Workshop, heard of it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by soleil00, Jun 22, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 22, 2011

When I was student teaching, one of the teachers I worked under used a "workshop" that she learned about during her teaching time at a Catholic school. She kind of explained it to me and basically all I got out of it was that it was created by a Catholic nun who believed that students learn better when they learned at their own pace.

The whole set up of the "workshop" (what she called it) is there are 10 stations with worksheets in them. When the students finish their regular work, instead of asking what to do next or sitting there idly, they would start on Workshop #1 on their own time. As they finished #1, they would go onto #2 and so forth.

Every day she would switch out the papers (other than the handwriting practice sheets) and her students basically got every single subject through the workshop.

So has anyone heard of this to where I can Google it and read more about it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2011

My school follows a reading and writing workshop model, but it's NOTHING like what you explained. What you are describing does NOT sound current, differentiated or what's in the best interests of diverse learners.:sorry:

4. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 22, 2011

It probably is very out dated, that's probably why I couldn't find anything on the internet!

I think it could work better than it did with her if it was tweaked... a lot, at least from what I could see. If I could just find more information lol

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2011

If you want a REAL workshop model, that schools will understand and want, google: Lucy Calkins units of study,Columbia reading and writing project, reading workshop, writing workshop.:2cents:

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2011

I use both reading and writing workshop in my classroom. However, I have something similar to what you are talking about for math...I call it challenge work. Basically, students work on the math skills, but if a student is ready for more challenging work, I have a bin with these skills set up for students to always have something to work on. But this is not their main instruction.

7. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 22, 2011

This IS outdated, and just busy work. Work stations(Debbie Diller) or
    Daily Five"The Sisters" would be more appropriate.

8. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 22, 2011

Well that's nice to know :rolleyes: since she was using this as her sole-teaching practice. I was with her for 3 days and she taught maybe 10-15 minutes each day.

I'll go look up the ones yall have suggested. I would like something like this, that's not outdated or just busy work.

:thanks:

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2011

Teaching 15 minutes per day?:dizzy:

10. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 22, 2011

http://www.workshopway.org/default.asp?Parent=5&Child=5

I think you are referring to the Workshop Way. :) I don't think the tch. you observed was utilizing it properly. Many years ago when I taught in a rural K-3 grade classroom, I used a modified version of it to help keep my students engaged while I was busy with various grade level instruction groups. It has a lot of good components, if used correctly. :) I hadn't heard...or thought about it..in quite awhile, but did find the above website. :)

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 23, 2011

I am not familiar with what you have described.