Worried mom...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by racingmom, Oct 8, 2012.

1. racingmom

racingmom New Member

Oct 8, 2012

I am in need of some advice...I am just wanting to know if I am being an over protective mom or if I have a valid reason to be questioning this teachers processes. I have a 4 year old little boy in PreK in our local public school system. He has had 2 years of preschool at a private Lutheran church preschool. When he left there he could write his first and last name "correctly." First letter capitalized and the rest lowercase. Now the new PreK teacher has them all writing their name all capital letters. Doesn't really make sense to me to teach them a way that they will never do again because I know for a fact the Kindergarten teacher he will get next year doesn't allow that. Another issue I have is the writing utensils they are using are crayons that are about 2 inches long with rounded ends. Who can write with that? I know that I couldn't. So I guess my first question is...why would she be teaching him all caps if next year it all changes. And my second is would it be appropriate to take a box of new crayons and a box of No.2 pencils to conferences tonight and tell her that's what I want my child to use from now on?

I know these things seem minor but as a mother you want your child to excel and if hes being held back on his abilities to succeed because of the crayons and will be behind next year because of her ways, thats not fair to him at all.

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Oct 8, 2012

I wouldn't bring them to the conference tonight, but I would bring up your concerns. I would also be concerned if someone was teaching my child to write their name incorrectly. Just let the teacher know what your child was doing previously and suggestions for things that will help him succeed. As a teacher, she should want to work with the parents to help each child succeed. Go into the conference with an open mind, and don't tell the teacher what she is going to do in regards to your son. Instead, offer suggestions for her to help your son succeed.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 8, 2012

There are some schools of thought about teaching only capital letters for ID and for writing as they are easier to distinguish from one another and easier to write. I, however, do not agree with this because, as you said, in kindergarten the expectation is to write it correctly and in reading most letters are lower case. I would bring up your concerns and ask if you can send pencils/crayons for him.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 8, 2012

Are the short crayons triangular shaped? I know I prefer my kinders to use triangular shaped crayons & pencils as it helps with pencil grip. So does using a short pencil.

I don't get the only using a crayon to write with. I don't want my kinders coming to me writing their name in all caps either! But, all caps is better then nothing!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 8, 2012

I had some issues with my GS toddler classroom. They would not provide him with proper eating utensils. They did not have a fork in the whole center. Even SA kids had to use a spoon. I put a stop to that, as my GS ate with a knife and fork Euopean style, as the rest of the household.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2012

Many occupational therapists recommend the short crayons and pencils to promote good pencil grip. That is not unusual. Does she have a variety of other writing implements? I know my budget was cut drastically this year.

As to writing in uppercase - I can't support that, but you can ask her politely and see if she has a research-based reason for it.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 8, 2012

I HATE it when kids write in all caps. That is a bad habit that is SO HARD to break.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2012

The teachers in public Pre-K here teach the kids to write their names in all caps. I have tried to get them to change this practice, but they won't budge. I teach them the "correct way" all summer in my daycare class and they learn it well. In the Fall, they go off to the public school and they are taught the wrong way, all caps. It is so frustrating!

10. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 8, 2012

How did your meeting go?

11. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Oct 9, 2012

I believe Handwriting Without Tears focuses on learning all caps in preschool, and I know the PreK program in my school uses it. I teach in Head Start and we don't have it (yet) but I have heard really great things about it.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2012

When children see print, it's rarely in all caps. It's not helping them to read by using all caps when learning to write.
    In my 21 years of teaching Pre-K, I've learned that children can write a lowercase letter just as easily as an uppercase letter.

13. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 9, 2012

I have seen the shortened writing tools before. Some kids do seem to have better with a shorter writing tool. I just do not get how to help with hand-over-hand using a shorter writing tool.

I do not get the only capital letters nonsense. To me all caps is harder to read. Most street signs in our area are in all caps, the city is slowly changing this to the proper way...caps and lower case. Those signs are much easier to read.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2012

Not sure what you mean with hand over hand. Another tip I have seen is to have them hold a pom pom in their 3 lower fingers and grip the pencil with their pincher grip.

15. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 9, 2012

Hand over hand is someone guided the child's hand to complete writing. It's used to help 1 of the kids in the preschool class I am in. He cannot write on his own. I guess hand over hand is used for kids who don't have the fine motor skills need for writing.

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 11, 2012

That pom pom trick WORKS!

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2012

I repeat.

18. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Oct 12, 2012

This is exactly what is going on. The smaller writing instruments are part of the program. They are learning to form the capital letters in a specific manner(lines and curves). Next year they will add lower case letters. Please ask the teacher what you can do to help, and to explain the philosophy to you. You might want to change what you are doing. We use the same program, and our students love handwriting now. They have wonderful handwriting by the time they reach first grade!