Worst observation lesson EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by terptoteacher, Jan 13, 2009.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2009

So today I was observed. It was a math lesson out of the manual. I had originally scheduled the observation for a lesson before the break. I had a great lesson planned, but due to weather and a sick vp we had to postpone.

Two other teachers and I have ability grouped our kids for math. We found that we had some kids who had little or no number sense and others who were ready for double digit addition and subtraction. I have the struggling learners. Normally they are a rambunctious group, but controllable. There is generally a reason why these kids are struggling and for many it's because they have difficulties focusing or staying on task. Today, they were all OFF. One boy was coloring. One boy was talking the whole time. One girl was tapping out rhythms on her desk. This is abnormal behavior for 2 of the 3.

I'm not a control FREAK, but I do have great control over the class. I have one of the best managed classes in our wing, so their behavior today threw me! I have high expectations and they generally live up to them, but not today....:confused:

The kicker is, that as soon as the vp got up to leave they were great. They were participating and they were quiet when they were supposed to and talking when I asked them to think/pair/share.
    ARGH What a frickin rotten hour!!!!!!!!!! I'm still angry!:mad:

Has anyone ever asked for a re-do??:eek:

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jan 13, 2009

Wait and talk to your VP about it... let him/her know that this was odd behavior and that you were aware of it. Invite the VP to stop in and see some more lessons.

Most 'horrible' observations aren't as bad as you think! Just keep the lines of communication open.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 13, 2009

It's all in how your handled the misbehavior.

5. terptoteacher

Jan 13, 2009

Well, when one boy was almost on top of his seat, I went up to him, leaned down so no-one else heard and whispered to him that I wanted him to stop, that I was hopeful he knew how to behave and would soon show me.

Whenhe kept turning around to talk with another boy, I asked the other boy to move so that he could focus better with less distractioins.

When one boy was coloring, I walked near him and used proximity to stop the negative behavior.

When the students got too loud, I covered my ears and said, 'ouch, this noise is hurting my ears!"

I think I used good techniques to modify the behavior, but I wish I didn't have to do that. I would rather be pro active than reactive.

Since a few hours have passed, I feel better about what I did to address the behavior, but it flustered me so that I didn't do a great job TEACHING the lesson.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 14, 2009

Anytime I've had an observation I tell the kids the P is watching them and taking notes about them and about me, which isn't really a lie because if they misbehave P notes it.

I'd talk to the P about it and ask if you need to do it over. Did you get the lesson taught? Were all the other kids on task? Were the other kids learning? That's really what he was looking for.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 14, 2009

It sounds like you handled the off task students well so it doesn't sound to me like it was the worst observation ever. Frustrating? Definitely! But I think you'll get feedback that off task students were dealt with appropriately. I know how much it stinks to have that happen with an observation going on though, so hugs to you!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2009

:hugs: Hopefully the VP is aware of your classroom management. This is why I think there shouldn't be ONE formal observation. We can never tell when the students will have an off day.

9. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

It happens to everyone! Don't stress! Good admins. know these things happen! Have them come back, they should anyway!

10. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 14, 2009

I understand your concerns, but remember, most P's and VP's talk to your grade level chair and other members of your team about you before and after the observation, so I'm sure you have a reputation for having a well managed class and she understands that the kids were just having an off day.

I would bring up your concerns with her definately because that's the sort of thing VP's appreciate -- when teachers are able to be constructively critical of themselves.

As for the kids "showing out" when the VP came to observe, sometimes that happens even to the best of us. My students for instance used to be perfectly quiet and calm, then the second I had another teacher stop by the room to ask a question, suddenly they're loud, rowdy and out of their seats.

You may have to review proper ettiquette when there are classroom visitors with them.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2009

Not in my school. Admin can't talk to other teachers about us at all in any sort of evaluative capacity.

12. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 14, 2009

Not even off the record? I'm not sure if they are allowed to on-record in my school or not but I know for a fact that they definately talk to other teachers and listen what our coworkers say about us.

If this is discouraged at your school, count your blessings because at my school it's encouraged. We are also encouraged to be competitive with each other, which I really hate because I think everyone should be SUPPORTING each other, not trying to one up the teacher next door. :dizzy:

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2009

Wow. I would hate to work in that type of environment. Even off the record admin does not ask us about our co-workers.

14. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 14, 2009

Our school doesn't allow this either. We are encouraged to support one another. Yikes! I would hate to be in that type of competitive environment. How would that benefit the children?

15. kem

kem Companion

Jan 14, 2009

Ha, that sounds exactly like my observation on Friday...2:00 on a Friday afternoon, the first week back from break-NO WAY were those kids going to be angels : D I agree with other posters though-principals know that kids aren't perfect, they're looking for how you handle the situation.

16. terptoteacher

Jan 14, 2009

I emailled the vp and asked for a re-do. I told her that I was up all night thinking about it and that it really bothered me because I generally run a pretty tight ship.
    She told me that I could have one, but she reallly didn't think I needed one. She was just going to write that the children were antsy.

Ok, but here's the rub. I have been observed teaching good lessons and received a "satisfactory". There are three levels: un satisfactory, satisfactory and superior. If, on a good lesson, I only got a satisfactory--what would I get for that lesson that bombed???!!!? There's no way I want an unsatisfactory in my file. I only know a couple other teachers who have gotten that and I don't want to be lumped in with that.

17. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jan 14, 2009

If your ratings are anything like the ratings in my district, you have to be out-of-this-world to get the highest rating. Most teachers get satisfactory-- even GOOD veteran teachers.

Why don't you wait and see how the write-up is? You can make a decision after that.

18. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2009

Here's an example to make you smile at least... I was being observed for a reading lesson earlier this year and I had not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 students lose a tooth during my lesson. I swear! It really happened!!!!

19. terptoteacher

Jan 15, 2009

Had my do-over today. Principal and vp thought I was silly, but I really wanted a chance to have a better write up in my file.
    I started the lesson calling all the students over to the story corner. We talked about our behavior and what my expectations were.
    They were much better and the lesson went much better. The students were engaged--not perfect--but engaged. The talking out was a bit noisy, but they were blurting out answers as opposed to being totally off topic.

So hopefully my observation form won't have anything less than satisfactory. I got a few superiors last time, so I don't want to have an observation with none.