Worst interview ever..(So I thought)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Cme10, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Cme10

Cme10 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013

I had an interview on Monday afternoon. But before we go too far, let me tell you a little about me.

I am 27 years old, I graduated in 2008, and have since been unable to find work. I received a dual degree in Elementary Education k-6 and Exceptional Education K-12 plus an endorsement for ESOL. I have tried for several years to become a substitute, or have any job in the school system. Last year I got a lucky break and became a paraprofessional at a high school. I worked mainly in the guidance office but I was also called upon EVERY day to substitute classes, more than one usually. ( I became a guidance office assistant and an in house substitute.) I killed myself for this job, hardly ever taking leave, always trying to improve (I never received anything less than good on my evaluations.) At the end of the year even though my evaluation stated I improved tremendously they still let me go. >:[ They waited until the transfer period was over to tell me (leaving me to hope that I might be able to transfer into a teaching position within the same county). Their reason for letting me go was that they were "taking the position into a new direction". Seeing as how I am quite educated and highly qualified I could not think of any direction they could take the position to that I couldn't follow. But I let it go, thanked the principal for the opportunity he had given me and finished out the year at the same pace I started at (Hard and fast getting the office caught up on 5+ years of back filing in student records).

Now I tried the whole summer to apply with other schools, trying my best to set up interviews and I had somewhere between five or six total from the hiring date until last week. Never received a call back or email from any school in that county. I was becoming discouraged to say the least. The next county over (About a ten to fifteen minute ride) became my next option. I know that I loved elementary school but in my time in high school I began to like those age levels and grades as well, so last year I took the Englush 6-12 Subject area exam, and passed.

This new county called me for interviews and were even nice enough to let me know why they hadn't called me for an interview or if I was not selected but I kept asking myself WHY wasn't I being hired?

I know right now especially in Florida many schools don't want to hire new teachers because their school grade and attached funding is counting on teachers who can come in and do a great job with the students but you could bring in enormously talented new teachers for even less money!

Finally I had an interview on Monday at a high school that is very diverse. Something I have not dealt with, and they have some discipline problems, along with being in a poverty area but you know what? Beggars cannot be choosers. I applied and went to the interview.

I felt I did horrible. There were only six questions and they asked me to keep my answers under two minutes. (This stressed me immensely. I like to talk and even at the sake of rambling I felt I couldn't give complete answers in less than two minutes.) The position was for language arts so there were questions such as:

What certifications do you have? Would you be willing to get the reading endorsement? How would you relate the common core standards in teaching language arts and in writing? Describe your classroom management style, exc. I felt like I floundered through the entire interview. I went home and cried.

The next morning they called me to offer me the job! How crazy does all of this sound? The interview I felt I did the worst on turned out to be my new job. Has anyone else had this happen?

(Oh and now that I have a full time teaching job, everyone else in both counties has been calling me for interviews and I have had to politely turn them down..>/)

3. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Oct 2, 2013

Isn't it funny how that happens? Congratulations! :)

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

Congratulations!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2013

YAY!! Congrats!!! What will you be teaching? And when do you start?

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2013

Congrats!! This has happened to me as well.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2013

Congratulations!

8. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Oct 3, 2013

Congrats! :)

9. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 3, 2013

I'm glad you got the job. I had an interview this summer which I felt I bombed the interview. I ended up getting the job. It was only a 0.5 but since I signed my contract before the start of the school year I ended up on a must hire list, and when the allocations cut my position I was still able to keep my employment, just at another school.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2013

congrats

11. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 4, 2013

These screening interviews are commonplace in urban or low-income districts. I got the sense they weren't even listening to what I was saying. They just wanted a warm body in the room.

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 5, 2013

Congratulations!

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 5, 2013

sorry, mistake post!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  14. Cme10

Cme10 Rookie

Oct 5, 2013

I will be teaching two language arts level classes 1+2 and a reading class. They are going to pay for me to receive my reading endorsement. (Which was a part of my continuing improvement plan any way so it works out. ^_^) I was fingerprinted today, which should clear by Monday. Then I have to drug test/tobacco screen and then I should start so next week or the week after. :) I'm excited but scared! Starting later in the year will definitely put me behind so I will have to hit the ground on my feet and keep running!

15. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Oct 9, 2013

Congrats!

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2013

Congrats!!!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2013

Just curious, because this is so different from anyting I've ever heard of: Why a tobacco screening?

I don't smoke, but it's legal for adults to smoke-- why screen for tobacco use?

18. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 11, 2013

The school district I work in requires district employees and family who smoke and are on the health insurance plan to sign and take a stop smoking class. I am not a smoker but I don't see how that can be legal (or the penatly under ACA). I say that having high LDL and triglicerides, on a statin, also overweight. (genetic and lifestyle, yet no forced nutrition and fitness class) Both have increased health risks too.

19. shadyleafytree

shadyleafytree Rookie

Nov 14, 2013

Congrats!

You give me hope since I have been going through the same situation as you have. I graduated in December 2008 and have been looking for full-time work since then; however, I have found several part-time jobs in adult education.

You give me hope! :)

20. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Nov 24, 2013

I was recently in the same situation. My interview lasted 15-17 minutes and I was offered the job the next day. I was only asked 6 questions and really thought I had not gotten the job. It turns out, I knocked their socks off and they didn't need any more information.