World Civilization Lesson Plan Ideas?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by megawinn, Jan 2, 2012.

1. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Jan 2, 2012

This is my second year teaching both World Civilization and AP U.S. History. Last year I felt overwhelmed by the APUSH and it took up most of my time planning.

This year I feel like I am much more prepared for the AP classes and I am really enjoying them. I feel like a good teacher and am hopeful that they will do well on the exam at the end of the year. It feels great to be successful.

I also teach World Civilization to ninth graders who simply don't care about history. I remember being their age and not really caring either. I feel like most of my lessons are okay and that they are at least learning most of the information presented to them.

However, I feel like my lessons are boring. I'm feeling way burned out and hitting a wall in the middle of the year. I love teaching when I feel like I am presenting the information in a unique and interesting way. I do not enjoy my job if I feel like I am being boring.

I also struggle with the 85 miunutes class periods. That is a very long time to keep the students' attention and I have a hard time thinking of class activities to fil the time.

Do any of you veteran or brand new teachers habe any advice or suggestions?

I would really appreciate it.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2012

Have you tried any simulations with your students? We teach Ancient World Civilizations to our sixth graders. When we start the year, we look at a basic map of Mesopotamia and have students choose where they would start their civilization. Then they need to support their answer using research from the text.

As the year progresses, the simulation grows with the kids. We do some role playing with Athenas and Sparta. We have a simulation to show feudal life and one to show the black death. We play a game for Medieval Age.

4. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Jan 3, 2012

Thanks! That's a great idea. I will try that in an upcoming unit.

One of the things I like to do after direct instruction or a class discussion is an activity where the students create something. For example, after learning about Genghis Khan, the students created a political cartoon in favor of him and against him. I have also had them create propaganda for political leaders or my favorite, a pretend facebook page (just on Microsoft Word) for a monarch of their choosing.

Not all of the ideas I use are art related. Sometimes I will have the students write a journal entry from the perspective ofsomeone we have studied or a newspaper article.

I feel like I am running out of ideas. I keep telling myself that it is okay to repeat something. They can write another journal entry even though they have done that before. I just really want to keep things different.

Does anyone have more simple activities similar to the ones I decsribed? I'm talking about ones that could be plugged into several different topics and lessons to help students remember the information presented. I hope this post made snese. :)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2012

My students love debates. We use a discussion web worksheet with pros on one side and cons on the other. The students conclusion goes on the bottom. Then we have a class debate.

Look into RAFTS. I love to use these with my students. It's a quick easy writing project but students might write from the role of the Nile River or a pyramid.

We make advertisements to convince others to trade with the civilization.

I use the book Applications of Reading Strategies within the Classroom by Frank, Grossi, and Stanfield.