workshop with little time

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missidy, Jul 18, 2010.

1. missidy

missidy Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

There are many current threads about workshops for math and reading/writing, and i'm very eager to try....I've read Daily 5 and CAFE and have some information on math workshops. BUT I literally have 45 minutes of math a day and 45 minutes of English (reading and writing) so I really struggle with fitting it all in. With my English there's a basal I must follow which includes activities for reading and writing (ex: monday reading comp, tues grammar, wed and thurs story writing, fri grammar). I've heard of people doing Daily 3, and I did do a modified version of this last year. I just feel like I'm sneaking/stealing time from time-slotted subjects I'm not allowed to steal, so I can do a decent workshop. I don't have time for anything!!! It's sooooooooo frustrating. Never thought I'd say I have too may preps/specials!

-Is it reasonable to do workshop-type lessons in 45 min?
    -What do you think about doing a workshop lesson only once or twice a week due to time?

Please help!

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

I'm actually going to be posting about this on my blog next week so I'll post back here when it's finished, but...

I do both math and language arts workshops (using Daily 5) to execute my mandated curriculum. I just turn the lessons from Treasures into my mini-lessons.

It is more feasible to do 3, but that depends on your schedule. I do 3 as a workshop and the other 2 whole class.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

What is your class doing the rest of the day? It seems like 1 1/2 hours for reading, writing, grammar, and math is way too short. How are students going to progress without time to practice and use the skills?! Might you be able to trim down time from other parts of your day to use for English?

I think a Daily 3 would be doable. I do short guided reading group lessons (20 minutes)... I have a template if you are interested. It hits a lot of reading skills, without taking up too much time!

5. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

UVAgrl- If you don't mind I would love to see your template!

6. missidy

missidy Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

During the day is science or social studies, religion, and then one or two of the following each day: music, phys ed, computers, art, and TWO languages. So only one 45 minute session of each math and English. The day is too busy! The children are getting bredth but....
    I do English standards during science and social studies, but I'm not sure if I could pull off a workshop.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 19, 2010

That's far too much to fit in for these kids, especially with a basal that you have to follow. Wow!

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

I am not sure if you have heard of Jan Richardson, but she is really big in our county. I use her lesson plan format. For DRAs 5-16 she has a 2 day lesson plan template, and for DRA 17-30 it is a 3 day lesson plan. It's awesome to be getting through an entire story in two or three days! That means my lower groups are getting in two stories a week... the more exposure to print and strategies, the better!

It has an intro to the story, intro for vocab, reading (working on decoding, fluency, and comprehension strategies), discussion, sight word work, word work, and guided writing! At first it seems overwhelming, and impossible to accomplish in 20 minutes, but now I barely even have to look at the clock because I know automatically when I need to move on. My students progressed so much better than last year using this plan. I had one student start at a DRA 4 and end the year at a 34! I was so impressed by the effectiveness of this reading instruction.

If you would like me to send you the copies of the plans, send me a PM with your email, and I will send them. If you have any questions, let me know... because I know when I first looked at them I wanted to cry because I was overwhelmed. But once you understand them, they are great!

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

Is there any flexibility in your schedule with content? I know that we teach a unit of science, then switch to a unit on social studies. So we don't do both daily. This could free up some additional time for reading and math... which in my opinion, are more important for early elementary!