Worried about job...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Jan 21, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 21, 2009

I posted a few weeks ago how I had a meeting with principal and he basically told me that I didn't have a good semester in the fall (my first year here)...and they were concerned. He put me on an 'intensive assistance' program where I have to sit in on department heads class once a week...turn in lesson plans every other day...and be more involved with my class...walking around and such.
    He said that if they see that I have met these things...then they will consider me being very successful for the school. We will have another formal meeting at the end of March.
    On top of those things...which I have been doing every week...I spoke with my principal last week, and told him about an idea I had (bf told me about it..). Making a web video tutorial each week for my 2 subject classes...like a review over the stuff we had gone over. Post it on YouTube or something. He was really excited by the idea...and said he would have to pass it by the assistant principals to make sure they were ok with it. I told him that I would make a demo video and show it to him this week...which I'll get to him by Friday.
    Hopefully it will work out, and it will take off with the kids.
    They sent out letters of intent for us to fill out (so they can get an idea of staffing needs next year)...of course I said I wanted to come back.
    Any ideas on how to make me more appealing as a teacher? I am going to ask my assistant principals to visit my classes (non-formally)...just to see how I am doing...same with department head.
    I really want to keep this job...especially since this is prime job hunting time and by the time they let us know if they want us back or not...it will be too late to find another job.
    :thanks:

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 21, 2009

Good thoughts and prayers your way. Just keep working on all the things they suggested!!

4. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 21, 2009

teachertube.com might be a more parent friendly site to use.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 21, 2009

thanks for the well wishes and suggestions :)

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2009

I agree with the others. Listen to what they suggest and I mean really listen and work on making the changes suggested. Be able to state what changes you made and how it was working (or not). Admin. loves technology so I think you're on the right track. You just have to prove that you can keep control without it as well. Sounds like you have a very positive attitude about a difficult situation. Very mature!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2009

I love your idea. But I agree: suggest showing it on Teachertube instead. It's the same sort of site, but less likely to host objectionable material that kids could stumble across.

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2009

I'm with adventures, I think youtube is a little too controversial (wrong word... but you get it...) Maybe start a wordpress blog or something where you can upload your videos without the kids having to sign onto an outside site.

Other than that, I think as long as you've followed their recommendations and shown your desire to improve, that's the best you can do.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 21, 2009

I will definitely mention teachertube to my principal. I really want to do better. This school is such a great one...it would kill me to leave...

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2009

Could you post them on your school web site?

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 21, 2009

I asked about that...but our website doesn't support the files.

12. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 21, 2009

If your school uses scholastic or something similar to class pages you may be able to upload things there as well. I don't think Scholastic has a place for video, but i'm sure some sites do.

13. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 22, 2009

Well...video is not going to be approved. He went to a policy meeting today...and the head person...whoever...said they don't want teachers broadcasting stuff online.
    -sigh-
    this day has just sucked

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2009

Wait.

You still had an idea that your principal loved. Whether or not it gets approved is almost unimportant (though I know you're probably incredibly disappointed.) The point is that your principal sees that your heart and soul are in this, that you're innovative, and willing to work on the areas he spoke to you about.

(It's probably fear of a lawsuit should a student appear in the video. Or the hassle of having to preview each and every video that you-- and everyone who steals your idea-- uses, to prevent a problem. Don't assume that it's a negative reflection on you!)

I would say it wasn't all that bad a day.

15. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2009

st- what about using audacity and recording the notes or matrial then adding it to power points or a video that you could copy and hand out to students

16. reverie

reverie Companion

Jan 22, 2009

What if you had them do more group work? Then you could for sure walk around and check on each group.

17. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 22, 2009

thanks, alice...just kinda bummed about that...and losing debit card...
    deedee-I'll ask about that...thanks :)

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 22, 2009

I like that, reverie...I'll try to add that into next week's plans...

I did have department head come to class today...at my request. She said she was concerned with the amount of paper I was using...I print out the powerpoint presentations for students and have them right the notes to the side with fill in the blanks. She said I seemed to be more involved with the class...and they seemed to enjoy it a lot.
    Hopefully she will pass that on to principal.

19. reverie

reverie Companion

Jan 22, 2009

Could you post the powerpoints on the school website? That way kids can print them if they want at home or just review them if they need a review.

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 22, 2009

I'll look into that tomorrow...would keep them happy about the paper :)