Worried about lay-offs.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Feb 20, 2010.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 20, 2010

I just found out today that my district is cutting 56 teachers next year. As a 2nd year teacher, I don't have tenure yet. I also have a really small case load at 6 projected students.

I mean, 56 teachers. It's like they went through a list and said, "Okay we can cut that one, and that one.... and that one..." I mean, what an odd number. It's like they have all their cuts ready to go, and instead of telling us WHO, they've just announced "56 cuts." So now we get to wait. And I'm not sure when pink slips come out.

Dang. Just when I was thinking I was getting somewhere and finally found a great spot. Who else would they cut? I'm thinking sped would get cut first.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2010

We are lucky not to be losing any staff next year; staffing numbers are based on enrollment and ours will be relatively stable. In my school board, and in all of Ontario as far as I know, any cuts to staff at a particular school are done solely on the basis of seniority with the board--last hired = first cut. Each school has a seniority list, so it's easy to know who will have to look for another position.

4. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

From what I hear, sped is usually the last to get cut in a lot of places. In your case, I really hope that is true. Even though you only have six students, the school needs a teacher for those six. If I'm not mistaken, you're in life skills right?? If that's true, then what are they going to do if you get cut because the students aren't in the mainstream? In my area, special ed is considered to be a high needs area along with math and science. I really hope what I'm saying is true for you!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 21, 2010

They probably looked at the budget and looked the numbers and decided how many teachers needed to be cut. Not by going teacher by teacher.

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 21, 2010

Thanks for the feedback, gang. Ironically, my principal called me this morning (on a Sunday??) and I asked her about it. She said she was just as shocked to hear about the lay-offs and will fight to keep her sped teachers because she's already short two certified sped teachers. And that reminded me that yes, there is a full-time sub currently teaching the transition classroom. So that made me feel a little safer. But only a little bit! Just please keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Feb 21, 2010

We have a new Superintendent, and a new Governor this year. Our new Governor here in NJ is, how do we say, not in love with teachers and teachers' union, and feels they are the reason NJ's budget is in the hole! They have borrowed against our pensions and not repaid them, and now they are talking about freezing salaries, messing with our health insurance, etc. Layoffs?? I am thinking yes for this year; we were spared last year with the stimulus funding but look to be on our own this year. It is sad to always have to justify the job we do - it all comes down to State testing. Good luck! Many times District money comes through in the last hour.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2010

I could see them combining classes to make it hit the absolute top number possible (i.e. if there are two life skills classes with 6 kids, they will make it be the absolute cap of 10 kids for one class, with two that move to a resource setting, or something like that). They could cut out resource teachers, etc. and somehow turn life skills teachers into resource teachers (they did that at my school in TX... total nightmare... kids would come in for extra help but it was totally inappropriate to have to go to the severe/profound room to receive that help...) I'm sure you're needed. Don't worry about it! Your kids need a teacher!

In my school, I only have five students. But, there is nowhere for them to go. There's no way my kids could ever survive in a regular classroom, or even a "replacement" (middle school resource) classroom. So, I feel fairly safe. Also, they are bringing back two kids from out of district (thus, saving nearly $150k) to be in my classroom. So I'm saving them money, not taking it from them!

But yeah, the NJ governor is not a fave of the teachers right now.

9. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 21, 2010

State testing as a gauge for our teaching ability is such a joke. Middle school kiddos (and especially high school kids) could care less about state exams. Heck, if we had to take those back when I went to school, I would have been making designs on my scantron. Seriously, what kid cares what they get on the ISAT? Our district tries everything too. ISAT posters, ISAT t-shirts for staff, peppermints and bottled water for the kids - - anything to get them motivated and it still doesn't seem to work. :banghead:

10. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Feb 21, 2010

Does anyone know where any of those "created education" job are? Certainly not in my state. Tchrs will lose jobs here at end of yr., as well :(

11. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

Not true. I am SPED and I was laid off last year in my district. It can and does happen. I was recalled before the school year began thank goodness.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2010

Our cuts happen based on seniority. The district posts seniority lists every year. My number is something like 16,000 out of like 25,000 or so. It's possible I could get bumped from my school site in the event that my school decides to cut my program, though. If the program is cut, the bump is not based on seniority. Bah.

Is the issue of RIFfing addressed in your contract? What does it say?

13. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Feb 22, 2010

What they did to us sped teachers. . .instead of a riff for us not tenured teacher

my last district non-renewed about 15 sped teachers. I was one of the choosen to be non-renewed at the time I thought I did something wrong

only to find out I was non-renewed due to budget. . .the district riff over 500 teachers and non-renewed quite a few more.
    all in the name of budget

Looking back now the best thing to ever happen. . .

It sounds like your principal is going to go to bat for you!

Stephanie

14. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 24, 2010

Just says that if your non-tenure, you can be bumped by a vet displaced teacher. But they say that you'll most likely be picked right back up again - - just in a different spot. boo

As an update, my principal emailed everyone and said that no positions were being cut at our school. However, that doesn't mean that I won't get RIFed. (Why isn't there a crossed fingers smiley? lol)

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 25, 2010

Fingers crossed for you Zoom!

16. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Mar 3, 2010

In my case my SPED Director already let me know I'm going to get pink slipped because all 1st and 2nd year teachers are getting pink slips. It's possible for rehire but like it was said, you can't always count on that.

Good luck in your situation!

17. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2010

I never understood "tenure." We did not have "tenure" in TX and when I moved to NJ, it was all the hype. Everyone talks about "Getting tenured" and I still don't get it. I guess I understand the concept of it... but it is just weird to me. We have to submit all kinds of paperwork documenting professional development in order to "earn tenure." Weird.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2010

teachersk~I'm in TX too and tenure is such a foreign concept to me. I know that once you teach in a school for x amount of years you get to stay at that school no matter what (unless you do something REALLY bad).

Zoom~I'm sorry about the cuts. I know that budget has been an issue recently here. We had an outside staffing survey and our sped staff looks overstaffed, but when you consider we have full inclusion for most of our sped that require support personnel, resource for some, and then life skills. They aren't talking cuts, just not replacing those that leave.

19. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Mar 4, 2010

My district just announced they're going to lay off 5,196 school employees (principals, teachers, assistants, librarians, nurses, etc).

20. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 4, 2010

You teach in a district for a certain number of years (typically 3 years and one day) then you are guaranteed you will not be fired, or you will have your day in court.

21. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Mar 4, 2010

It's four years here. So at the beginning of your 5th year, you're safe. I can't wait!

I've been told that all pink slips will be delivered by mid-March. I'm still holding my breath. They've already cut two teachers at my school but they were gen ed. One was a 3rd year and the other was a 1st year.

22. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2010

I must have jinxed myself because all non-tenured staff in my district got RIF letters today!!!! I can't believe it!!!!

Everyone said, "Teachersk, Don't worry - nobody wants your job."

Just the fact that I don't have a guaranteed job next year (even if a tenured teacher wouldn't "want" my job if theirs got nixed...) -- is scary! I am our income!

Is anyone else in this situation? They told us to put out resumes and to let them know if we got offers elsewhere, at which point they would tell us if our job was "secure" or not. (?????)

This is just crazy. Why would they take me out of my autism classroom and put some tenured (not-interested-in-autism-no-training-old-) person in my classroom?? It makes no sense to me.

I don't understand RIF (I get it that we have budget cuts because of dumb Chris Christie, but the whole concept of tenured teachers (even without experience or desire to be in an autism classroom) - could end up in my position.

Help explain it to me - and what are my chances??

23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2010

Wow! Will there be anyone left to teach in your district?

24. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Mar 11, 2010

Well, we do have a pretty big district (Los Angeles Unified), second largest in the nation, but it's still a big number of layoffs.

I just went to a meeting in the district where I heard that they're going to close 27 special day classrooms just in my area (in the local district, a part of the big district). That's crazy!

25. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Mar 12, 2010

LACOE is Laying Off Special Education Teachers Too!

Chokita,

I work for LACOE (Los Angeles County Office of Education) where we serve the most severely disabled students that the districts aren't able to find placement before non-public schools. We are facing budget cuts as well. They are closing one of our Juvenile camps and those teachers will be able to "bump" other teachers if these teachers hold a special education credential. I don't know what to expect. I hear that we are supposed to be notified by March 15th (Monday) if we are going to get "RIF" letters too. This is my 11th year of teaching students with severe disabilities. I taught autism previously (LOVED IT immensely). The districts we serve are taking back the students with autism right now and the next ones they may take back are the severe-profound multiple disabled students (mine). The future of special education in California is ridiculous.

26. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Mar 12, 2010

Yes, California special education in public schools is suffering so much. It is sad for our students. As stressed as I am about having to look for a job again, I am disgusted with the public education system's current state and wonder about keeping with it for the time being.

27. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Mar 14, 2010

sk - - - It may be diffrent where you're at but I'm in Illinois and just went to a union meeting about RIF's. (So far they're only RIFfing 1st and 2nd year elementary positions from what we're told - - and since certified special ed teacher spots are still open in our district, they haven't displaced any of those teachers to my knowledge.) Anyway, what we were told, was that 56 tenured teachers would be displaced. In addition, they were RIFing 56 1st and 2nd years. The displaced tenured teachers will have dibs on THE POSITIONS THAT THEY ARE OFFERED. In other words, the displaced teachers can't go down a list of RIFfed spots and go, "Mmm.... THAT one." So when a spot opens, the three displaced tenured teachers with the most senority will get a call for that job. They either take it or turn it down. It keeps going until they're all hired back. But let's say there's a middle school english spot that's still available (via resignations, or discontinued one-year-only contract) after all the tenured displaced folks turn it down - - then it's open for volunteer transfer. Then if that position is still not wanted, they start calling from the RIF list - BUT they call three of them who have the most experience. And we've been told by our union that if you're on the RIF list and you get a call for a job offer - TAKE IT. Don't hold out for dream job right now. Just take the job to get back in.

Then again, we were told that every district is different. That's how our contract reads. Yours could be different. I hope that helps though. You may have been RIFfed (and I'm REALLY sorry to hear that you have been - you sound like a really cool teacher) but that doesn't mean that they'll put a non-certified, non-interested gen ed teacher in your spot just because it's open. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!! :hugs:

Meanwhile, I have to wait until the end of March for all the pink slips to go out to see if I still have a job. That's 2 1/2 more weeks of waiting... :(

28. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Apr 1, 2010

Maybe not the last to be cut...but the one they feel they can "tinker" with, like revisiting IEPs and changing an Inclusion class from one needing an inclusion teacher in the classroom to just Assisted Support which can be administered by a Para. Is it legal? I don't think so, and every year we argue with the case managers about it but the bottom line is until the parents start screaming nothing happens.

29. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Apr 1, 2010

Being in NJ, I also feel your pain! Most Districts are covering themselves with the RIF/RICE letters. As it was explained to us - even though our District is basically eliminating 25 teaching positions, it will impact up to 50 or 75 other teachers due to seniority, certifications and degree "bumping" rights. In our District we are all getting RICE letters, but now they are also eliminating all teacher aide positions in classes with less than 25 students because supposedly that is what the County Supers have told them they need to do, all to save $237,000.