Worsening PMS as you get older? (Sorry for the t.m.i)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 16, 2013

As a teenager and in my early 20s, I barely PMS'd. At worse I might feel a little cranky a couple days before or sensitive and my chest would be only a little sore. I didn't have much cramping. I took birth control for a few years but stopped 2 years ago b/c I didn't like the side effects.

Now I'm pushing 30 and have found my PMS and cycle is bothering me more and more. For instance:

1. I am super sensitive the day before (ie: I got all choked up and my voice started cracking and my throat tightening up while reading my class "the giving tree" even though I've read it many times before. I tried to tell my Mom, fiance and best friend about it since I never cry @ school so it was significant to me, but each time i'd start talking about the book, i'd burst into tears)

2. My, uh, "#2s" get very loose

3. My chest feels sore and bruised on the inside. Slight movements really hurt and they throb and ache all day. I honestly feel like I was punched there

4. My PMS starts about 1.5 weeks before my period. So I have tenderness, crankiness, stomach cramps, etc

5. My energy is sapped. I get tired easily and just feel worn out

6. I had a couple fits of rage (not full out Hulk, but on Thursday EVERYTHING was making me angry. I yelled @ a student for something really small that normally wouldn't bug me)

Has anyone experienced this? Did getting back on birth control help?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 16, 2013

I had my first period at 9, and I didn't have any PMS issues until I was in my late 30's. I started being moody, having breakouts, and having severe cramps. The pain was so bad from cramps that I would vomit and couldn't function.

I can't take BC because it makes my blood pressure too high. I took it for about a year when I was in my late 20's.

I have a prescription for pain medication for the cramps. The doctor suggested an ablation, but I haven't done it yet. Other then that, I just deal with it. Of course, I'm also peri-menopausal. I can go months between periods. I can handle the awful effects a few times a year. I'd think differently if it happened every month.

4. glen

glen Companion

Mar 16, 2013

Try cutting out sugar- you'll probably see a huge difference in your symptoms.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2013

My PMS and actual period have improved with age. As a teenager, my PMS was pure rage and depression. My cramps were so bad, my mom thought I was having a miscarriage the first time I had them (oh, was that an awkward evening on the bathroom floor, crying and promising my mom there was zero chance of it). My periods lasted 10 days.

The pill helped enormously, but like you, the side effects were not worth it. I'm off of it, and I still get a much milder form of PMS and cramping.

I would talk to your doctor and see about trying a different birth control.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 17, 2013

I'm 34. My PMS is slightly worse as far as emotions go, but my chest soreness isn't any worse. I also used to take the pill and then stopped.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2013

I'll be 32 in May and up until a few years ago I didn't PMS or have cramps, but the cramps have come on a bit more the past few months. My emotions have pretty much stayed in check, but I have noticed a few times where I've gotten more emotional than I would have normally.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 17, 2013

I'm glad to hear I am not alone but sorry that you all are feeling my pain too! Maybe it's like a second puberty that I have to get used too. I think birth control is a good option assuming that I don't have the same side effects as when I was younger

9. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 17, 2013

Keep in mind that every hormonal birth control method/pill is different, so sometimes it can take more than one try to find the right one. Usually it takes a couple of months to adjust, but if the symptoms don't go away after that, you can try a different one.

10. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 18, 2013

I also noticed in my 30s that I developed PMS symptoms. I never had them, or noticed them before age 30. I went on the pill and my "freakouts" have deminished by half. I just could not handle the peaks and valleys I would have prior to being on the pill. Like Bison said, you may have to try more than one brand of pill to get the right one. Best thing I have ever done.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 20, 2013

I understand about the worsening PMS thing. I never had many symptoms until I got out of college. Then cramps got worse, headaches became more frequent, emotional swings like I couldn't believe. I have gotten testy with students over stupid stuff like needing to sharpen a pencil a couple days before my Aunt Flo arrived. Even I knew it was bad. Constant acne. SBDs so awful I didn't want to be around me. Killer cramps so bad I woke up crying in the middle of the night. Pain killers actually made them worse.

Eventually I got sick of it all and went to the doctor asking for BC. Totally against how I was raised, but I couldn't handle the pain anymore. My mom was mortified, but the symptom all but vanished. I chalk it all up to hormonal shifts and changes that needed to be adjusted.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2013

I've never been on birth control. I wouldn't say I've ever had PMS...not in my teens, 20s, or now (30s). I remember in some of my 20s, on only the first day it starts, I didn't used to feel good, but that's it. My mood was fine & never changed.