Worst Day You've Ever Had as a Sub?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

The website is a great reward! Not only are you rewarding them for good behavior but you are also showing them how exciting technology can be!

As far as the bookmarkers you can use the construction paper at the school and cut it up during recess or lunch. You can do themed markers, for example St. Patrick's Day, or let the kids go crazy....if you don't have any stamps then just let the kids use their markers, crayons, etc. to decorate them.

I hope that the funds issue starts to turn around for you. I am sending good thoughts your way NELNaples.

2. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2006

I taught about 6 years and then lost my mind and quit.
    So I started subbing. Went to this school on the bad side
    of town. Got my schedule (doing PE) and things were fine.
    I had a break so I walked across my PE field to the
    Middle school field and talked to this guy I knew teaching there.
    Walked back for my next class and the secretary looked as if
    she had seen a ghost. Said the teacher, whose class I was
    supposed to have that previous period was livid and wanted me
    never to sub again. The secretary had given me an old schedule that
    was wrong. I told her it would be OK and I would go talk
    to the lady. I walked in the room and she gave me this look
    like WHO ARE YOU.???? I told her how bad I felt because her kids
    had missed probably the best PE class of the year with the best
    PE coach they would ever have. I apologized profusely and showed
    her the incorrect schedule I was given. I think she was so surprised by my speech she couldnt muster outrage to fuss at me. The next year I went back to teaching PE and have the last 21 years.
    IT IS THE BEST JOB..................:cool:

3. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Feb 25, 2006

All you need is a 5 minute game like Heads up 7 up or a game of silent ball. I'm sure you can find rules online if you need them.

4. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Feb 25, 2006

Ha ha! That's great. Some teachers are so mean. They jump to evil conclusions way too fast. Sometimes I'm certain that they never had the joy of subbing or forgot about it if they did!

5. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

Feb 25, 2006

I'm poor too as my husband has been unemployed for eight months now. I'm trying to support my family with my two jobs as a sub and grocery-store cashier.

My class rewards always involve games that don't require equipment...

1. Math bingo - the students find some scrap paper and make a tic tac toe grid. They fill in the spaces with numbers that I tell them. I then call out math problems(one level easier than they are working on in class). They place a big X through each right answer til someone gets three in a row.

2.Eat the Pie - is just like hang-man, only you fill in pie pieces, on the chalkboard, instead of hanging a stick figure. The winner of each turn gets to do the next word. I have rules like; no guessing the whole word til half the letters are guessed correctly, and after half the pie is eaten a good clue must be given.

3. I play Mummy ball if there is something very soft and suitable for throwing already in the room.

Also, I use the school copy machine to make copies of fun crosswords, word searches, and coloring pages. I also have some brainteasers and riddles for older grades that I have collected off the internet.

Rewards don't have to cost money. :)

6. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 25, 2006

Those all sound like great ideas!

As a reward, I sometimes let them play 4-courners or Heads Up 7-up games inside the classroom. We also play "Hang-man" on the board together. I sometimes jump in and include my own phrase.
    I also have a colored-ink pad and students who are doing great, I stamp their hands with a cute happy face stamp or I give then each a paper that I've cut out in the shape of a bookmark and stamp away throughout the day. It doesn't really cost me anything to do this!

I also give table or group points and then award the winning team with something like a candy or stickers. (Always appropriate with age, the older students don't care much for stickers.)

When I have a couple extra dollars, I go to the local dollar store and purchase a bag of hard candy, inexpensive stickers, erasers, or novelty pencils.

7. allyd

allyd Rookie

Feb 25, 2006

It is tough subbing. EVERY room that I went into had a different plan for behaviors. Some worked and some didn't. When I got my first job I definately knew what I WOULDN'T do:). I was known throughout the schools that I subbed in for my Behavior Baseball. At the end of every day I would leave 15 minutes for a reward time. Three strikes was an out and three outs was 5 minutes off of the reward time. I also provided hits to the students for good behavior. If they lost time and received three hits, they could earn five minutes back. There were times when it was tough to get everything done on the agenda, but it was my responsibility to do that and I always made sure that something didn't get cut due to my fifteen minute behavior time. This plan is very easy to manage, doesn't require candy or stickers or physical rewards, and allows you to follow the teacher's behavior plan, if it is easy to adapt to, and can make your day so much better! It is difficult to punish with regular recess time if you are only there one day when recess is right after lunch. I was hired in the district that I subbed in.

8. toejo

toejo New Member

Feb 26, 2006

Well, here's mine...

I subbed at one school for a while & it seemed like everywhere I went there was this horrid, horrid 9th grader who was just as mean as he could be.

But my worst sub day was when the aforementioned future sociopath put a huge wad of gum in the (long) hair of a student he'd been picking on all period. I think this poor kid might have been special ed or something too because his reactions were always slow…but it was just awful. I’ll never forget that sweet kid with his big eyes staring up at me, fingers in his gummy locks, fighting back tears...

I never subbed again after that.

9. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

Feb 26, 2006

Did you know that gum comes right out of hair if you put some peanut butter on it? I know, it sounds messy, but it works like a miracle!

My daughter has very long curly hair. One day she decided to try Violet Buaregard's (from the movie/book Charlie and the chocolate factory) trick of putting her gum behind her ear. Well, my 8 yo thought Violet was sticking it in her hair behind her ear, and not just between the skin of the ear and the head. Anyway, I tried everything and it wouldn't come out. Then, as a last resort, I put in a bunch of peanut butter. The gum came right out! Peanut butter washes right out with shampoo. :)

Just a tip in case anyone else has to deal with bullies and gum in hair. :(

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 27, 2006

When I walk into the room for the first time & see that the teacher has all these different behavioral plans: Gives points for this & adds a marble in the jar for that & they pull cards for this & takes away recess minutes for that, I say to myself, these kids must really be something (& not in a good way)!!

11. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 27, 2006

Lol :d

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 28, 2006

And the thing is it only has to be 2 or so kids. You can't believe how many new things I've introduced this year because of 3 kids in my class. I hate to have to punish the rest of the class because of them. And once they get started, they'll drag several more in with them.

13. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

Allyd, I am not sure I got the reward on your plan. I might be just a little brain dead right now but I was confused. You place ball at the end of class? I throw like a girl - well, I am one but still.

Mrs. West - I love the peanut butter idea. I was in an elementary school and some kid did this to a little girl -who by the was deaf.

And by the way - if you ever use permanent marker on the whiteboard - hand sanitizer takes it right out. I think I mentioned that before but it is worth mentioning again. The kids showed me that trick.:)

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 28, 2006

Now that makes me want to try it out. ;)

15. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Feb 28, 2006

It takes longer but you can also scribble/trace over the perm. marker with a whiteboard marker. It takes it right off no residue!

16. kimlovesteachin

kimlovesteachin Rookie

Mar 3, 2006

Wow, you have all had some really bad days subbing! I have only subbed one half day and one full day so far. That full day I was in kindergarten went pretty bad. I didn't have enough time to look over the plans so I felt unprepared for the day. The kids were very chatty and I kept having to ask them to be quiet. It took a long time to get anything done. I could barely teach. The teacher from across the hall even came in and yelled at the kids. I felt so embarrassed. As the day went on, the kids were more out of control. Getting up and walking around the room, talking, yelling, playing with toys. After that day I told myself I was not cut out to be a sub. I am going to try to go back to that district and sub again but I'm nervous because they probably think I'm a bad sub. :(

17. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 3, 2006

Oh Kim!
    I know the feeling. When you first start subbing it is rough. Push through you can do it--eventually you will feel more confident! Unfortunately you will never have great days everyday--but you won't when you get your own classroom either. Go for it! Try it again.

18. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Mar 5, 2006

Rubbing alcohol does the same thing, and its cheaper!:p

19. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Mar 9, 2006

well kim, I can definitely empathize with your kindergarten day!!
    The past three days, I am beginning to think that the bad day substitute fairy has set his sights on my tail feathers and has given me some real doozies!!!
    Tues- Thursday: no lesson plans, no teacher edition texts,nosub folder, door was locked, janitor was incognito, and strangely I couldn't find the kids in the halls, cafeteria or gym in the "holding" until the classroom was opened 23 minutes after I got there. There no team member who even would talk to me about what they were doing much less the duties I was suppose to do.... which I found out about via the vice principal as she came screaming at me down the hall. I had 2 kids come in sick with stomach virus : fevers of 100.5 and 101.4 and throwing up and they had been there since their so called guardian dropped them off at the front door at 6:15 in the morning!!:eek: Sent those lil darlings off after they had breathed,touched and played with & all over everyone. (Yuck!) Then came the math lesson: she had already done all the so called lessons she had written down, because I asked to see their agendas and looked at the files that were crammed with all the stuff that was supposed to be done that day completed. So, I pulled out my handy dandy file folder and started pulling work sheets out that they could start on to get them in their seats and quiet so I could call roll and do all the other morning duties that were needed.
    Lang. Arts: Well, the writing prompts that I had didn't work, because these kids either left their brains at home, or never had any in the first place!!! (PLEASE understand, I truly believe Everyone can learn atleast something, but this group took the cake!!!) :eek:
    Third graders who claimed they didn't know how to put their names on their own papers, I mean come onnnnnn! I demonstrated that skill.... it didn't click. So, I pulled their portfolios and took a peek at some of their previous work. In most schools, even Kg would not be allowed to submit this kind of low level work/trash!!:eek:
    When story book, morning work on the board, calendar math lesson, lunch menu count or fun worksheets didn't work, I pulled out my trusty state history book and correlated literatuure and began to read it and ask questions, while writing them down on the Overhead and teaching them how to take notes and reiterate the questions in the answers of the comprehension questions. No go, it was like throwing gak against a wall... it'd splat, slide and then congeal into a pile in the floor.:confused: They couldn't even go outside to play on the playground, before another teacher came out and yelled at us to get inside and stop playing around. (we were doing a geology lesson with the few rocks we could gather up and put into my pockets so that those wouldn't be used as missiles or weapons!! I had hopes of doing the Mohrs hardness scale demo as a gotcha lesson.... didn't work.
    At the end of the day, I was sooo glad to leave that classroom, I did something I have never ever done in any school I have ever been in.... I left a note to never call me back again "due to me being overextended in other areas of teaching.I called the HR person who gave me the job and told her what went on, and she told me she'd place that school on my do- not- send- me- to- list and that I wasn't the only one who had complained about the unprofessionalism in that school."
    I tried everything I knew what to do, and some things I wish I hadn't had to resort to: bribing with food. NOthing and no one fazed these kids. They were horrible even to the principal!!

Thank my luck stars tomorrow is Friday! When I get home, I am going to soak my head and my feet in some Calgon and hot water!

20. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 9, 2006

Whoa! That sounds like an "adventure". I cannot believe you did not get lesson plans. I have never been without plans. I've gotten plans scribbled out, I've had plans the office manager or I had to take down from a phone call with the teacher. Even a teacher who was in a car accident had an emergency plans file ready for me, they were crummy--the worksheets didn't have all the reading material copied to answer the questions but at least there was something! I do not understand the unprofessionalism. If the principal hadn't been a bleep to you in the first place I would have made sure and complained about the teacher. You were a serious trooper!

21. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Mar 12, 2006

vs, Its gotta be the full moon!! its just gotta be !! No week could be this bad!?!
    I think I wanna cry....:( Friday was just as bad if not worse! This time the kids had brains, foul mouths to boot, and nasty mouthed rich oppinionated parent volunteers who stuck their unwanted heads in the classroom I was in, (and they didn't even have kids IN that classroom) .These parents proceed to vent their spleens (sorry but brains were not what was engaged at that time! :eek: I quickly and politely told them that I was needed in the front office immediately(two of them followed me!:eek:) Thank the great heavens I grabbed the assistant principal and pulled him into his office and asked for some guidance and got some. Apparently this teacher is a bit of a rogue and doesn't play by the first grade team rules or game plan....
    I walked out of there at 5:15 p.m., late for my second job-where I work in a woman's clothing boutique, 30 miles away from that school. Needless to say, my boss at the store wasn't too thrilled with me, but left me alone when I gave her the evil eye and told her to give me 1 hour of stock room, -cleaning toilets -whatever -quiet work and that she should take and ring up any and all sales, cause if she didn't the security guards would be coming to cart me away in cuffs. She just nodded and told me to go and unload 27 boxes of stock that had come in. Yikes! I got my wish, though. Blissful, totally quiet no little children's voices night. :) I was okay after about 2 hours.(he he he he ) Guess it was the full moon.

22. SubbingMama

SubbingMama Rookie

Mar 13, 2006

Kindergarten Bad Day

What is it about kindergarten subbing?! I have subbed for the same K class three times and each one has been an "experience". The first was HORRIBLE!!! No lesson plans until the teacher called a parent volunteer and asked her to check e-mail on the classroom computer and print them out for me. (WHAT?!) The secretary had no idea what was happening with the lesson plans when I went to ask about them. I got back to the classroom a minute before the teacher showed up. (She was dropping off her son and then leaving. ) She flew around the classroom to grab books and worksheets for me. I asked about the schedule for the day and she quickly jotted everything down. I asked what time do I pick up the K's from morning assembly and she looked at the clock and said, "Oh! Three minutes ago!" I ran out to find the K's and (thankfully!) an aide was bringing them to me and gave me the strangest look. I felt SO unprofessional. It was time for centers, and thankfully, an aide was in the room to help direct the students to go to the different centers. Again, no direct instructions, so I had to "wing it". The whole day proceeded like that...Vague lesson plans...bad students I wished I had had a warning about...Not knowing where to pick up the K's after lunch recess...a sick kid with a fever...a classroom aide admonishing the students for their bad behavior...I learned to expect more from K's after the aide told them that they weren't treating me the way they treat they regular teacher. The next time I subbed, I was more firm, and the day was MUCH better. (Except for the repeat of no lesson plans, teacher running in ten minutes before class began to lay stuff out for me.) Best day - 4th grade. Teacher wrote out about 10 pages of lesson plans, including page numbers in the textbooks, all textbooks stacked on her desk in the order of the day's schedule. Worksheets were in the stack, along with construction paper needed for a project. I didn't have to hunt for ANYTHING! All teachers should be this helpful for their subs! She even told me which students might need extra help, and told me about a student who had several behavorial/mental issues. I needed to know this so that I didn't discipline him too harshly for (not using an excuse) being the "way he is". (He was abandoned as a baby, half starved before being adopted...very sad.) Subbing definitely has its highs and lows! I try to learn from each sub experience so that the next assignment will be easier.:)

23. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Mar 13, 2006

subbing momma, that's too bad that there wasn't better planning or scheduling on the teacher's part. :eek: I have a question though, What are the "duties of the aide if not to pitch hit for the teacher by being the runner and smootherer of the day.... SHE should of had a copy of the lesson plan, after all she's part of the teaching TEAM that is suppose to guide that classroom. Am I off kilter, or am I in the ball park with the job description? Hopefully she isn't like my old aide when I was a special ed teacher. All he did was sit at my desk and mess up the lunch count and attendace daily!!! Seriously my worst student could perform that man's job being asleep better than that man did!! :eek
    I am glad you handled with cool and finesse. Better luck next time for us all, huh.;)

24. SubbingMama

SubbingMama Rookie

Mar 14, 2006

Aides

You would think that aides would be more helpful! Especially as she knew that I was new and did not know what was happening! (Maybe aides need sub training like teachers do...):confused:

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 15, 2006

I don't understand what it is w/ these teachers not having lesson plans for the sub. There's no excuse for it. When I become a permanent teacher, having plans will be on my list of things to do at the beginning of the school year right up there w/ other necessary things to do.

First, I'd put together a substitute binder or folder of things that can be done no matter what month it is in th school year. You know just beneficial things that kids should learn and do. Then, I'd also try to have things that I'm currently doing w/ the kids at the moment. So let's say something very unplanned happened to me, such as a car accident & I didn't have a chance to put together plans that the kids are currently doing, well, I'll always have those other plans I put together at the beginning of the school year. So there's really no excuse no matter what the reason is for the teacher being out.

26. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Mar 15, 2006

Well said, behsci. I'm a classroom teacher, but I remember my subbing days and keep them in mind when I'll have a sub.

One thing I do from day one is talk to my kids about the possibility of having a guest teacher...I tell them this teacher is a guest in our classroom and it's their job to be make him/her feel welcomed and appreciated, just like they'd make a guest in their home feel.

I explain that the guest teacher will know the schedule and our routine, but may not do things exactly the way I would. I encourage them to enjoy the change of pace and tell them for journal the day of my return they can write about their day with a guest teacher.

When I return, the students and I do an interactive writing thank-you note to the guest teacher and give it to him/her ASAP. If necessary, I also have students who write apology notes for behavior infractions (not every little thing, but anyone who was particularly noncompliant or rude).
    I have a guest teacher folder with pertinent information for any of our guest teachers; all the teachers in my building are required to have a sub folder in the office so no one has to hunt for the folder.

I keep a copy of my schedule, seating chart, office phone numbers, office passes, name tags for the children (done on the computer on 2"x4" labels, the names of reliable children to run an errand, discipline plan (we use a slip system), and the location of my lesson plans and manuals.

If I have a planned absence, I leave detailed plans on my desk. If I'm ill, I e-mail notes to another teacher who prints them and gives them to the guest teacher.

In case of an unplanned absence, I have 3 "Guest Teacher" tubs. The tubs contain books, a video, math sheets, and other activities based on a theme...my themes are spiders, transportation, and the ocean. Everything is xeroxed and ready to go.

With that said, a big thank you to all of you who substitute teach. It's comforting to know that I'm leaving "my kids" in capable hands :).

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in his/her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image.

27. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Mar 18, 2006

Thank you Auburn Teach from the bottom of all of the hearts of substitues from all over! :D It is aways a joy to come in a classroom of a teacher who has walked a mile in our shoes and remembers what it feels like to be the outsider! It does make a huge difference on your perspective doesn't it!? I would of never thought of the little details When I taught in my own classroom. That was before I subbed . What a difference.
    I had a wonderful experience last week where a next door teacher came over and she remembered me from the previous year. She was a tremendous help! Extremely friendly, introduced me to other teachers, went out of her way to introduce me to the principal, and even told me about an opening that had happened that afternoon and told the principal that she would vouch for me! :) Now how's that for going way beyond the call of duty!
    I would love to work with her and any others like her even though its a 30 mile trip one way from my house. That's the kind of support that makes the yuckiest school's physical appearance easy to look over,
    All those details you include AT, that is a sub's dream come true!! Thank you and keep up the good work!
    p.s. if you ever want to come teach in SC, I'll be your sub!!! any time.
    Munchkin

28. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Apr 12, 2006

GROWL!! What is it about middle school teachers who refuse to make out seating charts or provide correct classlists!?!?
    It's bad enough if there isn't lesson plans, but if ya don't even have a class roster/seating chart AND you're working with those Enormously ingrateful. Generally brain-dead, Hateful,Toadfaced, Horsefeathered Students, (eighth grade students, sorry I got carried away with the acrosstics of the word :) ] then they should atleast have that in place. Especially if it is mandated by the administration at that school!!!
    I go to the office and ask, "could you please print off a roster for each period for so and so's class. There isn't a class list available."
    They look aat me like I am insane or too stupid to have looked in the folder, desk file cabinet, or searched for an attendance or grade book of some kind.;)
    I repeat, I despise eighth grade students for the most part! It is very rare that I have a decent class when I work with this age group. I think they sense something about my ambivilence....:D

29. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Apr 16, 2006

I have to agree with you munchkin. I am in a long-term sub job for 8th grade. While most of the kids are well-behaved, the few that are not are annoyiing enough to ruin the whole experience. They talk through everything and when I ask them nicely to hush and pay attention or raise my voice, they still come back with a nasty attitude. I really can't believe how rude some of them can be and out right defiant. I have to punish them when they do this, but I know of teachers that these 8th graders made cry and kick things! I keep my cool (or pretend to be calm) but really I feel infuriated.

30. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Apr 17, 2006

Ever wonder what would happen if these kids were video taped showing their proverbial tails off, and their PARENTS saw it???:D
    You know, their are times when you can video tape a lesson.... heh,heh,heh....:D It truly is their age that is causing such shennanigans. :eek: I once had a monsignor who was a principal in a Catholic school 1-12 that said, "Munchkin, all children from the moment that the ugly head of puberty shows up, should be locked up with only a concrete bench and bread and water to eat until they turn back into the wonderful beings that the good Lord created!!!:eek: Somewhere around the age of reason... which for boys is around.... I am not sure about girls, even tho I was one. I never in my wildest dreams would of ever ever thought of doing anything as vindictive and mean as the kids today.:rolleyes:

31. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Apr 18, 2006

Yeah, that's what I told them today. One kid today asked me "How come teachers can't put a kid in the corner anymore with the dunce cap on? I actually wonder if that ever worked. I told them when I was their age we had to stand in the corner with our noses against the wall and ONCE I even got paddled -just once.

32. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 18, 2006

Ok, I'm not even reading the whole thread before I post my experience! I've been subbing for more than a month now in a pre-k classroom. There are 3 teachers (one of them is more of an assistant, and leaves early, another is only there in the afternoon). I'm subbing for the one who leaves early. Halfway through this job-I'd say around three weeks in, I get a message that the afternoon teacher finally had her baby, so she won't be in. That wasn't the worst though...three days before spring break, the school secretary calls me at 8:00 in the morning as I'm leaving and tells me the other teacher's father died, and she won't be in again until after spring break...and their not sure if and when they'll have a sub! Nothing terrible really happened, it was just the thought that something might! I did make it through the day okay.

33. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Apr 18, 2006

That is the cause of most of my stress during the day while subbing the 8th graders that are are infamous for being "challenging) to put it evers so nicely.
    Things can be going so well, but it's knowing that any minute I will have a problem on my hands. I should just send them to the office like the principal tells me too. But I try to handle it on my own. I have to always be one step ahead of these guys and it is SOO exhausting. The bad part about it is that that most of the boys (some bigger than I am and often in trouble makers in other classes) are so wonderful for me.It's mostly the girls that give me all the stress.

34. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Apr 18, 2006

Have you ever noticed that young teenage girls are the most vicious creatures on earth?? Including piranahs in a pool of bloody meat?:D

35. aussie sub

aussie sub New Member

Apr 19, 2006

Hi everyone,

I've been a casual teacher for 2 years. And I've had plenty of bad days. Mostly I work with infants kids, but today i was given a year 5 class, and I came home crying. Reading all your posts definatley made me feel better!!

The kids basically just had no manners - kept talking over me, refusing to do their work, had fights with one other. Usually I'm a 'nice teacher' but i just got so frustrated, I turned so tough. Which is what you are suppose to be i guess to survive, but the kids i had resented me for it. The only way i could quieten them down was to give them a dictation to write out for some of their lunch break.

At recess duty, from a distance, I overheard one of the kids talking (they didnt know I could hear) and they were saying "there's that subsitute" and another kid called out "not a substitute, a prostitute!!!"

And yes, I had fun and different activities for them to do at the start of the day. Every other class I've had enjoyed the activites, well this class couldn't care less.

You really feel like just giving up - or just saying "no primary kids please!!!" But some primary kids can be great. Its just those horrible classes that spoil it. And the most frustrating thing was that they had another casual teacher the day BEFORE who said that 'apart from a few probelms, they were generally ok'. What did i do wrong?!!!

Thanks for letting me vent - I didnt think it was appropriate to let the school know that i was ready to drop to the floor and throw the towel in. (But the teacher next door is certainly letting know the full time teacher how her class has been, not that the kids would care)

36. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2006

I started subbing just this year after retiring from the corporate world. For the most part I really enjoy teaching. I don't tolerate those who are disrespectful and/or rude. At the first outburst the kid gets a warning..... if there is a second outburst they are on their way to the "office." I don't feel guilty at all. They can choose to be good or bad. The "bad" ones are booted from my class.

37. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Apr 20, 2006

Yes, I am fed up with it too. I have been in this long-term sub for 3 weeks and while most of them are great kids, some take advantage of me, so today I sent 4 kids in all to the office. I notice that once 1 kid is sent to the office, everyone is good the rest of the period.

38. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 21, 2006

Hi I am not NMK (but a friend who hasn't signed in yet) but i had a very traumatic FIRST subbing job recently. 3rd grade. all-girls private school.
    All my plans had depended on actually having the students in the classroom... as soon as they realized they were getting a sub, about a third of the class vanished before you could say "hall pass."
    They wanted to know my name. So I told them. And someone else asked. and so on. so i wrote it on the whiteboard. as i raised my hand to write, one of the (few remaining) kids tickled me in a very sensitive place...
    The principal was out for the day. Apparently the class behaves when she's prowling the halls...
    The teacher hadn't left a class list, seating chart, schedule, or anything. the kids decided to switch seats and names...starting with the twins. see if i care- do i really need to learn their names if i'm only there for three hours? it seemed like a lot longer. anyway, not everyone agreed to the switch, and one kid got really violent when the "class queen" wouldn't give her back her seat...
    I had gone to this school not so many years ago. some of the veteran teachers kept poking their heads into the classroom to say things like, "YOU're the teacher here?" "Oh my you got so big!" "Do you need some help, dear?" which of course helped my image a lot...
    One (maybe more, but definitely this one) girl had major psychological problems that no one warned me about. They only told me later as a consolation... like, "You didn't do so badly. The regular teacher calls her psychologist every day"
    I did manage to get most of the kids in the classroom most of the time. But every so often a kid from a different grade, or a teacher, or someone would come to tell me "did you know that three of your students are crying in the bathroom?" or something enlightening like that. But what could I do -- leave twelve other rambunctious, undisciplined little kids alone so I could run after the escapees?!
    When my shift was over (they have a different teacher after lunch) and I was counting down the seconds, the next teacher didn't even show up until I gave up waiting and went looking for her. Noshing her gourmet salad in the lounge, right. While I was collapsing under five of her students. When I got home, I fell into bed and couldn't even muster up the energy to drag myself to college. If this is what it looks like from the other side of the desk, maybe I don't want to be a teacher after all.
    by the way, i think they all like me now. I see them around the neighborhood sometimes and i've been back to sub in that school a couple of times since and they seem ok...from a distance.

39. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 21, 2006

Oops, sorry my friend typed so long, but...

40. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 21, 2006

nmk - You and your friend are both up at 3:52 am??