that ARE helpful, but those would not give me credit for the minor. They would just be individual classes on my transcript and basically they'd be electives. I find these classes to be much more beneficial, but I wouldn't get credit for a minor or anything - would this be likely to hurt my hiring odds because I don't have an English major or minor? My logic is that I'm teaching 7-12 grade, so college level literature courses may not necessarily make me seem more qualified for the job. But I don't know if not being an English major (even though it's not required) already hurts my odds and so the minor maybe would help? Looking for advice!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2020

My undergrad degree was in Dramatic Arts, and I did an alternative pathway to my credential after passing the CSET. I think having courses like adolescent or British literature would be helpful to have on your resume.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 14, 2020

Even though it's not "required" I'm just confused as to why you'd want to teach English if you don't want to take enough classes to major in it? It just seems like you're making it harder for yourself.