Worried about district blacklisting me if I say no to one sped class

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thesub, Oct 4, 2013.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 4, 2013

After several years subbing, this year I am a parapro in a self-contained elementary autism class in the mornings in Mrs. Y's class. This is in my home district where my kids go to school.I love this class - the teacher is excellent and has great learning programs for everyone and runs a very tight ship.

Now some afternoons, I have subbed in another sped class (call it Mrs X's class) in the same building - total choas with only 6 kids and 4 staff members. Fights break out every 20 mins and one little girl throws tantrums all day. Today the aides were recording their injuries on the iPad to show to the CST etc. Thankfully I was given the "easier" kids and my day was ok. But I'd rather not go back to this class again.

I see Mrs. X at lunch and around the building - she's nice but I think she's weak in discipline. If I keep saying no if she asks me to sub in her class, both she and HR might get mad at me.

I am also nervous that I will suddenly be transferred to this class as an aide - our district is known for moving aides willy-nilly and nobody protests. But I will put my foot down and refuse to work in this class daily - I can survive the subbing but not daily work.

How would you all handle the situation?

I can go to other districts if my home district does not want me but the pay is lower and they are not known as "good" districts.

Should I tell Mrs Y (in the nice class) to tell Mrs. X (the rowdy class) not to call me as a sub anymore? If I make the home district mad, they will not hire me as an aide. Is it illegal for them to prevent me from going back to subbing if they don't want me as an aide?

Thank you so much,
    thesub

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2013

Don't get Mrs. Y involved in the situation. It's not her business and it will probably just make her feel awkward.

The truth is that you might get blacklisted for not accepting the job. I think that it's very doubtful, though, especially if you are good in Mrs. Y's room.

Don't stress so much.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 4, 2013

It sounds like you're talking about two very different sped classrooms. You've identified the first (Mrs. Y's class) as an autism classroom. You didn't specify, but it sounds like the second (Mrs. X's class) is an ED classroom. Those two types of classrooms are guaranteed to be different and neither sounds out of the norm. Because I work with ED students and experience days that sound similar to what you've described for Mrs. X's class, I feel it's unfair to call her weak in discipline. That is a possibility, but it's more likely that she's dealing with students who have a very different disability than those in Mrs. Y's class, hence why the students are in two separate classrooms. It may have nothing to do with the teacher's discipline and everything to do with the nature of the students' disabilities.

As to your question though, I don't think it will get you blacklisted, especially if you offer an honest explanation about why you turn down jobs for that classroom (just don't say the teacher is weak in discipline; rather, say you're uncomfortable). However, turning down those jobs will do nothing to win over the staff and increase your opportunities and reputation within that school. I don't know if you're looking for your own classroom teaching job, but, if you are, I'd advise you to not turn down any job in the school.

5. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 5, 2013

Thank you both.

Bella84. I am not a certified teacher and not looking for
    My classroom. You are probably right that I should not
    Jump to conclusions . I will definitely not tell anyone what I think of
    the teacher - it was my pvt opinion on this forum only. The girls tantrums were horrifying and I felt very bad
    For the aide who was trying to restrain her. I will only tell HR that I
    Am not suited for this classroom and deal with the consequences.
    Thanks again

6. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Oct 22, 2013

What I've found is this, do what you're comfortable with. It's better to say no, than get yourself in a classroom situation that you don't feel well qualified for and end up having a bad day, or something that is going to make you look bad in the long wrong. I have been really open to trying different things, like RSP, etc. I don't do high school though, I know I would not be a good high school sub. I did say end up saying no to some job offers before, and worried like you are. In the end, I just got more jobs that are what I feel like I am better suited for. I have been very open and honest about what I feel I am better suited for, and it's worked out that I get job vacancies I feel best suited at. I don't want to go into a school and classroom and be a total flop. I do not ever say anything about a teacher, or the classroom, but I do keep note if I don't think I'd want to sub for that class again (although that's only happened once). It was a special ed class that I felt I was in over my head with. Thankfully extra help persons were in there, but wouldn't do it again.