World Trade Center movie

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by ChristyF, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 31, 2006

I saw the commercial for this last night and couldn't believe that they were really saying that was the title. Today I read that while many family members of those who died are supporting the movie, others aren't. Oliver Stone made the movie and said one firefighter widow in particular is completely opposed to the movie, but he said, "I can understand why she would be upset; this goes on in movies a lot but you have to do these things sometimes because they're important. It's a healthy movie, a clean movie. It doesn't offend. It can hurt, it can be hard to go through, you can cry but I think you'll come out cleaned and healed. There's something to be said about facing the fears, confronting them, demythologizing them." I just can't imagine watching this movie, not now, I don't know if ever. I would have to admit, though, that I would feel better about it if the profits were going to family members, not in his pocket.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2006

Christy I agree with you about the profits! I really don't think I can watch this movie. I think there has been enough documentations about 911 so that anyone wanting to know about it can watch them. Why make a for profit movie about something so terrible?

4. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

As the wife of a firefighter, I can promise that we will see this movie. It shows and honors many great people and portrays so many heros! BUT....it will, without any doubt, be so very hard to watch! I think it's time for this movie. I think it's time for another reminder of how we as Americans need to stick together and have a strong sense of pride in our country. Remember shortly after 9/11 there was more pride in our country than there had ever been, and I don't think people have forgotten it, but I think people are not as upfront about it now. I think this movie will be a great tribute to our country and the many men and women who serve our communities/country.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

I personallly will not watch it.

I remember that day too vividly, wondering who we knew who was affected. Talking the next day to a friend's sister who walked down 40+ flights of stairs to escape the Trade Center before it collapsed. The eerie silence from all the planes NOT flying overhead.

I personallly choose not to relive something that had me in tear each time I read the papers for a good six weeks as they printed a short bio of each of the victims.

I think it's important that the movie be made, and that it be made right. I just have no interest in seeing it.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 31, 2006

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with people wanting to watch the movie, I just know me, I get emotional very easily and I honestly don't think I could make it through the movie. (I can still see those images so vividly in my mind.)
    They still play this tribute on the radio around here, I'd say a couple of times a month. It still brings me to tears.
    God said "I Was Everywhere That Day."

You say you will never forget where you were
    when you heard the news on September 11, 2001.
    Neither will I.

I was on the 110th floor in a smoke filled room
    with a man who called his wife to say "Good-Bye."
    I held his fingers steady as he dialed.
    I gave him the peace to say,
    "Honey, I am not going to make it, but it is OK... I am ready to go."

I was with his wife when he called
    as she fed breakfast to their children.
    I held her up as she tried to understand his words
    and as she realized he wasn't coming home that night.

I was in the stairwell of the 23rd floor
    when a woman cried out to Me for help.
    "I have been knocking on the door of your heart for 50 years!" I said.

"Of course I will show you the way home - only believe in Me now."

I was at the base of the building
    with the Priest ministering to the injured and devastated souls.
    I took him home to tend to his Flock in Heaven.
    He heard my voice and answered.

I was on all four of those planes,
    in every seat, with every prayer.
    I was with the crew as they were overtaken.
    I was in the very hearts of the believers there,
    comforting and assuring them that their faith had saved them.

I was in Texas, Kansas, London.
    I was standing next to you when you heard the terrible news.
    Did you sense Me?

I want you to know that I saw every face.
    I knew every name - though not all knew Me.
    Some met Me for the first time on the 86th floor.
    Some sought Me with their last breath.
    Some couldn't hear Me calling to them through the smoke and flames;
    "Come to Me... this way... take my hand."
    Some chose, for the final time, to ignore Me.
    But, I was there.

I did not place you in the Tower that day.
    You may not know why, but I do.
    However, if you were there in that explosive moment in time,
    would you have reached for Me?

September 11, 2001 was not the end of the journey for you.
    But someday your journey will end.
    And I will be there for you as well.

Seek Me now while I may be found.
    Then, when at any moment, you know you are "ready to go."

I will be in the stairwell of your final moments.

God

(They're even selling cds of the tribute now $6 for the single) http://www.metinthestairwell.com/store/store1.asp

7. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

If I do need to see something, it will be a documentary, not fiction. With fictionalization, even for dramatic purposes, invites such sacred moments to become trite. Such things should remain only in its violent, shocking, obscene truth, never commersialized.

There is already too much fiction surrounding this. No more.

8. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jul 31, 2006

It was the same way with United Flight 93 too.

Well, if money goes towards the victims families like the last one did or towards NYC in some capacity then I'll be happy considering the President and many members of Congress wound up taking back all the 9/11 aide money they gave to NYC so they could use it to fund Bush's private war in Iraq, which only goes to show where their true priorities lie. I think it's great to come to the aide of those outside our borders, but we have many people here that we need to be taking care of. IMHO, we worry too much about foreigners than we do our own citizens.

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 31, 2006

I am pretty sure a few months ago I read that one of the firefighters which the movie is based on is alive and he is making money off this which is upsetting some of the families. I am from NJ not far from where everything happened. I still remember where I was and how the communities around me were effected.

10. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

I still have a hard time with 9/11 being from NY myself. I don't know if anyone saw it, but I even had a hard time watching the HBO special about the baseball season and the NY Yankees. I don't know if or even when I will be ready to re-live those days. It won't matter if its a movie, a documentary, or even a book. I can't do it just yet.

But everyone is different, and that is ok. Things affect us in different ways, and there is no judgement for one person who can or cannot watch something. I do know that it is something we will never forget.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2006

That is quite a blanket statement and I think it is important to get ALL of the facts straight before posting something like that, no matter what your political views may be.

12. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Aug 1, 2006

I won't see it for the same reasons as listed above. I also didn't see the United 93. I really just don't think they should make the movies in our lifetime. Those movied need to be saved for the people who didn't live through 9/11, just like most other historical movies we watch. No one that lived through 9/11 needs a "reminder" only 5 years later. I always worry about where the money goes as well. They'll probably say "some of the profit" will go to the families, but who knows.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2006

AGain, I have no intentions of seeing it, for purely personal reasons.

But if they are going to do it at all, I think it makes sense to do it while the survivors are still around to be interviewed.

14. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Aug 1, 2006

I see your point. I guess I don't necessarily mean completely out of our lifetime, but like what they've done with movies about the Vietnam War or movies about Pearl Harbor. Movies like Saving Private Ryan and Pearl Harbor and oh gosh there are several of them. They didn't wait just 5 years to film (two!) movies on these very difficult times. It just seems like it's not going to stop here, with this second movie. Next year I fear there will be yet another movie based off of 9/11, and so on and so forth.

15. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2006

I want to see it but only at home and probably by myself.

16. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

If I am not mistaken there were four 9/11 movies in the works. All of them to be released between 06-07.

Not sure what the other two are going to be about though.

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2006

Actually, I'd be pretty happy for him then. Everyone gets some profit when a movie is made about them. He went through a lot too, he deserves the money he gets, in my opinion.

I don't know if I'll see it. I get too emotional too. I am not against the making of it though. It's Hollywood, they make movies, it's what they do. There's a movie for everything.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

I plan to see it, but because I want to hear the story of the two guys. I cried a lot that day and will cry a lot in memory of the people who died, and I too am an emotional person...but I will be there to see it. I'll just have a box of tissues with me.

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2006

I wasn't going to see this movie because I thought it was just going to be like watching CNN that day for hours on end just wondering what the heck was going on. However I had some time to kill today and thought heck I'll go to the movies. I ended up seeing it and I thought it was done tastefully. I am not from NY and I do live in a large city and it is scary still sometimes being in tall buildings such as the Sears Tower or going on the subway but we do have to go on and LIVE our lives. I thought it was nice that the movie showed the story of two men and their families. I wouldn't say I "enjoyed it" I do not think it was a film that was meant to be enjoyed. However I was reluctant to see it but I was glad I did.

20. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2006

On the other hand.... I too, am a firefighter's wife. We will not go to see this movie. I agree with the posts about the profits. If all profits were to benefits the widows and families, then maybe--but doubtful.
    I know every day my husband goes to work, it could be his last.Although what he does is heroic, it is very dangerous. I don't need to be reminded of it any more than I already am. He doesn't need to see firefighters dying--even actors. It's too real.:(

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2006

I was watching the commercials yesterday, and thinking: If only this were fiction, it would be a movie I would really want to see! It looks great!

But this one hits too close to home for me.

22. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

Friends of the family in the same town I live in, lost their son and both Son in Laws......... I want to see it, but may just wait till I am in the privacy of my own home... I'll be a mess.

23. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2006

I think this was a good "review" I read. He also kind of puts an interesting spin on the profits thing--- like I didn't think about this (but it was a DUH moment) CNN, MSNBC etc are all "for profit" and those are our news sources....Not totally sure what the first bits of mumbo jumbo are about but the "meat" of the review is good...

Too Soon?
    Nicolas Cage and Michael Pena star as two real-life Port Authority officers in "World Trade Center." courtesy of Paramount "World Trade Center" could also serve as an apt Public Service Announcement for the use of helmets.
    Mike WardRichmond.com Wednesday, August 09, 2006
    Only one thing would have made "World Trade Center" better - having Ann Coulter next to me being forced to watch the new Oliver Stone Sept. 11 dirge in its entirety with her eyelids taped back and her hands shackled to the seat - a la Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange."
    You might remember how the conservative author and fashionably long-legged hate monger accused Sept. 11 widows of enjoying their husbands' deaths in her new book, "Godless: The Church of Liberalism."
    Try saying that again after watching "World Trade Center," Ms. Coulter. I dare you.
    Here's the thing about "World Trade Center," which follows the against-the-odds survival story of two New York Port Authority cops trapped under the rubble of the our decapitated landmarks. As much as the scenes in which these two cops - John McLoughlin (Nicolas Cage) and Will Jimeno (Michael Pena) - are simultaneously jarring and inspiring, it's the story of their two wives watching and waiting without knowing whether or not their husbands are dead or alive that's an even more gripping and ultimately cathartic experience.
    Stone, who has had a love affair with controversial historical recreations, had long ago assured audiences that "World Trade Center" was not a money-grabbing exploitation, and just five minutes into the movie, you know that he's telling the truth. Plus, with an ever-widening offshoot of academics and crackpots still suggesting that triggered detonations - and not planes - took down the World Trade Center, you just know that Stone must have at least been tempted to explore this minefield.
    As for those who say that a Sept. 11 movie is too soon… Well, first off, you should see the movie and realize that it's not a story of death and politics, but a story of hope and survival - a story with such exacting parallels to the true events that the real-life cops who collaborated with Stone have given the film their blessing. If anyone has room to complain, shouldn't it be them, who lost dozens of officers that they worked with and joked on every day? And two, who's to say that a movie about a tragedy just five years out is an exploitation of said tragedy merely because of the timeframe? After all, network and cable news operations are also for-profit ventures and they were broadcasting the grisly images five minutes after they happened, often times spewing forth misinformation along the way.
    My point is this: the previously released "United 93" and "World Trade Center" are two of the most respectful movies depicting real-life tragedies, perhaps ever. They're so similar in this vein yet so different. "United 93" uses a chilling documentary style to make a best guess at the heroic events that transpired on the nearly forgotten-about plane that crashed in a field in Pennsylvania. "World Trade Center" may not posses the same surreal empathic effect (it's close), but Stone is a brilliant filmmaker and the haunting images he creates here are among his best.
    "World Trade Center" also boosts a bit more star power than "United 93," which effectively used nearly anonymous actors, many who were air traffic controllers working on Sept. 11. Joining Cage and "Crash's" Pena are Maria Bello and Maggie Gyllenhaal, who play the cops' wives. The five-month pregnant Allison (Gyllenhaal) manages to remain the only cool one as her dozens of friends and relatives anxiously gather in front of the TV waiting for word on her husband. And Donna (Bello) braces for the worst with her four children while reminiscing back on a marriage of shining moments and mediocrity.
    Meanwhile, cops John and Will are trapped under an unsteady quagmire of concrete, soot and metal. Battered and dehydrated, they exchange everything from mindless banter to childhood anecdotes and news of their own kids while they try to stay awake through the ever-numbing pain. And here's the rub - no one even knows where they are until a determined former Marine from Connecticut comes down to NYC to search through the rubble by the light of the moon, while all other rescue workers are sidelined for fear of further collapse. This impossible-to-believe part of the story is true, even though throughout test screenings audiences said that it was entirely implausible.
    Few endings could be so happy and sad at the same time. While the story of John and Will has been extensively reported on, you still may not know it, so I won't ruin it.
    Just know this: if "World Trade Center" really is too soon for you, then don't see it. It's so simple. Just don't ruin it for the rest of us, who choose to remember each and every day - and don't go out of your way to hold open any doors for Ann Coulter.
    "World Trade Center" (125 minutes) is rated PG-13 and is now playing nationwide.

http://www.richmond.com/ae/output.aspx?Article_ID=4370866&Vertical_ID=127&tier=1&position=1

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

Thanks for sharing! :) I saw a preview of it during Rescue Me on Tuesday night...I had the chills but I really want to see it. I understand everyone's reasons for not wanting to see it, but I think I'll be there...whether at the movies or waiting for the video. I'll just have Kleenex closeby.

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

I won't be going. Why watch something so violent and disturbing? Healing? No, for me it's disturbing. Appreciation of the "heroes?" No, I already know about the heroes. Entertainment? Not my idea of a night out to the movies. I am totally in the dark as to why people watch movies like this. Does anyone really feel inspired or healed by watching tragedy and suffering? I don't. I think it's sick and has no place for anyone ... it's strictly Hollywood and those who go are following their lead. I will not fall for their trap. I mean really, why would anyone decide to spend their afternoon or evening crying about such a horrible thing? My time is better spent elsewhere and so is my money.

26. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2006

The way it was done you really don't see much violence. It is fine that you have no desire to see that. I respect that. However making a statement
    such as this says that you think I AM wrong for viewing it. If you shut yourself off from CNN, MSNBC and all other news sources than fine. Otherwise you support buisnesses that are being paid to show the same thing that the movie showed. Though the movie was done much more tastefully than CNN. There was not really any violence shown in the film. You never see the planes crash, you don't watch the buildings fall, you see the story from the perspective of two people who were heros in the movie.

27. thelonius

thelonius Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

This film will bring back terrible memories, but I will still see it. Sure, it's violent and disturbing, but the fact of the matter is that it really happened -- right in our own backyard. What took place in lower Manhattan seemed like a gruesome scene from a horror movie... the only thing was that this was real, and it should not be forgotten.

I happened to be driving south on Lexington Ave. on that morning of Sept. 11, hustling and bustling through rubbernecking traffic as I always have whenever I'm there. As a grad student at that time, I just finished meeting with my study group for our project and an upcoming quiz. While I did not see the towers collapse, I witnessed the chaos and distress that it created, and that was more than enough for me. I saw a thick black smoke and debris coming out of lower Manhattan -- as if a volcano just erupted there -- with traces of it headed towards my direction. People littered the streets, running in different directions, and I knew that something was not right. As I worked my way through the traffic to get out of Manhattan, I was speechless at the scene of people walking in one single direction -- most were still in their office clothing and three-piece suits -- they were like refugees fleeing a war-ravaged region. Public transportation was put to a halt, and cell phones weren't working at that time. It took me over two hours to finally cross the Queensboro Bridge, and as I drove through Queens Blvd., I began to ask people who needed a ride to Flushing. I picked up two men and one woman as I headed for home... I later saw the carnage on television as the planes crashed onto the buildings, and the collapse that followed afterwards.

Despite what I witnessed, I will still see it ...

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2006

You're a much stronger person than I am, then.

29. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 10, 2006

I do not plan on seeing this movie. I can still hear and picture the numerous army helicoptors flying overhead. Many of the NYC firefighters and policemen lived in the town I taught in. I thus heard many stories from students whose parents were in NYC at the time. Fortunately none were killed. But my hometown suffered 5 losses, including Todd Beamer the passenger on the plane over Pennsylvania who orchestrated the "let's go". There is a beautiful memorial in my town honoring the 5 fallen people. That is my movie.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2006

I still haven't gotten to the memorial for one of my students who died on TWA flight 800 over Long Island 10 years ago... and it's down the block from my sister's house!!

I'm one of those people who cries at Hallmark commercials.

31. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 10, 2006

Of course he's getting money off it. It's a movie about him!

It shouldn't be about him getting money IMO. It should be about how he chooses to use the money. If he gives abck in some way to 9/11 in part or in full then what's so bad about it?

Actually, I did get my facts straight BEFORE posting that and it's true. This was in the news (a lot) and I even have friends in NY who confirmed that it was truth.

The President and many members of Congress DID takeback all the 9/11 aide money they gave to NYC so they could use it to fund Bush's private war in Iraq and the NY Senators and Reps were furious about it. Just furious. I remember they tried to do what they could to keep it from ultimately happening, but, in the end, it was taken back.

Not to mention, there's cities out there getting quite a bit of money to keep terrorist attacks from happening when they really don't need to be getting it. IMHO, NY and other large cities like Chicago should be getting that money, especially NY given their history with terrorist attacks.

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

As the originator of this post, I'm closing it. I don't want to start a political argument. I think choosing to watch or not is a personal decision and everyone is entitled to make that decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.