World War 1 MC test ??

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by deedee, Nov 4, 2008.

1. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2008

Does anyone have a MC test on world war one? I am making one right now but need a few more questions and I would love to see someone elses test :)

oh I am working with 11th and 12th graders

Thanks
    deedee

3. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Nov 11, 2008

If your having trouble making up a multiple choice one, why not have them do an in class essay?

I always give them the easiest possible topic for in class essays since time is limited. Two years ago (when I taught US), I did "It's often said that the events leading to WWI built off of one another. Support this conception by explaining the causes of WWI and the effects of each cause." Or something generic like that.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 11, 2008

Unless it is an AP class I would stay away from all m/c. Why not try some short answers or essays. The causes of World War I would be a great essay. May be you could do a DBQ?

5. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Nov 11, 2008

A DBQ would be a great way to go! Good idea Brendan.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 11, 2008

But that would require you having to teach them how to write a DBQ before hand, which is difficult for some students. My AP kids this year are having a tough time with it. Usually my AP kids do better on those than the regular essays. They have only done one so far and it was on a tough topic, so we'll have to see.

7. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Nov 12, 2008

I'm grateful, they're exposed early on to DBQs. They begin learning them in 7th grade (sometimes before, depending on the teacher). So by 9th/10th grade, all I have to do is teach them the AP World way (of adding the extra document, grouping, etc.)

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 12, 2008

We as a department get into this argument when to teach them. In Middle School, the teachers argue that many of their kids will never take AP so why bother with DBQs, I agree to an extent, but what about the kids who will take AP. We have so much trouble actually teaching these kids to write in grade 9 and 10 that we simply do no not have the time to teach the "art" of writing DBQs.

9. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Nov 12, 2008

Well even if they will never have a formal state or AP assessment, it never hurts to know how to analyze text, pictures, etc. And it definitely increases critical thinking which is used in every subject.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 12, 2008

I agree totally. The kids I teach learn DBQs, my colleagues however, do not value this skill. Our Social Studies department is charged with completing a research paper in grades 7-12 and the teachers seem overwhelmed with teaching those skills, especially to the CP kids.

11. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Nov 12, 2008

I know what you mean! My dept. had a stroke when they learned we weren't purchasing the guided reading worksheets for our text (only the tests, which SUCK btw). And since the text doesn't focus on DBQs, neither do they! --- Sorry for the hijack OP

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 12, 2008

I don't even know where are guided reading worksheets are. I make my own! I hate the premade ones from our text.

13. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Nov 12, 2008

Me too! Well they're mandatory in my class if students are achieving below a 75 the first quarter at any given time, 80 the second, and 85/85 the 3rd/4th.

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 12, 2008

Your guided reading sheets or the books?

15. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Nov 12, 2008

Well I don't use guided reading sheets in class (I give a whole series of mini projects to do with textbook readings--a point system if you will), so I use the books (for the most part, but I do have some of my own for the important chapters).

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 12, 2008

Okay, I see. I don't use the textbook much for readings, we create our own readings from other textbooks, websites, research, etc. as a department. SO then I have to create guided reading worksheets for those. My textbook is used as a reading source when I like the chapters, but I do not plan my class around the textbook, I tailor the textbook to my class. (I DO NOT give chapter tests or section quizzes.) I give unit tests which include readings and chapters from the text. Anyways, I would love to hear about these projects.