Worried about DS's speech

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Bella2010, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 15, 2014

DS will be four in June. For the most part, he talks well. He can carry on a conversation in complete sentences, talks when he's pretend playing, and most people who don't know him understand what he's saying.

But, sometimes he still talks gibberish. It usually comes at the end of a long string of sentences. Like if he's trying to tell a story about something that happened, the first five or six sentences go well, but after that he starts talking gibberish. I've Googled speech milestones and he sounds on target, but I couldn't find anything about sill speaking gibberish at his age. He's at all the milestones for a 3 year-old and some for a 4.

Anyone else's kiddo done this?

Beth

3. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2014

Is your child in daycare or pre-school? Perhaps ask your teacher if he/she has noticed this and if it is having an impact on his educational progress or social progress.
    You can always call your state Early Intervention office for a free evaluation. If he does qualify for services, it will be free and if needed, the services will follow him directly into kindergarten.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 15, 2014

I have a coworker who has her son going through evaluation for speech. He should be in PreK next year. She started him with the speech therapist. He'll receive services this year.

5. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 15, 2014

He goes to a little preschool two days a week from 8:30 to 11:00. I don't think it's impacting his academic learning. He recognizes all his shapes, colors, letters of the alphabet, and associates some letters and their sounds. He pretends to have circle time with me. He'll get his shape and letter cookie cutters and hold them up and ask me, "What shape/color is this?"

I asked DH what he thought. He said, "Did you throw the book away?" I asked what book. He said the instruction book he came with. :rolleyes: He can be such a smart butt.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

I'd say if you are worried, contact your county early intervention program

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 16, 2014

Yes, maybe look into trying to chat with your school's SLP about it. I don't think it calls for actual speech therapy.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 16, 2014

I don't think this is anything to worry about at this age. Keep an eye on it, but the fact that he is telling a story of 5 or 6 sentences at his age and milestones show advanced, he may just be getting tired by the end or losing track of what he wanted to say. So, he ends with a bunch of mumble. He may understand the idea of wrapping up what is being said (without even realizing it) but not have the thoughts to do so.

Keep an eye on it. If he is on-par, I highly doubt you would find anyone that is willing to investigate what is going on.

Have you tried to stop him and ask him to repeat what he was saying?

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2014

However, if your district offers a speech screening, request one now.

10. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 16, 2014

I tried that earlier this morning, and I think it helped a little. At least when I asked him to repeat himself, I could recognize a few words instead of nothing at all.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. He has always been on target with everything, and even though at times I felt talking was kind of lagging, he was still on target with it. I think I keep comparing him to my niece and nephew because it's my anchor point.

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2014

If you are concerned, I would find a speech pathologist who can do a screening and see if he's on track. It's always best to consult a professional in a situation like this.

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2014

If you are concerned, follow your gut. It's better to be sure.

With that said, I think he's fine. He may be enjoying telling the story, wants to continue it, but has run out of things to say. Or he may be sorting the next thought, or ten, in his head and is simply 'filling' the time.