Worst Day You've Ever Had as a Sub?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Feb 4, 2006.

1. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Mar 19, 2007

I subbed between graduating and finding my first teaching job and let me tell you- I found it to be thankless and hard!

The worst day was my first day subbing. It was at a middle school for 5th and 6th graders in the gym class. The students didn't listen to a thing I said and I had a couple get IN MY FACE and yell at me. It was horrible. Oy!

2. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 23, 2007

Today was not my worst day of subbing. But, something happened that sure was scary today!

I had a third grade class today at a school "in the city." At 10:15 am, I took them to their gym special. About ten minutes later, there was an announcement that there was an immediate lock down. I went to close the door of my empty classroom and saw a police officer running down the hall. As I was closing/locking my classroom door and turning out the lights, I could hear doors slamming shut up and down the hallway.

I looked out the windows and could see several police cars out on the streets and police cars cruising through the school parking lot. There was another announcement over the intercom stating that the children should not be frightened - this was just a drill. I knew that was not true, because I continued to see police cars up and down the street outside the school and police officers talking to a group of people just down the street.

At the end of the day, a note was sent home about the incident. It stated that the lock down was a precaution due to a report to the police that gun fire had been heard in the neighborhood. Three police officers stayed in the building during the lock down while other officers checked the area. Also, the police were pleased that it took only 45 seconds for everyone in the building to be in place after the lock down was announced.

The kids told me that they had to leave the gym and go into the kitchen as their safe area!

3. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Mar 23, 2007

Back when I was a sub, I entered a third grade classroom one day and looked at the sub plans. Attached was a sticky note that told me I needed to check 2 students' backpacks for knives when they came into the classroom! And this was not an inner-city school.

Not my worst day of subbing but definitely the worst start of a subbing day!

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2007

My worst day was nothing like the few posts I've just read! The teacher was super organized. The plans were pretty detailed--except for the exact dismissal time. She wrote 3:00 pack up and go. The actual time for dismissing them was 3:15. I didn't know this so I let the kids go 15 minutes early!! I went out to see the bus kids in line and the principal asking them what they were doing out there so early all by themselves!
    She also had a box full and I mean FULL of little die cut figures--bears, trees, birds, shapes, school busses, hearts, etc. She had three sizes of each cut out. They were all organized according to size and shape. She had little dividers inbetween each different shape. I bumped into it and spilled the entire box all over the floor!!! I stayed in the room until close to 6 pm trying to get it all straightened out, but ended up giving up and leaving a really apologetic note. I never went back there, not because I wasn't called, but because I was too embarrassed.

5. RachelChandler

RachelChandler New Member

Apr 11, 2007

Best description of 8th graders!!

Munchkin, that description of 8th graders is soooo true and hilarious. I was cracking up when I read that. I love it when subs see the kids the same way I do. The middle school kids are just a bunch of sh*theads and I don't know why people ever want to become a permanent teacher in those grade levels. :p

6. username

username Rookie

Apr 24, 2007

believe it or not the worst day i've had has nothing to do with behavior(even though i've had some rough ones) but i had to sub for junior high mentally challenged class. and i thought it was so sad to see some kids that are 13- 15 who have 1st and 2nd grade reading levels, as far as their behavior goes, they act wild and crazy like the rest of the school. it really shocked me that they could get this far in school and some have trouble pronouncing 3 and 4 letter words it was heart breaking in a sense. its like they can curse from now til the sun comes up and their parents can buy them the latest air jordans and better cell phones than i have but they can't take them to the library to get a free card. the parents and teachers should be ashamed of themselves. i feel really bad for those kids but i like working with them.

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2007

Aw, that's sad.
    Sometimes I think that it's my own sensitivity that will do me in as a teacher more than the teaching-related challenges. I get so wrapped up in the kids' problems sometimes...