Worth the move

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachLI123, Jun 18, 2012.

1. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Jun 18, 2012

I have been trying to get a teaching job for the past 8 years in a very competitive area. I've had leave replacements and teacher assistant positions but nothing that leads anywhere. I'm getting frustrated and have looked into moving. I am going to leave my current state and head to Florida next month to begin looking around. I have two interviews lined up and although excited I am beginning to have second thoughts about moving. Have any of you made the move for a teaching job and do you consider it the best or worst decision you've made. Thanks!

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2012

I moved about 1200 miles away for a teaching job and it was absolutely the right decision for me. My friends and family thought I was totally nuts, but teaching is a big part of who I am and I did everything in my power to make that happen. I think it is all about where your priorities lie. I have friends that are so attached to their families that they would be completely miserable moving away, so they choose to sub or work other jobs because living at home is their first priority. My hometown area is intensely competitive where it's not uncommon to see 5,000 applicants or more for a position. You're not allowed to call, e-mail, or drop by (or they will throw your application out) so there is no way to make yourself stand out. The chances that your application is even being read are slim to none. Of course I applied at home, but I knew even entering college that if I really wanted to teach, I would have to move. I did some subbing during my student teaching and HATED it with a passion. I would have been miserable had I had to do that for a year or more. I also never really understood how one gets updated letters of rec and things like that after subbing. I also am a very independent person and would have been upset had I had to live with my parents after graduation- and I'm sure they wouldn't have been that happy about it either! In a perfect world, yes I'd rather have a job closer to home but I feel incredibly fortunate that I have a job at all in this economy, and I'd 100 million times rather be teaching out here than subbing at home. The great thing about teaching too is that you have so many breaks- I visit home a lot, and could go even more if I really wanted to. I am home for about a week at thanksgiving, a week and a half for christmas, a week for spring break, and a week in the summer. My parents are coming out for a week this summer and my best friend from my hometown is coming out another week, so I see everyone a lot. If I really wanted to, I could also go home for longer in the summer or our mid-winter break in February- if you're really attached there are SO many opportunities to go back. I think in this economy the people that are getting the jobs are mostly the ones that are willing to relocate. My friends from my college program that were willing to move all have jobs- those that were not willing to move from our home state are still looking, three years later.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2012

I moved from the Upper Midwest to the desert Southwest for a teaching job. For me it was a good decision. I think that I've gotten a lot of good teaching experience here. I've also had a chance to work with a student population completely unlike anything I had ever experienced before--I'd say that my horizons have been sufficiently broadened.

From a more practical perspective, the fact that I was willing to move is what got me a job. There were no positions for my subject area in my hometown, home state, or neighboring states. The only way for me to teach what I wanted to teach would be for me to move somewhere else, so that's what I did. At this job, I make more money than I would have made in my home state after this many years of experience (even if it's not as much money as I think I deserve). I also have a sizable retirement account that is mine even if I decide to leave the district. I get a lot of paid sick time and a fair amount of paid personal time. I like my hours. All in all, I think that I have a pretty sweet gig, and it was possible for me only because I was willing to move.

It's tough being away from family but that would have happened no matter what. My hoosband's family is from the South and my parents moved back to the Pacific Northwest while I was in grad school. There's no place we could live that would be close to everyone, so we just decided to move to a place that would be good for us.

5. SB2103

SB2103 Rookie

Jun 18, 2012

I moved to a new state this past year so I could teach and honestly it has been such a great year. My work family has been amazing and I am so thankful I found a place that is so welcoming and I love to go to work. I am from NY as well, so I know how hard the job market is. If nothing is holding you there, and you want to teach - go ahead and make the move. I definitely think it is worth it.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2012

I moved in 2007 to North Carolina. I had never set foot inside the state until my first interview. I was offered a job on the spot at my third interview. I packed up my things and moved down. My biggest regret has always been subbing for a year instead of relocating. It was (still is) an extremely tough job market where I am from, and I had 1 interview in two hiring seasons.
    I am now in the process of trying to relocate back. I have been on a pay freeze here for over 4 years now and there is no end in sight. I have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet and I am tired of it. I will make about $6-8K more a year at STEP 0 than I do here!!! If they give me credit for my experience, I will be making $10-15K more than I am now. So far, I have had 1 screening interview, 1 phone interview, and another interview next Monday. So I have already done much better than I did back in 06 and 07!

7. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 18, 2012

I would love to move to a different state for a job. Im about and 1hr and a half from my parents as it is...I think anything farther would kill my mom, but she does say Im 30 years old, I can do what I want.

we live 1hr and a half away from each other and we rarely see each other as it is, so i don't see a difference. The one thing she did say was if I moved far away to where no one they knew was around, how would they know if something bad happened to me.

Im sure not everyone lives in their parents back yard...

My question about moving to a different state...how do you state that in your application letter that you're willing to move if you got the job? Say you're applying to an Arizona school, but you have an Illinois address...would you really get calls from Arizona?

Would they expect you to go to Arizona for an interview or do a phone interview? That's what concerns me.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2012

My mom is incredibly over protective. I had a brother that passed away, so I think she is more over protective than most. Plus, I was on the phone to her once when I was in a really bad car accident (I was rear-ended while waiting to make a left turn- NOT related to being on my phone in anyway) and that really scared her.
    So, I have to call her when I get home everyday. On the rare occasions that I don't go anywhere, she will normally text me.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2012

I just mentioned that I wanted to relocate. I got many phone calls from several different states. I wasn't certified in any other states, either. I was looking in about 5 states, so I didn't even start the process until I got a job.

As for interviews, I have done both phone interviews and I have made the trek out to an interview as well. Now we have Skype, so that is a bit more common. For my second trip to NC for interviews, I got one interview lined up. I then began emailing principals and I wound up with about 6 interviews lined up in 2 days. I think it shows you are more serious if you make the effort to be there.

10. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 18, 2012

cool,

Im certified in IL, working on being certified in Missouri...only because Im about 10 miles from St. Louis and the missouri border...I did my masters with the university of phoenix so I've taken all the AZ test and all that, I never did send in the information though to actually get the certification...cept my fingerprint card has expired...so we'll see

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 18, 2012

Just so you know... You will have to renew your fingerprint card before you can get your AZ certification. But that's a fairly simple process it just takes awhile to get the new card!

12. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 19, 2012

Not to be rude, but if after all this time you haven't nailed down a position, it's long past time to consider another field. Florida, by the way, is the WORST state in the country for teaching because teachers' rights are being decimated. I believe the new teachers are all on annual contracts. Avoid it like the plague. Ditto for Louisiana and Michigan. Actually almost ALL states these days.

Seriously, read the newspapers from different states about teacher layoffs, privatization efforts, and the war against education. This isn't a "fad" that will go away. Public education is being dismantled for ideological reasons, and while there is a movement afoot to counteract it, unfortunately, politicians from both political parties are hellbent on destroying it.

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2012

Tonysam, that is incredibly rude. You have no idea what long island is like....teachers that have been in the field for 16....yes 16 years, are being excessed. In addition the local teacher colleges are taking students money and turning out 600 plus elementary teachers per semester!

Many of my friends have moved and made it work...for me its not an option...I am involved in too many different things here...and I love the beach!

Good luck!

14. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012

Don't teach in Florida. My mom worked in schools in suburban NYC and then southwest FL. It's a world of a difference. Teachers have pretty much no rights down there.