Worst Day You've Ever Had as a Sub?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 4, 2006

What's the worse experience you've ever had being a sub, whether it was your mistake or just the circumstances?

Once long ago, when I first began subbing, I was subbing a kinder class. The babysitter of one of the students gave me some medicine that the child was supposed to take. Well, somehow I lost it throughout the course of the day. I should have sent the babysitter straight to the office to give it to the nurse to handle, but I didn't. I ended up having to tell the principal who was on the verge of having to call all the students' parents to let them know about missing medication that their kids could have gotten ahold of. But I ended up finding it in a place that the kids couldn't have even known about, but not before the principal knew about it! Darn! On top of that, the regular teacher said that I left the room messy, which wasn't true. I'm a neat freak. I think they just wanted to add fuel to the fire!

3. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Feb 4, 2006

I guess my worst subbing experience happened at one school. I subbed there twice, and both times the teacher was there that day (they had a special reading group that met once a month).

Anyhoo...The first one was a Kindergarten room. In this room, there was kid that called me names and told me to f**K off. :( Not good to hear from a 5 y/o.

The second was from the same school in second grade. I had a pretty good day, but was let down when I talked with the teacher in the afternoon. I usually leave my business card, but this time I didn't. She just seemed like she was let down with the whole room. She was picking stuff up and everything. I didn't think the room was a mess. :)

4. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Feb 5, 2006

I subbed briefly before getting my permanent position and I have to say that I pray for subs! :) You are all angels.

I had a 2 day assignment at a rough school in kindergarten. The kids were absolutely terrible. One in particular was threatening bodily harm to the other kids, cussing me out, cussing out the other kids, and in general a danger and disruption to the class. I had him removed 6 times during the day. I thought it was me and then I went to pick them up from PE to find him being restrained for his behavior there. He instigated problems with the other kids too. I would correct someone and he'd yell across the room at them "She's not your f***ing mama, she can't do s*** to you!" It was a nightmare. I cried all the way through lunch, thank god, not in front of the kids. And well, I did not go back the 2nd day.

5. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

Feb 10, 2006

AZKinderTchr, Wow! I think I'd quit if any of my sub experiences had been THAT bad.

One day when I was subbing right after graduating college in '92, I subbed for a horrible 6th grade class. They threw pop cans at me when I asked them to quiet down and get to work. I sent the offenders to the office. Instead of going to the office, they exited the building (to walk home I guess). The office staff helped me get the kids back into the building. I don't remember for sure, but they probably swore at me too. That was the last time I subbed at that horrible school (my choice). It wasn't too long after that that I took a ten year break from subbing to get married and become a stay-at-home-mom (thank God for hubby's income). :)

6. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Feb 21, 2006

Today was the worst, yup, today! OMG, I should have known when I walked in and the teacher's desk area was stacked high with papers, books, notes everywhere! It looked like a bomb had gone off!

Wait...it gets worse. No schedule at all. When do the kids change classes for specials? Go to lunch? Recess? Music? etc. etc. No clue, not posted anywhere in the room, had to track down another teacher to ask when we switch, etc. How embarrassing! No lesson plans anywhere in sight. The poor kids were picking up on my anxiety of not knowing what to do and what next, with me searching through piles of papers looking for the plans/schedule.

Then, we were left 3 worksheets to do for the whole day! I know, I should have been prepared with my own work; but, I was told that the teacher had everything prepared and everything would be in order. What a joke.

I will NEVER sub for her again and I sincerely hope that when I have my own classroom, I will never treat a sub the way I was treated today! Yes, today was my worst day....

7. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 21, 2006

When I subbed last year for a month a student was starting to become aggressive with the students in the class. He came from a divorce home and spent time with his father two weekends out of a month. Anyways, the mom told me that he (his father) had a domestic violence issue with her and that was the reason she left him. So, on a particular day I proceeded to give him some discipline or negative reinforcement for kicking a boy and punching another in the face, he made him bleed. Keep in mind this is 1st grade. Anyways, the teacher that was about to become the "permanent" teacher came in and started to give him little gifts to try to correct the misbehavior, but it backfired on me. As a result, I was seen as the bad guy, because I was giving him discipline and negative reinforcers for his misconduct.

When I told him to do something he didn't and became out of control in the classroom. He started to scream and punch me and proceeded to kick me in the shins. The principal walked in and by that time he was already sitting like a perfect little angel. I told her what he had done and reprimanded him. Of course, it didn't solve anything, because he came back angry. I waited to talk to his mom and she was no help. I was glad I only had 2-more days to go before the class went on vacation.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 22, 2006

And these people call themselves teachers & some of them treat subs like they have no clue?! What a joke. I don't know how many of these teachers can get by w/ their extreme disorganization & pure messiness!

There's this one teacher I've subbed for quite a bit. She's always left plans & the kids are not too bad, but she is a total messcat. There's no part of the room that's neat. There's a whole bunch of stuffed animals flung & piled up in one corner of the room & she even has her fuzzy, nasty bedroom slippers in a drawer of her desk. Then I see half drunken bottles of soda left from a week ago on the desk & a half eaten bag of pork rinds in another desk drawer!

I personally am a very tidy & organized person. I couldn't teach in that room day in & day out. I'd do a total rehaul.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 22, 2006

Wow! (& not in a good way :( ) Only in 1st grade & behaving that way. He'll be a troublemaker probably forever, unless someone does some really deep impacting reinforcement on him. I know it's not good to just send a kid to the principal's office, but w/ a kid like that endangering the safety of the other kids as well as the teacher, I'd have him sitting far away from me if that had been the beginning of the month, better yet, I probably wouldn't have stayed on for the whole month w/ a student like that in the class. But at least you said that it started getting bad when you only had a couple days or so left, so that's good.

10. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 22, 2006

I didn't send the kid to the office right away. I actually called the office and asked for one the principal's to come to the classroom. The kid had basically gone nuts.

I had taken away a rubber ball he was playing with, mind you this is the ball the "permanent" teacher had given him. He was playing with it during a math lesson and I asked him a couple of times to put it away. When he didn't it rolled to me and I placed it in my pocket. He, of course, became angry. He asked for it back, I told him that I'd give it to him at the end of the day. This is when he went berzerk. He started screaming at me, he made two fists and started swinging them at me, the started to kick my chins, and as I backed away he followed me with his hands made into fists swinging away. I grabbed his wrists for about 5-seconds and put them at his sides. I told him to calm down and to sit down. I also told him that was his behavior was innapropriate. He sunk to his knees and sat on his bottom yelling, screaming, and crying. At the same time he started to take everything out of his desk and started to throw it everywhere. This is when I called the office for help. I really thought he was going to come back and hit me.

I understand his situation I feel bad for him. He was put into some psychological counseling along with his mother. I've gone back to sub for the same class and he was great all day. He has a personal behavior contract in which it monitors morning, mid-morning, recess, lunch, afternoon, and before going home time. Every step that he completes with good behavior wins him a sticker or happy face on his chart. His mother has to sign the chart when he takes it to her. It becomes part of his homework everyday.

11. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 22, 2006

In this kind of situation, I would've followed the same plans that you usually follow with other teachers. You should've looked for a lesson book, teachers always have these out. If you didn't know what to do when you came in, the first thing to do is to give the students a task.

A simple task such as reading books, reading with a partner, or center time works. Also, studying spelling words or checking spelling ability with partners does too. In the morning the routine is usually Open Court, which takes most of the day. I would've asked the students what story they were reading, tried to have find it in the teacher's lesson plan book and estimated about what day they would be working on. This would've taken up all morning.

After recess, you should've done a read aloud or two. This takes up some time especially if you ask a lot of questions. Then, a writing task, such as "This Weekend I..." have them write about 30-minutes. I would've done one of the worksheets she left until lunch time. After lunch it's usually math time, you then could've asked the students where they left off or looked in their books to see what page they could possibly be on. Then, 15-minutes of SSR(Silent Sustained Reading). I would've also looked for those TIME science magazines, where you can read to them and they can read to you out loud. They also get to work on the activities in the back. For the rest of the day you should've finished the rest of the worksheets and then had them clean up. Cleaning up takes up 20-25 minutes of time which not only makes you look good when the teacher walks in but, it also helps take some time away. Finally, had them pack up, read another read aloud and explain homework. Voila! send them home when the bell rings.

I never take work of my own, I pretend that I do, but I mostly wing it with work I find that teachers left me or I try to fill in the day with educational tasks. Make sure to leave a note for the teacher at the end of the day explaining what you did.

12. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Feb 22, 2006

Well yes, I did do all of these things. I did not just let the kids sit all day. I realized quickly which student knew the most as far as what/when they do things and utilized their input. I did look for a lesson plan book, but seriously, it couldn't be found in the MESS of the room if there was one. I did the best I could with what I had to work with, but a SCHEDULE of the day makes a huge difference in getting everyone where they need to be on time and keeping the routine for small children.

13. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 22, 2006

The secretary should've given you one in the Substitute Folder or you could've simply picked up the phone to ask them when recess and lunch was. Or, you could've sent 2-students with a note asking the secretary in the office.

14. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

Sub nightmares

Well, funny I read this today.

I have (or should I say had) been subbing at this school since Monday for the same class. I have been subbing for three months all over the county. I have subbed in K classes with No Lesson Plans!

I had this 2nd grade class this week. The teacher told me she had a lot of ADHD students and a 10 year old in the class. I still didn't think much of it (I guess duh is in order now), I have subbed classes there and they are all wonderful. One teacher said she wished I had been able to sub the other two days she was out.

Yesterday, the 10 year old's afternoon high school student didn't show up. I picked them up from lunch, they had a 3. Which is very bad. So, I asked the students what the teacher normally did - she had them put their heads down for 10 minutes and then write 30 times, "I will be good in recess." Now, the thing about this school is that their is no formal dicipline procedure. This particular teacher moves their cards, once is a warning, twice is time out, third call parents. In the first 5 minutes of class the 10 year old was getting ready to beat up on one of the kids. I sent him to the office, I had to use a Minor Infraction form b/c I couldn't find the teachers Major ones. I told the girl accompanying him to tell them what happened. They sent him right back.

Later, the principal said that it wouldn't happen again but she was unhappy with the teacher for telling me their were ADHD students in there. Honestly, I didn't go in thinking this would be a tough week. I liked the school. I was looking forward to it. The principal also said she would come in Tuesday morning and so would this other woman. Nope.

So, back to the story. I picked them up, heads down etc... But they were really wild. So I said, I think we need to write 20 sentences that they will be good in class. So, a few throw a fit. Starting shouting and stomping around. I said OK, make it 30. Well, through out the hour, this keeps going on. I didn't yell. I explained that this was their choice. If they kept choosing to misbehave I'd have to give them more. No meanwhile they are supposed to be writing. Well, the number gets to 150. Can you imagine that hour? They were just out of control. I picked them up from Specials later and the teacher was yelling at them in line.

So, anyway, the parents weren't happy with this and they asked me to leave. Of course, now I am all worried this will get out and that people think I am a bad sub.

At the time, no teachers had said bring any probs over here. There weren't even rewards for the good kids. I made everyone write because often it is the other class members that help with the problem students. What is funny is that the Principal asked today who has been being good? The kid who told me to get the **** away when I walked up to the teachers desk, raised his hand. I asked the kids after she left who thought not everyone was honest when the principal was there - the good kids all raised their hands.

15. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 23, 2006

*Wow* what a horrible class! I had a class like this once. I had about 5 children with ADHD and they were all running in class and stabbing each other with pencils. The next door teacher could hear them telling me to *uck off and calling me a *itch and then running around. I couldn't control them. They were in 1st and ran all over the classroom. All the kids laughed when they called me names and when they didn't listen to me. It was such a horrible day. I mean, I tried my best, but the next door teacher looked at me with a dirty look everytime I saw her in the halls. I guess she had never been a sub herself. I don't know, but I think teachers and principals need to have more consideration for Substitutes and realize that it's not always our fault.

16. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

And the lesson plans were shotty at best. No instructions where to pick them up, duties after school, etc... And now of course, the opinion is probably that it is me. I have been subbing almost everyday since December. I have learned a lot. But I can only be as good as the teacher and the school I think.

Sorry about your Sub experience. I had two girls (after writing sentences) hand me drawings that said they loved me.

17. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 23, 2006

I'm sure those two girls made your day.

18. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

Yes, they did. Always do. I always here my name yelled out when I am (was) there. Hi Ms.... It is so nice.

I save all the stuff the kids give me. I make them write their name and class on the back. My favorite is drawings of me because they catch such details, my a line skirt, glasses, necklace. Makes me laugh.

19. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

Clarification

I guess I am asking is what would you all have done? I still think I did the best I could with what I had but maybe I am wrong.

20. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 23, 2006

I think you did the best you could've done. It sounds to me like the Principal would take the word of the children even if they were lying. The parents went berzerk over nothing. Don't worry, you did good.

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 23, 2006

So, if I'm reading this right, you had the entire class write the 150 sentences. I can see why parents may be mad, but this was the consequences the classroom teacher already had in place.
    The teacher should have left you detailed lesson plans, and behavioral plans. I guess some teachers don't realize that what they write down on their plans may not be clear to someone else reading it. That's why I leave very detailed notes for my subs. I appreciated it when I was subbing, and had those days with no plans at all. As long as a sub reads my plans then they should be fine with my class all day long.
    If a teacher doesn't leave you behavioral plans and consequences, ask a teacher next door (or near) what they would suggest. They have some really good ideas for you.

22. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

I do but I was told that everyone did their own thing. She left me what she did but I can't call parents. I also had the kids write sentences over an hour - when they wouldn't be quiet. That is enough time. Some students refused to do anything. I did tell some of the better students they didn't have to finish but I don't think they were all listening. Even though they were looking at me. It is about 3 pages, back and front. But simple sentences not the ones that others do so that they can't do the IIIIII down the page. I had actually talked to other teachers for today. They hadn't been like this the previous days.

23. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

And keep in mind, it started with 30 sentences. Not even my idea. I never do that but that is what the kids said the teacher did. Also, I didn't yell. I didn't get mad. But, they were just out of control. Literally, kids that the previous day we fabulous were just OOC.

After talking to the other teachers this week I had reservations about subbing there again. Even though the previous classes were great, they were very organized and planned out. The other teachers expressed their frustration with the current administration and the lack of support.

I also try to stick to the lesson plans as much as possible but these were sort of all over - they were hers not a subs. For instance, I have to teach shapes. But I don't know where any of the manipulatives are. I once taught a 3rd grade class and we had to do an experiment - I was running around at lunch looking for the equipment.

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 23, 2006

See, that's why the teacher should have everything layed out for you. I always lay out everything the sub will need for the day (and extra stuff just in case) on my reading table. Everything should be timed out to suggested times. I know things happen and don't expect everything to be done. As long as they followed the lesson plans the best that they could, then I'm okay with what doesn't get done. I also leave options, like "If you don't feel comfortable teaching this then..." Teachers who don't do subbing before hand really need a course on how to prepare for a sub. It makes things less stressfull on both parties.

25. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

It really wasn't about that though. I have gotten oddly good at this job. I am proactive, like to stop the problems before they start. And I can keep them reading silently. But when I picked them up and brought them back they were just crazy. I don't know how to explain it. I told my mom I swore their macaroni cheese was laced with something. It was like a room full of tiny Jim Carreys.

26. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

Okay...so today wasn't as bad as other's experiences....maybe this is more of a vent ;)...

I went to a local magnet school (visual and performing arts) today and was totally psyched about it because I wanted to see how the whole school worked.

So I get to the office and check-in. The office was totally confused as to where I was supposed to be. They sent me to the wrong grade and then called me out of that class to go to another one. The admin. staff then told me that they didn't know if I was going to be in that second class all day.

So I finally get to the second classroom, 15 minutes after the start time. The kids were chatting up a storm, playing with rulers and pencils, walking around.....this was social hour! The teacher was there and didn't say a word to them. The kids were so loud that I couldn't hear what the teacher was telling me about the day. I was totally blown away that the kids were allowed to behave like this. So in my head I was thinking should I leave now :D....lol!

The teacher leaves and I quickly get their attention. I introduce myself and get right down to business. The kids just kept chatting, chatting, chatting,....I sat back down on a chair and said "I care so much about your learning that I can sit and wait until you are all ready to learn." That got them to quite down for about 5 minutes. Every time they got loud I simply stopped talking and took a seat....I refuse to talk over students or yell at them. I take the silent stare approach instead....

After recess I wrote on the board in big RED letters "You now owe me 15 minutes of your lunch time. If you work silently, raise your hand to ask questions, talk in a whisper if necessary, and stay on task you can earn back your time. This is YOUR choice not mine." I hate going with the negative approach, but today it worked! Productive working until lunch....I loved it!

After lunch SOME chatting, but not too bad. UNTIL....ta da! The teacher walked back in....then social hour began once again. It was so awkward, I didn't know if I should reprimand them OR if she was fine with running her classroom this way. I just monitored the behavior and made sure no physical fighting occurred. When 2:30 rolled around I cleaned up quickly, made sure all paperwork was in its place, wrote a quick note, and then B O L T E D out the door.

I'm very glad the day was over and NO I will never return to this teacher's classroom, but would love to give the school another try BUT in a different classroom.

Oh the joys of substitute teaching!

27. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

I understand. I subbed in a class like this. The teacher strolls in like, pay no attention to me. Let's think about this your parents walk in when you are with your nanny - parents trump the nanny - doesn't matter what they do. I can't believe teachers don't get that.

28. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 23, 2006

Keep in mind that we can't chance a whole class in one day. It's very frustrating if you try to do this. Your teaching method can be completely different from the regular teacher. If children has been conditioned to act a certain way in class then it can become extremely difficult for a Sub to come and and try to change the student's system. Which, of course, is a system that they have been accustomed to. Just note that you are not there to change the Permanent teacher's behavior management system or expectations of the children. Then again, if it worked for you then it was good, but for future reference know that you are there to basically jump in and continue with their usual routine.

29. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 23, 2006

Yes, I've come across disrespectful teachers who have treated me like a child. They've reprimanded me or have no regard to my feelings. I blame it on the fact that I look young maybe they think they have a right to do this since, it's mostly the elderly veteran teachers who have done this to me.

30. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

The teacher that kept coming into my room was young. But she sort of made it sound like it was my problem her kids weren't well behaved. She didn't even leave me any lesson plans.

31. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

I totally understand that I am not there to change the whole behavior system in a day. But, I believe that it is my responsibility that the children are learning and being actively engaged with the content while I am there.

I am not really sure what the "usual" routine was in this class which is why I had to come up with a way to manage the class on the spot. In order for this day to be productive I had to implement something that would work for this 1 day while I was there.

Tomorrow they can go back to their old "behavior" routine ;)

32. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 23, 2006

Exactly. I don't know why teachers can't sit down and say, here is what goes on, here are the kids that get taken out for ESOL whatever. The best plans I ever saw were for Kindergarten - they were standard but she just added the page number or whatever the lesson was. But I love the detail and the fact the kids new the deal. Everything was always the same format for them - throw them off a little and it really does make the kids.

I think teachers need to realize, that even the best of subs aren't them. I just try to keep things running and teach if I can. I am getting my masters in elem ed and this has been such a valuable experience.

33. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Feb 23, 2006

NELNaples, I know exactly where you're coming from!! it does appear that you've had a few (in no way is this meant to be trite, or sarcastic!) experiences that the so called professional doesn't "remember" to have thorough plans, seating charts, schedules etc.. It bites, doesn't it!?! :sorry:
    I guess most of the school's I've worked in try to get their teachers to have emergency folders in the office with all of that info available in addition to having all pertinent info available. If its not, then the nurse's office is a big help for things like who needs to go & get their necessary meds for certian students. As far as the "extras" like ESOL , resource ask the students, leave a note at the end of the day suggesting "... It would help me as your sub to be a better professional if you could tell me....." Often school districts require them to leave this info for you, they just forget.:eek:
    Yes. lately it appears to be alot of teachers out there that don't get it that we substitute teachers, are not going to be able to be exactly like them,teach like them and either read their minds, cause that's where their plans are truthfully, nor do they have a incling that their lil darlings won't be acting or behaving as they normally would on a regular day with her/him. :eek:
    It causes my eyelids to start twitching :rolleyes: when I recall how many times I have gone to a classroom that was a pigstye and/or had nolesson plans or what was there was in their own personal stenography... with NO clue as to how to decipher it.
    Or worse yet when you do try to talk to another teacher in the same grade, they have no clue what you're talking about and tell you to just follow whatever she has there... after you've already explained there isn't anything there to work with, or what's there isn't enough or the right stuff according to the lesson plan written in the book.:eek:
    I have taken to looking them directly in the eye and tell them, "well, then I guess all we can expect of this day is for me to keep the walls intact and the ceiling/roof to still be on the building. :eek:
    Now that line is enough to cause any real teacher's blood to run cold!:p
    I try to leave a seating chart that I made of the class, along with detailed notes on what was done/not done. I have copies of forms that can be used for/ by substitutes that are a godsend. You can find them in most new teacher handbooks, or probably here.... in the research area. If ya leave a blank, you can say you found this in another classroomand it was very helpful perhaps they might like a copy too.;)

34. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Feb 23, 2006

How about this...
    Teacher says she gives about 2 warnings before their name goes on the board. If they get two checks behind their name they lose recess and have to go to another teacher to fill out a "solutions" form (what was done wrong and what should be done next). Did I mention these are 5th graders? She also said that she only gave check marks for disrespectful things not for things like blurting out (not disrespectful?). She lets them earn off the checks if they are good. So it's okay to goof around as long as you start acting good right before you really get into trouble. I told them all from the start I would not do this (give them a heads up to be fair) and they didn't seem that upset. Maybe because even their first grade teachers didn't let them earn off bad behavior!

*Broken writing utensils thrown at me,
    *Students walking on chairs and desks
    *Shouting and arguing, thumping the floor (the teacher next door popped in--so embarassing)
    *boy refusing to leave the classroom for punishment
    *girl forged teacher's signature after she'd filled out her form--teacher called to say she hadn't even arrived
    *group work where only 1-2 students does any work, while the others wander around and cause trouble

Yeah that was my...afternoon (only a half day assignment!)

Okay it sounds like I have no management but I am a really good teacher. I'm talking about kids who do all of this at the same time and punishing one does nothing to the others' behavior. In fact it's seen as an opportunity to get into trouble while the teacher is busy. I hadn't even wanted to take the assignment. Last year I subbed in 4th grade (every bit as bad). The principal put the blame on the teacher saying she put too much emphasis on relationships with the kids (and didn't discipline). I would hate to work for him!!! Talking bad about his staff to a sub! :eek: :wow:

35. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Feb 23, 2006

amen to that last one, violaswamp! :D It's the wolf instinct, going in for the kill, man:eek

36. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

I can't believe that teachers aren't required to take a class about substituting. What to leave for them, the realities, how to make sure you leave plans a sub can follow and that allows your students to stay on track.

I have actually been so upset by what happened this week. I am not sure what else I could have done. I went to people for help and they didn't help. I didn't loose my cool, kept them on task prior to that afternoon, and this was with such disrepectful kids. I think a Principal needs to support their teachers. Not blindly of course. But if they complain and the principal just puts them in a new class, what message does that send to the teachers? Venting. Lo siento:)

37. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

The other day I was in a 2nd grade for the morning only. Even though I couldn't promise them my usual reward of a game at the end of the day (because there wasn't time), I managed to keep them quietly on task.

Their teacher popped in every now and then and disturbed what I had set up. Each time she did this I managed to get them back to work either after she left or while she was still in the room. When she finally came back to stay, she stood in the doorway engrossed in an adult conversation. The students all started lining up for their turn to talk with her and started loudly talking with each other in the process.

She did not indicate whether she would handle this possible turn to chaos or not. So, I spoke up and reminded them that I was still in charge and that she hadn't taken over yet, but that she was busy and was not to be interrrupted. Luckily, she didn't seem to mind what I did. Knowing what to do when the teacher is there, but not taking control, can be very difficult. :(

38. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

I am impressed. You are right that is a toughie. What are your usual rewards? I am so poor. When I say poor, I mean I have a priority feed dog and cat - then me.

39. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 24, 2006

I carried a plastic box filled with pencils and erasers and stickers with me when I subbed.

For individuals: if I saw someone doing a great job I would lay a sticker on their desk or hand it to them.

For whole class: first thing I did was draw 5 lines at the top of the board. I then told the class for every time I think the class is working hard (quietly too) or being straight and quiet in the hall I would give them a star. If all 5 stars were full by the end of the day then the whole class would get to choose something from my treat box. But they had to be careful. They could lose those stars if the class as a whole was misbehaving. Out of all the classes I subbed for, only one did not get into the treat box.

40. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

Miss W:
    Great idea (w/the stars)...I love it!

I usually do something similar with the word SURPRISE. I give them a letter every time they are all on task working hard. Of course the letters can also be erased if warranted. Sometimes to give more motivation I write the letter using dots to show them that they are just about ready to earn the letter. If at the end of the day they have the word spelled out they get the surprise.

The surprise is something small a pencil, animal cracker, goldfish, bookmarker. The other day I cut up pieces of card stock into bookmarker size and then at the end of the day the kids got to use my special stamps to decorate the bookmarker. They really liked that surprise!

41. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

Those are great ideas. I have really just been so poor lately (I don't even pay rent where I live). The sub jobs started before the holidays (the school district took forever) and every paycheck till today has been for only a week because of the break. Also, since I quit my job to do the sub training and then the subbing, things are just so depleted. I couldn't buy anything. We were also trained in our sub training that we shouldn't have to buy those things. Normally, I just show kids my website at the end of the day if they have been good. It is mainly pictures of my dog, cat, and hurricane pictures. One is of the house that we had to have destroyed. The boys LOVE that one!