Worst preschool job?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Lumi, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Jul 17, 2015

I know a lot of us have done a lot of job hopping.

So I was wondering if you would tell us about your worst preschool job?

I recently accepted a job at a preschool where I was encouraged that I could do my own thing and use my own stuff. I was excited about this because I have wanted to focus on what I feel needs to be taught at the pre-K level instead of all the assessing I had to do. Turns out that they had *no* supplies, (they only had glue, some construction paper, a bit of glitter some powdered tempera for paint - they thought liquid paint was too messy and when I asked for white paper I was handed a stack of newsprint). I asked about a budget and they told me that they would never provide me with money the buy the supplies I needed because if they gave me money they would have to give money to the rest of the teachers. :rolleyes: They told me that HWOT was their curriculum but then I was told to look on You Tube to learn how to use it and was never given supplies or any of the actual curriculum. That's all they used and I guess I was expected to fill in the rest. What do I use for science math and social studies? I was constantly expected to baby sit. I only had 6 kids but my room so it was a revolving door for different kids. We had to juggle classrooms and kids a lot and that meant me taking kids from other classes or going to other classes when they needed a warm body to fill in. One time I walked in in the morning to find another teacher in my room and her kids and a couple of mine playing with my stuff. I still have no idea why she was in my room with all these kids instead of her own which is where they usually were kept in the morning before I got there. The floater even brought her grand daughter in two days in a row for me to take care of her while she worked. I doubt she had permission to do that. There were all sorts of licensing infractions and the second week I worked there the director was fired.

Ultimately I decided just a few weeks after I started working there that I didn't want to be used as a babysitter and a warm body so I quit. I feel like it's the best decision I have made so far and I've enjoyed staying home with my daughter this summer.

Anyone else have any horror stories? I've worked in two excellent preschools so I guess this experience is fairly typical for the way daycares work.

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jul 17, 2015

I had been teaching in the early childhood field for almost 5 years. One of my first positions was in a daycare and I stayed about one month. I had no supplies except some scrapbook paper, no shelving for the toys, dirty carpets, a broken vacuum to clean, and no changing table! I was in the toddler room and we literally had to lay the kids on the bathroom floor, on a mat, to change them and the mat was not even sanitized after each use.

I also had to work with very "young" girls who were very unprofessional. This one time it was almost lunch so she set up all the food while I was changing kids in the bathroom, on the floor, and it was time for her break so she literally just walked out of the room and left. I was left with all of the children. It was awful. I'm not sure how they are still open.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 18, 2015

I have also worked two amazing, excellent preschool/daycares!
    But there was one that was awful! It was the worst because the management & some of the teachers acted like they really cared but it was all an act.
    The directors didn't care about the teachers and never stepped into the classrooms to even give us a bathroom break. We were constantly shifting children around, rarely following the ratios, and there was a revolving door of teachers. During the 11 months I worked there, we went through 33 teachers (2 of which were directors!) out of a total of 36 or so staff members. That's nearly 100% turnover.

The sad part is that this is one of the prestigious preschools in town. Tuition is insanely high ($1400/month for a full-time preschooler in 2013) and is known to be highly academic and every child goes off to kindergarten knowing how to read. The children and teachers wear uniforms, and there are cameras in every room.

It's great in the eyes of families (although many have started noticing & pulling their kids out) but awful for teachers.
    Unfortunately, they pay the most as far as daycares go in the area so any other daycare job you go to is a pay cut (which happened to me but it was worth it. The next job I had was the best)
    Many teachers work there while waiting to find a public school job, which also accounts for about half of the high turnover.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2015

One summer in college I took a job with school age children at a local daycare.
    I was put with the 5-6 year olds, but was always getting my kids bumped to other rooms while I floated.
    Each afternoon all the school age kids went on a field trip and I'd stay behind with whoever was too "bad" to be allowed to go.
    I had no supplies and had to bring everything myself- but was threatened when I quit and tried to take my things home.
    I got my "lunch" whenever they felt like giving it, sometimes 15 min into my morning, but wasn't allowed to stay on the property or eat at another time- so often went from 9:15 to five with no break or food.
    There weren't enough forks for all the students to use, so we were supposed to use getting a fork at lunch as a reward.
    The janitor was laid off, so I was told that each night I must clock out and then mop my floors and clean my bathroom. I was also required to have detailed lesson plans written - on my own time. This was a MINIMUM WAGE POSITIONS!
    After a month and a half of panic attacks I had such a bad one they had to call an ambulance, so I quit.

Now I have to send my new baby to daycare and this story goes through my head every day. Those parents had no clue how terrible it was...

6. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Jul 21, 2015

I once worked at a daycare, when I was in college, where my checks would bounce every week. I would always take the check to the center's bank, so I would not be responsible for bounced check fees, and as soon as I would walk in the door the tellers would shake their heads and say "No good" saying my paycheck was bad. I quit after 2 months and found another job at a daycare enter where my checks were always good.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 21, 2015

That sounds AWFUL. Everything about it is equally bad.
    Just wanted to reassure you there are good daycares out there, and since you've worked at a bad one, you should know what to look for & ask when touring centers for your baby!

8. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 21, 2015

Before I started teaching in the public schools I bounced around between a few daycares. One summer, I accepted a position as an assistant director at a church daycare. I interviewed and was hired on a Friday. The director told me that they were hiring someone to basically whip the staff into shape and help the center improve. I was excited for a challenge and she said I would start on monday. With no assistant director/administrative experience ever, I went in on monday and there was a note on the director's computer that said "I don't work on mondays. See you tomorrow!". All day I had staff coming to me with issues that I had no idea how to handle and staff calling off work that I didn't even know who they were or who to call to fill the spots. At lunch, I got a call that the company who catered their meals decided not to do it anymore, so there was no food for the children and the director wouldn't answer her phone to tell me what to do or how to pay for something. I was supposed to leave at 4:00 (I had been there since 6am), but all the staff was scheduled to leave at 4:00, so I had to combine the classrooms for infants-school age and sit there by myself with them all until 6:30. Needless to say.....I didn't go back the next day.

9. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 24, 2015

Wow. :eek:

10. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 24, 2015

That's Crazy! :eek:hmy: I think I would have charged my OWN "no good" fee to the daycare or turn them into to BBB. :dizzy:

11. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Jul 24, 2015

The owner eventually got into legal trouble for writing bad checks and the daycare closed suddenly without warning to parents.

12. Floria

Floria Rookie

Apr 23, 2016

legal trouble :/