Worn Out!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by linall, Jan 23, 2007.

1. linall

linall New Member

Jan 23, 2007

So, as I have been told, your first year is the worst. I wasn't gonna be that teacher... I was gonna love my job. Now I find each night that my work is piled up. I spend most of my weekends worrying about Monday morning, I hate the sound of my voice by the end of the day, I feel like my classroom is a mess and I am scared my students are learning enough about reading and writing. How do you know if this is the right career? I LOVE my students, there are sometimes when my low students and high students have such a huge gap though it is SO hard to teach. I teach first grade and an inner-city school and there are some moments that I do love but I am so down and out and tempted to look for another career... any advice?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 23, 2007

Don't give up yet. You are only half way through the year. I'm also a first year teacher. I teach kindergarten to eighth grade. I was doing the same thing as you at the beginning of the year. In December I realized how to better manage my time.
    And I'm still starting to use it better. I do bring work home. But I have been trying to cut back.
    Next year will get easier!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2007

Next year is SO much easier!!!!

You have more of a handle on what works and doesn't for you. You have a better handle on the academics. You have the "teacher voice" and the "teacher look" down pat.

Hang in there. It does get soooo much easier!!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 23, 2007

I certainly hope it gets easier. This is my 1st year too. I think I can stick this out for at least 2 or 3 yrs before I make the serious decision to stay with it or start looking into something else.

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 24, 2007

It will get better! My first year I felt the same way. I worked all day and brought piles of papers home each night. It was the true "survivor" phase of teaching. I was so uptight at school that each time the intercom came on for announcements, I jumped a foot in the air. Now, eight years later, I LOVE my job! I look forward to going to work (okay, I do love snow days and weekends too - I am human). Although I teach the children, I have learned how to laugh and talk to them, but still maintain discipline. Be sure to take time for yourself and don't let it overwhelm you.
    When you learn how to balance your time, develop a classroom management system, and discover your true classroom personality (and you will), you will relax and enjoy it much, much more!

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2007

It will get easier but you'll still get worn out. You will have to just sometimes say, "I need a break". Year after year, you'll learn the tricks that work for you- when to get this done, when is a good time for that, etc. So, stick with it and remember to take time for yourself just to do nothing. That's what keeps me going after 12 years.

8. pleiades417

pleiades417 New Member

Jan 30, 2007

Right there with you.

I know exactly how you feel. I am a first year teacher too, and all I do is work. My family barely talks to me because they say I am so uptight all the time. Everyone says it gets better. I hope they are right.

9. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Feb 3, 2007

Enough teachers have told me the first year is the worst, so there must be something to that. The first year is full of tinkering and trial by fire/error to find the systems and organization that works best for us. By the end of the first year, I think we will have found out so much about who we are as a person, as a teacher, and how to organize to provide for a more efficient second year and years to come.

In the end, we only get one shot at being a first year teacher, so enjoy the ride and look forward to the newbies years down the road who we can pass on to our horror stories and lessons learned .

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 3, 2007

Mr. Windchill, you clearly do not blow hot air! Thank you, sir.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2007

More witty reparte!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 3, 2007

Which I did intend as a compliment.

Mr. Windchill, your words are wise - the very antithesis of blowing hot air. No sarcasm intended, and I hope none perceived.

13. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Feb 3, 2007

I assumed not (sarcasm) ... I just missed the play on words ... my fault :eek:

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2007

I caught it, and wish I had said it first. I have trouble being that clever this late at night (and, to be honest, frequently much earlier!)

15. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 3, 2007

I think everyone has a horror story to tell about their first year of teaching. We are so excited, can't wait to get into it and get our feet wet and then, boom...we realize that what they taught us in college is not the reality of the classroom. In college, they taught us methods and strategies but didn't bother to let us know that our class would NOT be made up of the perfect students we all envisioned. We are tired, stressed out, in tears, and most of the time, wondering what in the world we were thinking. And then, you get that one moment when a student "gets it" or a student looks up at you with that understanding in his/her eyes and you realize exactly why you took on the task of teacher, mentor, entertainer, counselor, nurturer, listener, and friend. You are changing the life of a child...one that will remember you for the rest of his/her life. You are an important influence in the life of someone else; someone who will grow up to make a difference in the world. It may only be a small difference or it could be huge, who knows. The point is, you were a part of it.

The second year does get better and each year after that. You learn, you grow, and you mature, just like in life. Sure, you will make mistakes, the best teachers always do. But, you learn from that and try to make it better the next time.

I have been teaching for 6 years and love every minute of it. Yes, I look forward to Friday afternoons but we all do, I think. That does not mean that I love my job any less or my students any less. That just means that I need a break like anyone else. However, I don't think I could picture myself doing anything else.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 3, 2007

Too clever for my own good: the story of my life (insert here melodramatic sigh).

Seriously, it's good to have the likes of you and CmsTigerGuy aboard.

17. ThinkOutLoud

ThinkOutLoud Rookie

Feb 6, 2007

linall, hang in there ;) As time progresses, you'll find new and better ways of doing things more efficiently and effectively. I know this feeling well and really feel for you ;) There's so many things you can do to get a better grip on things in this first year - simple stress relief and better management skills will go a long way to help.
    HOpe things improve soon,

ThinkOutLoud xox
    PS. In my travels I've been lucky to aquire these resources, hope they're of great help to you ;)
    www.classroom-management.org/free1NDC.html
    http://nicoledc.frusteach.hop.clickbank.net/