Worries won't go away!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by soleil00, Sep 28, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 28, 2011

I'm a first year, obviously with all my posts :lol: and I can't stop worrying.

I worry if I get off track. I worry if I miss a paper. I worry constantly!

My biggest worry of all is: are the kids learning?

Am I doing them a disservice? Am I doing what I need to do to get them to where they need to be?

Is it normal to worry this much?? I'm worried I'm worrying too much.... :dizzy:

I think I really just need reassurance that I'm not over-worrying for no reason! I'm the only first year in my grade other than one other person and she subbed for 3 years so she's super calm and hasn't a worry in the world.

3. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Sep 28, 2011

I am sure your co-worker is a worrying in their own way too. So don't compare yourself to her.

I worry alot, too. It is just in my nature. However, in regards to my teaching...it has gotten better over my 6 years of teaching. So I think it will only get better in time.

I read this just last night in my Bible and I it really helped to remind me how worrying solves nothing.. "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" -Matthew 7:27

I am sure your students are learning. I am sure you are doing your very best.

If you are worried about their progress, keep track. The assessments that you give them will give you a clear indication if they are learning. You will see what you need to re-teach and what they have learned.

Just take it day by day and don't be afraid to go to your mentor or a trusted co-worker.

Sooo...no more worrying! :)

4. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 28, 2011

I'm a natural worrier but I'm taking it to a whole new extreme :lol:

Thank you though! I wish I could just be all calm and stop worrying in the morning, but it will be a work in progress to calm myself down and stop freaking out.

I was seriously freaking out after school today because for the LIFE of me I could not remember if I put a kid on the bus since I had a note that she wasn't supposed to go to the bus today. I was sitting there racking my brain on whether she went to the bus or dismissed with the rest of us... thankfully I remembered I didn't send her today. She's just so quiet I tend to not notice her sometimes >_> that's horrible. LOL

That was a HUGE worry though.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 28, 2011

Sounds like you have a major case of the Whatifs. They're not fun, I know! Try watching this video. The voice is Shel Silverstein (which makes sense since it's his poem) and it's one of my favorite poems to pull me out of a panic attack.

6. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 28, 2011

I read that poem for a children's lit class in college. I loved that poem....

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 29, 2011

My first year or two I often had trouble falling asleep at night. Thoughts about my students would just swirl around and around in my head. It definitely gets better! I eventually learned to save those thoughts for school or for in the car. Try to set aside some time every day at home where you aren't doing anything school-related, especially right before bed. This job is difficult to leave at work!

8. beginner

beginner New Member

Sep 30, 2011

Hi, I'm a new teacher too. I worry all the time, but I am having a really hard time at school at the moment.

I'm even starting to worry whether I'm supposed to be a teacher or not!

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2011

I think it's normal to worry as a first year teacher. Just do your best. You won't be perfect, but no one is. Even next year you will have a whole different group who you will have to do things differently for. I am constantly changing how I do things to perfect my craft. I think the important thing is to just be aware of whether or not what you are doing is effective or not. One great tool that helps me do this is to look at data from within my class. I track student learning so I can see if they are actually progessing. If not, then I make adjustments. I also find working with small groups really helps when trying to target student needs. There are just some students who don't get anything from whole-class, and who greatly benefit from small groups.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 30, 2011

So, do a little assessment. Did you do any assessments at the beginning of the year? Assess the same outcomes now and see if there is any improvement. You may be surprised!

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Oct 1, 2011

Every GOOD teacher worries that her kids will not compare well against the rest of the bunch. Your job is to learn and soak up as much knowledge as you possibly can. You will shine when the time is right and feel good about most of your choices this year.

12. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Oct 1, 2011

I am a natural worrier as well, my biggest worry is that I am supposed to be there and I am not. On days we have off I always panic thinking somehow I am wrong and am supposed to be there. Some weekends I think the same thing...it is completely nuts, but those things cross my mind, I think because I am responsible for them I always worry? I am not sure why, but I completely understand where you are coming from...and I am not a 1st year teacher :)

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 1, 2011

While worrying is common, too much isn't healthy. I would highly suggest the book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie. This is a classic, a fun read, and highly inspiring. It also might be available at your public library. Otherwise since it is a mass market paperback, it is very inexpensive.

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 1, 2011

I'm a 4th year teacher and I still worry :) But at the same time I've learned that if I'm worried about something I need to find a solution.

If I'm worried about if my students are learning-- I ask them questions, I have them do an experiment and I see if it makes sense to them (can they connect concepts we've learned to the experiment?), or I have them write a journal entry using a prompt I've given them.

If I'm worried about losing papers-- I come up with an organizational method that works for me. I have a binder with all the class lists that I use one sheet for attendance and one sheet for grades (so I can put them in my online grade book later on). I have a folder to put papers to grade on one side and papers to give back on the other side. I also found out that this year I need to come up with a "what we did in class sheet" so I can make quick notes of who was absent, what we actually did (or did not do), what the homework assignment is (it can change depending on how much we get through), and anything I need to take care of before the next class (meet with certain students, email a parent, copy a certain handout, etc).

I'm still trying to figure out how to stop worrying when it comes to parents but so far no luck :) You'll find your way through doing so give yourself some time to learn!