Worried about having my own website for teaching!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 6, 2008.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

My principal insists we all use a free website tool called schoolnotes.com for posting important info and keeping parents updated with what's happening. Does anyone else use this or do you use your own websites? If you do use your own, how do you keep everyone and anyone from invading your professional privacy? I know everyone does it but how do you create a website for teaching and feel safe about it? (I'm aging myself, huh?):eek:

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

Zoe, I just signed up and looked at the site. If you're worried about professional privacy, don't put anything on the site that you want to keep personal. It doesn't ask for your personal address & don't put kid's addresses on it. Just jump in there and do it. My district provides our websites through Edline.com. Parents can access EVERYTHING there from grades to Teacher's Notes. Good luck, you can do it.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

I have a website through Online Solutions for Educators. I used to have my own domain but didn't want to pay monthly because I was cutting corners. When I am able, I'll go ahead and have my own domain and site. For the meantime, this does great.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 6, 2008

If you post students' names, only post their first names and perhaps the first letter of their last name- example Chris G.

Don't post anything personal about yourself besides maybe a short autobiography and your e-mail address.

Don't post students' personal grades for all to see.

Besides that, you're being professional.

6. mochateacher

mochateacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

As part of my teacher education program I had to get a two year subscribtion to TaskStream (www.taskstream.com). Although I don't like everything about taskstream, I do like the fact that you can create webquests and teacher webpages. I've created my webpage through taskstream and it gives me the option to password protect the page. So, the parents in my class will be able to access the page via the password.

Again, as others have said, just be careful with student information. But, have fun with it. :)

~Paula~

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

I didn't realize schoolnotes was free! I use scholastic, but I just didn't like it. I also wasn't having parents use it.

My son's elementary school used school notes. As a parent I liked it because I could program it send me an email when it was updated. She also updated it weekly.

8. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

My school uses TeacherWeb (www.teacherweb.com). We update our assignments weekly for each class. After the first month it became part of my weekly routine. I love being able to post websites for students and uploading documents that students can access at home.

I know that it isn't free- but it may be worth looking into.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

We use TeacherWeb too. Our school provides it, but I think it's only about $30 a year for an individual.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 7, 2008

I tried scholastic, but I thought it was too complicated, so I gave up (and I'm pretty tech-savvy). I'm thinking about trying schoolnotes. I'll let you know...

11. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

Our school is doing the same thing, Zoe. The one thing they keep preaching is to be careful when posting student pictures. No picture can be linked to the kids name. We can use first names, if there is a group of kids in the picture, but if it is just one, we can't use a name. They are saying they want the kids to be unidentifiable, so that provides a level of security.

I agree with the others about not posting grades. I would do it as basic information--upcoming events, homework, kudos for kids, etc. Just another link in the communication chain.

I hope you like it once you get it started! :)

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2008

School notes is very easy to use. You only have one page and it does not have a lot of memory to use. Therefore, you HAVE to keep it simple! I personally wish we used something else because all you can pretty much do is type information all on the one page.
    Really, don't worry about it! On my page (right now it is empty), I usually had our schedule, important upcoming dates, class wish list, reminders to study spelling and X facts. In the beginning of the year I put up homework assignments and spelling words, but it became a pain to update daily.
    There is also room for links that are separate from your page. They come up listed on the bottom. I just put AAAMath.com and a few others.

13. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I use school notes. I put the kids homework there and also important announcements or things we are looking forward to.

I just change the date and the homework and keep a lot of things up there... like "REMEMBER GOOD HYGENE!" haha. That really got added when we had the MRSA problem, but its important for our kids who are beginning to be stinky!

I just have it on the smart board and the kids write it in their agendas!

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

I have a personal site, but you can still check it out for possible ideas. I never use last names, and I never post captions to pictures-no names with pictures, in other words. My whole life is online, so I'm pretty use to people knowing a lot about me. But my classroom website is very professional (I think), and it gives parents a lot of information. I'll be adding our pacing guide, assignments (I try to upload all the resources as well so I don't get-I forgot it at school!-then print it out at home!), etc. as school starts.

www.mrs.uppman.com

15. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

With copying/papers being a premium at my school, I like the idea of using a website to communicate with parents. I used scholastic last year. I had about 4 parents look at it last year. I plan on using it this year as my primary communication with parents.:cool:

16. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

In my last school we had to use schoolnotes too. It is really easy to use. Like other posters have said though it is really just one page. You basically just list your assignments. You can also do links to other websites and add small graphics but it is definitely not necessary. My P never looked at our pages even though he insisted we had them.