Worksheets

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cdowdell, Oct 12, 2007.

1. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

Oct 12, 2007

I feel like I'm doing way to many worksheets....what is wrong w/ me? I always said I would be a more hands on teacher and that is what children need. What is your opinon on worksheets?

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 12, 2007

I don't use them all that much but sometimes I think they serve a good purpose. Today for example I introduced syllables and tapping them out. We did a group lesson for this. Then the children went back to their tables and they had to cut out 12 pictures and place them as 1,2, or 3 syllable words. As they worked, I walked around and helped. I think this was a good worksheet for them. Some got almost all correct and some had no idea how to hear the syllables (did you know boy can be stretched out with so many o's it has 4 syllables?!!).

I wouldn't say I do a lot of worksheets but they are definitely something I use. Another thing about worksheets is that when they're sent home the parents can see what their child is doing at school. Obviously this can be accomplished through methods other than worksheets, just mentioning it as a good thing about worksheets.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2007

Worksheets are a part of the teaching/learning process. If I teach something, I need them to be able to practice it with a worksheet. Then, later, I'll have them apply it. Our S.S. workbooks won't be ordered this year so we have to run xeroxes of the pages from one master workbook. Those are the worksheets I use. My reading series comes with workbooks and we use the pages all the time.
    It's true that parents like to see worksheets and workbook pages.

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Oct 12, 2007

I use some worksheets if I think they provide valuable practice and for data. I am VERY data driven and I like to have evidence other than just observations. They serve a purpose, but should not be overdone.

6. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 12, 2007

We do handwriting worksheets for morning work. We also have workbooks for reading and writing. We use lined and plain paper for some work as well.

7. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 12, 2007

Like everything else in teaching (and life) it's about balance. Worksheets per se aren't a bad thing. They can provide practice, feedback etc. They can also be mistaken for teaching and learning.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 12, 2007

I don't mind worksheets and strongly believe they have a place but sometimes I think we are too worksheet driven. I only have my 2 centers to worry about though. For word study I only have worksheets on Wednesday. The rest of the week I do more interactive things.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 12, 2007

Are children really ready for worksheets? At age five, some will, and some won't. And that is the problem for classroom teachers. I would observe the children and decide developmental level. Review Piaget and them decide how many should be doing worksheets.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 12, 2007

Mine are first grade.

11. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 12, 2007

I agree that worksheets can be a helpful tool when balanced correctly with other interactive activities and lessons. Worksheets are also a great assessment tool and a solid way to show parents (most of the time) how their child is doing in school, both through work they take home and any work kept in their portfolio that is brought out at conferences.

In addition, I believe that worksheets are a great way for students to practice concepts we've already visited through interactive and hands-on activities. It is fun for students to write their names in shaving cream, but they get more productive practice in less time on a worksheet...I always hope I am finding the correct balance between the two.

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 14, 2007

I do not use worksheets, I feel that any time spent on worksheets is just busy work and wasted time, we have no time to waste in our jam packed day, our time could be better spent with hands on learning activities. Food for thought: No More Worksheets Also, comparing the amount of worksheets done in a 4th grade classroom to that of a kindergarten room is like comparing apples to oranges, older children are more developmentally ready to profit from using worksheets occasionally, the two are completely different and cannot be compared.

13. teach_kids

teach_kids Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

I agree with OZTEACH... it's all about balance. I use worksheets mostly to send home for homework more as a review of what we learned that week. I also have started lamenating some worksheets and putting them in a binder called "what do I do now...?" For students who are finished working and aren't sure what to do until the next activity. This way they can do them on their own and then wipe off the answers to be done another time. I am pretty sure that is an idea I got for this forum but I don't remember who... whomever it was - THANKS!

14. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Oct 16, 2007

I agree!

15. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Oct 16, 2007

I teach 5th and do not utilize worksheets very often, The few copies I make are of math tests and end-of-story reading tests and I am transitioning towards cutting the reading tests in half and having students answer some questions in essay form.

I do make a few copies for history pocket activities but I consider them templates or instructional.

My students have 5 reading activities, 5 spelling activities and 10comprehension questions that correspond with each weeks reading story but they are not completed through the use of worksheets, however, the instructions are on a double sided sheet.

I guess it depends on how a person defines worksheets. Even handwriting practice is done on their own paper.