Worried about "my kids"

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2009

There was a "frenzy" (Others are calling it a "stampede") at a local mall this afternoon after a pop star was supposed to appear.

I had a number of kids absent today, and heard several saying they were headed for "the mall" after school. If they were going to "the mall" Roosevelt Field is the one they would be going to.

Here's the story, taken from www.news12.com

[Pop star's no-show at LI mall sparks frenzy
    (11/20/09) GARDEN CITY - Hoards of teenage girls packed into Roosevelt Field Mall Friday to see 15-year-old pop star Justin Beiber, but when word came his appearance was canceled, police had to be called in to control the angry crowd.
    Some of the teens say they skipped school and camped out at 5 a.m. to see Bieber. They say the crowd went crazy when they heard of the cancellation.

Nassau police say they were called by mall security to disperse the crowd and make sure no one got hurt.

I heard local reports that people were taken to the hospital, and that one man was arrested. This will be on my mind all weekend, till I know our kids are OK.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2009

I hope your kids are ok.

What kinds of parents take their kids out of school to see a pop star (who is this person???)

Believe it or not, 2 fourth graders left school today in my district to go see the new 'Twilight' movie....:eek:

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2009

THOSE kind of parents.:(

I had 2 girls who are best friends absent from my freshmen homeroom today. Neither one had any apparent symptoms yesterday. I bet you a dollar they were at Roosevelt Field.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2009

Stupid stupid...

and guaranteed these are the SAME parents wanting to know why little Brittany and Tiffany are failing math...

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 20, 2009

UGH. There are things I would pull my kids out of school for, but neither of these two things is one of them. Hopefully none of your kids were injured.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2009

My grade 8 girls are "so in love" with Justin Bieber because he is just "so hot"! 3 of them went to see him 2 weeks ago when he was here. I can't imagine giving either of my children permission to take a day off school for this. I hope that yours are all okay, Alice.

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Nov 20, 2009

Who?!? Never heard of him...

Crazy parents! I had a student leave early today to go see a movie. His mom told the front office he had a doctor's appointment, but right before he left he excitedly told me he was going to the movies with his mom. I asked him about his appointment and he said he didn't have one. :mad: He missed SO much work!!

Anyway, I hope your kids are okay!!

9. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Nov 20, 2009

Haha, I missed a couple days of school go to see Hanson in NYC when I was younger. In fact, I think my mom took a day off and came with me once (they were on the Rosie O'Donnell show and we went to the taping). I think a once-in-a-blue-moon day off to go try to meet a celebrity you're a big fan of isn't that bad and I'd let my kids do it once or twice just because I know how it feels. It's a memory made. I would not take them out of school to go see a movie, though - that's pushing it.

Anyway, I hope those kids are okay. Those mall appearances are scary. I'm surprised they did it, still - he drew a pretty large crowd on the Today Show, I would think they would have thought a mall was not a good venue for him anymore.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2009

Especially since Justice, which hosted the event, is on the second floor. There's a 4'high glass (I suppose it's lucite or something fairly enforced) fence separating that level from the one below.

The potential for someone falling from one level to another is pretty serious in a mob. Plus, the absence of a wider expanse, such as the one on the floor below, severely limits your movement in a mob. You can go forward or back, but the stores are on one side and that fence is on another.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 20, 2009

I never got to miss school for things like that, but I went to many of them. If my child had good grades and no major assignments that day, I may occasionally (once a year TOPS) let him or her skip school for an event like that. It would have to be for something that was once-in-a-lifetime, thouh. Not just a movie.

My mom is still bitter that her parents made her go to church when the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show. No VCR/DVR = my mom being the only kid who didn't see it.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 20, 2009

My parents let me skip school to see both George Bush Sr. and Bill Clinton speak during their 1992 campaign (my Sr. year). Of course, the school being a boarding school pretty much condoned it, since they provided busses (though we still had to get parental permission. Does that even count as skipping school?

13. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 20, 2009

I dislike Roosevelt Field mall greatly. My mom told me about this earlier... she works over by Roosevelt Field and said things were insane earlier this afternoon. I hope everyone is okay though!!!!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2009

I'm not a fan either. In fact, I was at Broadway Mall in Hicksville (MUCH smaller) when I heard the news.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 21, 2009

I hope all your students are fine Alice. How scary.

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 21, 2009

I personally don't like big mob-like crowds to start with, I'm short and feel like I'm lost.

No, I would not have let my kids skip class for something like this.

Hope your kids are ok Alice, please keep us up to date.

17. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 21, 2009

My favorite mall on LI. I think it's because of the IKEA- I love IKEA :lol:

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2009

It's funny... IKEA is the one store that gives me the heebie-geebies.

I love their stuff; we got our current couch and end tables there, and 2 of the kids' beds.

But it's such a maze. The teacher in me can't stop wondering what would happen in an emergency if we lost power... how on EARTH we would find our way out of there!!!

19. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 21, 2009

That's the only thing that bugs me out. They opened up a brand new IKEA by the law firm I work @ here in Tampa. My co-workers go there for lunch, and when they are late coming back they say "I couldn't find my way back to the feet to find my way out."

I think I have to go back to find a bookshelf though. My books are stacking up on the floor next to the one I have now, and it doesn't make me very happy.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2009

Well, several of my kids were indeed at Roosevelt Field on Friday night, but thankfully none were injured.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 23, 2009

That's good news....that they weren't hurt. I'm happy for you that it wasn't your kids, but still sad about the other kids. What is this world coming to when kids get hurt over some famous person. *sigh*

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2009

Well, it wasn't intentional violence, just really bad crowd control for the most part. The main concern seems to have been that the railing would give way and a mob of kids would drop the 20' or so to the bottom level. They're incredibly lucky that it was avoided from what I understand.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, but still. I know kids get excited, but it's still sad that it comes to that.