World History -6th Grade Social Studies

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by sweetlatina23, Jul 6, 2010.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 6, 2010

I have been teaching 6th grade for four years now, and I myself need a change in my daily routine. On a weekly basis I request that the students do current events, this ensures me that they are reading (at least I hope they are) and that they at least know something about what is going on around the world. That i the only thing I do not want to change, at the beginning of classs the first 5 minutes the groups come up and tell us what they learned from their article. For example, group 1 is on monday and every monday they know that they are C.E. due. Any suggestions to that?

As for my regular class, we read as a class. In my book lesson 1 normally talks about the geography of the place we are discussing. It goes into talk about the land, weather, bodies of water, etc. Every now and again I have the students draw the map as an assignment and label it. The other lessons goes in and talks about the people, history, and how its changed. In a week we have a whole group discussion at least 2-3 times and then they have questions to go along with it. If they paid attention in class during our discussion ( i use a beach ball to catch their attention) then they will do just fine on the questions. About every other chapter they have a 3d project to do, for example one of their projects is to build a pyramid with details ...or a model of Catal Huyuk.

I do not have a curriculum since I am teaching at a private school, as long as we use the book and the students are understanding our principal doesnt mind. We don't take the TAKS which is the Texas standarized test, my students take one called the IOWA (yet im from TX) and they take it in Septemer, which doesnt give me much time to work with them.

I am simply looking for ideas, suggestions, anything that can help. I don't want to bore my students. I have had many compliments, but I think I am getting bored of my own routine. I teach s.s everyday and i have my students for 50min..

Ideas ? Thanks!:confused:

3. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 6, 2010

Have you ever used menus? There's a great book that I pull my social studies menus from - Differentiating Instruction with Menus: Social Studies by Laurie E. Westphal. There are also books for other subjects as well (I also use some of those menus). My students loved menus last year!

I totally understand wanting to give a new energy to your classroom. For me, it's teaching Ancient Civilizations that I want to change. I would love to continue where 5th grade leaves off with American History. There's just so much more history to learn about our own country since 5th grade is lucky to finish the Civil War.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 6, 2010

I know I would love to teach 5th grade S.S., the teacher who is in 5th grade doesn't do a whole lot with the students. She is self contained so they work more on language arts and math. I wish they would switch so that I could teach them everything there is to know. As for Menus I had never heard of that. I saw a few sample pages of her book, I think I might invest in that it sounds very interesting. I have also heard of interactive notebooks, I am not quiet sure how the whole number system works with it. I believe the students receive points instead of a grade for each assignment they do. It keeps the kids activetly engaged.

Thanks!

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2010

Here's a great link to Choice Boards - scroll down to find Social Studies. And be sure to click on the additional links at the end.

http://daretodifferentiate.wikispaces.com/Choice+Boards

You can modify these Choice Boards to fit almost every era of History.

I teach World History at the High School and LOVE what I teach espcially Ancient History.

6. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 8, 2010

thank you!