Worst Job Fair EVER!!!(might get long need to vent)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by txmomteacher2, May 28, 2009.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

May 28, 2009

Yesterday I attended the job fair for Houston ISD! I drove over 200 miles to get there, spent money I really didn't have and to top it all off I only talked to ONE vice principal.

A few weeks ago, ok really more than a month ago I was at a huge university job fair and HISD was in attendance. I talked to the recruiter who basically siad to me this was how to get a job in the HISD. Attend this "interview" day. All the schools come you could probably talk to 10 principals and most likely get hired on the spot. Well I am here to tell you that was such a load of crap!!!!!!!!!! First of all this "job fair" was held on a not so nice sound of town and the direction they gave well let's just say I talked to several other people who got lost getting there. So I finally get there. They have two sessions, one for secondary and one for elementary. I decide I am only going to go to the elementary even though I can teach MS. My reasoning was because the line was all ready out the door and down the street by the time I got there. So I sit in my truck for two hours. ( not a big deal) So finally 4:00 roles around and I go in. There are about 500 people. (could have been more not real good at math) Out of all the elementary schools in HISD less than 10 show up at this "interview" day and the real topper is most of the openings were for ESL/billingual. Several other schools were supposed to have been there with more openings. I feel like yesterday was a total loss. I only talked to one VP and was one of the last ones in the building so he could have cared less. He spent less than 5 minutes with me while others at the beginning got like 20 minutes. The recruiters were encouraging us to come back on June 12 for another "interview" day. hahahahahah like that will happen. I was so upset when I left I went out to my truck, called my husband and cried for 10 minutes. Only two things came out of this, I did meet someone from A to Z while we were waiting to talk to the VP and my brother in law took me out to dinner at Joe's Crab Shack and I drank to Beach Bums. Went home and went to bed.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 28, 2009

How frustrating! I hate job fairs!

I didn't realize you were willing to relocate.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 28, 2009

I'm sorry that the job fair was such a disappointment.

5. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

May 28, 2009

I went to a job fair last summer and it also was a huge disappointment. I showed up hours early and they had us in an indoor arena and the tables were set up on the floor. When they sounded the buzzer thousand or so hopefuls rushed the tables. Needless to say the 10 open positions for 100 schools and NO interview times were available. I would probably go again (I'm desperate) but would be better prepared for the realities.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 28, 2009

I'm sorry txmom. I know how you feel.

7. tb71

tb71 Cohort

May 28, 2009

From your info it says "Texas Hill Country" no way would I leave there to come here to the Houston area--let's just swap houses :).

If you really want to be in the area...check out Sheldon ISD. I don't know a whole lot about them other than at the last "Interview/resume" seminar I went to when we checked for job postings they had a lot! Good luck!

8. txmomteacher2

May 28, 2009

tb71
    I am not really wanting to leave the area,BUT I need to have a job for next year. Oldest is off to a VERY expenisve private college that she worked hard to get into. I have an interview with Hitchcock ISD next week, heard anything about them?

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 29, 2009

I so understand your frustrations. I went to one "job fair" last year and it was the same kind of thing. Hundreds of people and no actual hiring. They had over 700 applying for less than 100 positions.

10. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

May 29, 2009

Im near Hitchcock - what position is the interview for? I have been watching their website but dont see anything that I am looking for.

11. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

May 29, 2009

And I second what the above poster stated - stay out of Houston at all costs. I love 45 minutes south in a little town, but my plan is to relo to the Hill Country area in about 10 years.

12. duygu

duygu Rookie

May 29, 2009

I am so sorry. I am in the same boat.

13. tb71

tb71 Cohort

May 29, 2009

I've only driven through Hitchcock on the way to Galveston--it appears to be a nicer/safer area. Good luck!!!

14. txmomteacher2

May 29, 2009

WHat caught my eye first was the kindergarten position that they had. But the spec positions as well. Yesterday they put up a 3rd grade and took down the kinder. So who knows. When I asked they told me they had several and I was being considered for all of them. Is that a a good school dstrict to be in? Is it worth the time and effort to drive there. and unless you know someon up here in the hill country it will be very hard to get a job. Even though i worked for a district for two years and resigned for personal reasons I can't get back in. I would start now networking with people here. It might take you ten years to get a job here.

15. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

May 29, 2009

Well it's just a loose idea really, I just bought a house here but really dont want to live in this area long term. Nothing actually wrong with it - low crime rate, generally pretty nice area - just not my cup of tea.

Hitchcock is a small, very rural district which I would think would be great to work for. There is a lot of small districts around here, Hitchcock being one of them, that most people miss when job hunting. I would think it's a good sign that they called you.