Worksheets....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherApr, Jul 24, 2010.

1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

I"ve seen several posts where people talk about worksheets. Either teaching with them or having them as "busy work" if a student is finished early.

My question is this. Do you provide a lot of worksheets for students? What does your principal think about this? Is there a copier issue?

I'm only asking because first there was a "paper issue" at my school even though 90% of us knew it was because of ONE teacher. That teacher left but the "paper issue" continued to fester. THEN, it was a "toner issue" and "wearing of the copy machine issue" I understand not copying 24/7 but there are some things that just NEED to be made. I feel bad at the beginning of the year making bell work packets for my students and I feel I shouldn't.

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

We are given a case of paper that needs to last us the entire semester. It hasn't been a problem for me, but I know other teachers complain that it isn't enough. We have a certain limit of copies on each of the three copy machines. We also have a duplo (i think that's what its called) that we can do 20 masters per semester as well.

4. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

One case! I'd go through that in tests alone!!

My school's copier breaks down often (which is run by a copy person - teachers are not allowed to touch. Though in fairness, our copy person is great). The big district copier takes a week, and often things get lost. Anything over 150 pages goes to the district. I couldn't feel bad, like the OP, about copies at the beginning of the year - ours is always down the first two weeks, which is why I try to get stuff for the first month in over the summer. In fact, I'm dropping stuff off next week. When the copier breaks, then it's trips to Staples. I know I must go through my 250.00 tax credit for teaching in copies made at Staples alone!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2010

I have a full size copy machine and a laser printer in my classroom. (I have to copy IEP's) The other grade levels have access to the same type of equipment (just not in their rooms). The grade levels are responsible for replacing the toner in their laser printers but the school takes care of the big copiers. Usually we have to buy our own paper but this year the P has given every teacher a case. We have no restrictions on copying. I consider myself very lucky!

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

Oh sorry, our district also has a print shop where we send our tests and a few pre-approved work books to be copied for us. :D

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 24, 2010

Our school does not have a copy machine. Anything I want copied I have to give to our secretary about a week in advance and hope she gets to Kinko's before I need it. I'm going to have to get VERY good at thinking ahead this year!!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2010

I pretty much only copy their math worksheet every day (we used to have workbooks, but not anymore). My teammates assign problems out of the book, but I think it is too messy to grade. So, they write the answers on the worksheet and attach their work.
    Other than that, I typically only copy tests and project info.
    Of course, at the end of the year, when we do our standardized test prep, I make a gazillion copies.

We are allowed 4 copies per student per day. Except for test days, I usually use 1 or none (sometimes I print the math assignment). Then, come mid-April, I jump to 10 or so per day. :eek:

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2010

I would die! I change my mind in the morning frequently, and am running to the copier to copy the new assignment!

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

huh? :unsure:

11. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

Whoops! I had two threads open and I accidentally responded to the wrong one. Sorry about that! Color me embarrassed. :blush:

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2010

I copy very little because all my students have laptops so I use Google Docs and my website for the students to get pages that I would normally copy. I do not provide worksheets for busy work but since my textbook has very few practice problems, I supplement it with worksheets of practice problems.

13. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2010

My students need lots and lots and lots of repetition, using as many senses as possible. Because they need so much repetition, I go through a lot of paper even though I don't assign busy work. We have unlimited copying privileges. I'm very lucky.

14. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

I don't copy much at all except for paperwork (there's a lot of that in ESL). We get 200 copies/month on the copier in the building. We can send out unlimited copies (comes back 1-2 days), but they do hassle us sometimes about the amount of copying/printing we do.

15. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

At the school where I taught for 6 years this became a subject of heated debate amongst faculty and staff! :)

Up until the very last school year, every classroom came with their own printer. Our school is a PreK-8th grade with 3 homerooms per grade. Needless to say, that is a LOT of printers! :lol:

We had a copy machine on the first floor (which upset some of the middle school faculty as they were upstairs) HOWEVER we were extremely blessed to have a "Copy Day Folder."

Every Monday and Wednesday you sent down a copy folder to the office and one of our Admin. Assistants would do your copies FOR YOU!! You'd specify how many copies you'd like (ex. 33 please or 3 sets of 33 if you were copying for your whole team). You usually got your folder back the very next day! This rocked. You could not send down workbooks, so sometimes if I had to make that one single copy for the copy folder, I'd just as soon punch in "33" and wait for the class set.

Back to printers... Our school was lucky and blessed to have 1 printer per class. Last year, on the exact day before school started I walked into my homeroom to put teh finishing touches on my ready classroom. Make sure every desk had the nametag on straight, make sure my first day of school read aloud was ready...

As I walked in the room, something was missing. Where was my printer, which by the way, also doubled as a scanner. I loved the scanner part, as it was hooked up directly to my SmartBoard. It was awesome to be able to, in a pinch, scan a worksheet that the kids were struggling with and have the EXACT copy on the huge smartboard to help them. :)

Hmm... I ran across the hall to my comrade and asked her if her printer was mysteriously missing. She said yes, didn't check your email?! All printers are removed. There is now one printer for the entire faculty to use! It's connected to the copy machine in the downstairs teacher workroom.

This created a LOT of problems. I am not sure if it's because we were all individually spoiled with our own printers. I am not sure if it's because it was the day before the 1st day?

So the first month of school went by with me printing betwen 6:30-7:00 AM. If I got there past 7:00 the delightful Junior High lang. arts teachers was running of mounds upon mounds of paperwork for her classes! She was always so nervous and apologetic looking.

Then I started to notice that I really missed my scanner! So I made an appointment with the principal about if we could just have the printer/scanner back for the purpose of scanning! I hate going to the P. Maybe it's a confidence issue, but I try to avoid unless of course there's an issue with a kid. My own issues though -- not worth going usually.

So I explained verrrrrry kindly about how classes with SmartBoards really NEEDED the scanner as a TEACHING TOOL. She came back with the fact that they removed all printers to save on ink. I calmly informed my principal that a scanner requires no ink! She looked at me and said "Well, then how does it copy it on the SmartBoard." :dizzy::dizzy: So. I took a deep breath and let her know that the machines were a scanner/printer combo and tried to explain to her how a scanner projects an image... how it's like an overhead projector cart of sorts.

Now, almost a year later, I can laugh about this. But at the time I was losing it in my mind. It was 4 PM and I likely had to go to the bathroom, so that didn't help!

She said she'd think about it and let me know. I have always had a wonderful rapport with P so I didnt think it would be an issue. Two weeks later, she emails me all happy to let me know that our technologist just informed her that t he Printer that the whole school uses also has a built in scanner! I can scan any papers on that and the machine will email it to me! Yippee.

So I try that for awhile and deal with the long line of teachers behind me muttering about how they just have to make "one copy" of a test that a kid sneezed all over, etc. while I try to figure out how to input my email address.

After awhile, I stopped going down to scan at 6:15 AM. I really missed the scanner for those moments when I'd want to project a peice of writing on the SmartBoard instantly... or I had accidentally forgot that in previous years a particular worksheet was trouble and it was not scanned and ready to go....

Our P, however, is the type who once she makes her mind up, there's "no negotiation" as she has informed several of my comrades at different times.

Wow, this is a long post -- sorry.

With regard to worksheet copies... It was extremely difficult to make them at my school due to the copier/printer debacle. Our school prides itself on being one of the most technologically advanced in the Archdiocese and it upset many about the printer chaos!

Oh well, can't make everyone happy! :D

One of the kindergarten teachers brought her home printer in and hid it in a cubby. :D That rebel!

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2010

The copier at our school (I am a satellite site) was removed last week for "budget reasons." If I want copies now I have to drive 20 minutes to the next town to the home office, put in the request and come back to retrieve it in a week - sigh! I am one who "needed" it all the time - not because of worksheets but because of creative ideas, etc. I am going to miss it! Back to using my personal copier again - double sigh.

17. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

Starista,

You aren't allowed to bring your own printer with ink from home :confused: I have a scanner and two printers in my classroom. I don't have to print as much because I have an LCD projector. I mainly copy practice sheets and such for homework.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2010

My district doesn't use many 'packaged programs' in terms of basal readers, workbooks, or even textbooks. We use a workshop philosophy in literacy, lots of hands on learning...but yes, we do supplement our work and provide guided practice with worksheets, notebooks, graphic organizers...We had a paraprofessional who worked 1/2 day on copying/office stuff but that position has now been cut so we'll be doing our own copies.

19. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

Hi!

Nope, tried that route too. A scanner/printer combo is relatively cheap these days... so I asked if we could do that and supply our own ink and that got a non-negotiable no!:dizzy:

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2010

I think that copying needs vary from graded to grade and from school to school.

I teach first grade, but we have a basal system with LOTS of workbooks (reading), which one would think would limit the number of copies we need. That being said...

First grade pre-printed materials have LARGE fonts and few items per page, especially in the beginning of the year! This means that we need more pages to accomplish fewer goals! Also, we have no pre-printed materials for science, social studies, health, or handwriting instruction/practice.

I need copies for all of my weekly tests (basal required, but not printed for us, and I customize mine anyway), handwriting practice, poetry notebooks, calendar notebooks, math fact sheets, puzzles, word searches, homework packets, newsletters and notes home, etc., etc.

We are "allotted" 300 copies per month on the copier in the teachers' lounge. That is, when it isn't a) in use, b) broken, or c) out of toner.

We have a Title 1 aide who will make copies if you need 50 or more of each item. Unfortunately, there are only 40 first graders, and she only copies once per week!

We are allowed all of the "purple" ditto copies we want to make, but I HATE them (with a purple passion, lol!). We were given 8 reams of paper over the course of last year. That didn't even cover my reading tests! I supplement by purchasing paper at Office Depot when it is on sale. :)

Our district has a Teacher Resource Center, where we can go and pay for copies of at least 20 copies per original - and it's a great place, and the copies are cheap, but it's not at our school and the hours are limited.

Personally, I supplement the above with my own printer/scanner in the classroom AND at home. The printer at work is an all in one inkjet, and at home I have another all in one and a laser printer.

Sorry - didn't mean for this to be long - copies are a bit of an issue at our school, although there ARE schools at which teachers have NO copy limits!

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2010

We have 2 photocopiers for staff and one reserved for office use. I can't imagine not being able to make the copies I need whenever I need them.

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 25, 2010

YIKES! After hearing some of these stories, I feel very fortunate!

We have a print center for the entire district, where we send in things to be copied. Things come back within 2 working days. If we send documents via email they are returned to us either the same day or the next. There is no limit to how many things we can send to be copied.

We are allowed to make 5 copies per day on our school copy machine. However, many people don't follow this rule and it's really not a big deal. I usually end up making more than that each day-last minute changes in plans, parent notes, etc. We do not have a toner or paper limit-we are just asked to be considerate.

23. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Jul 25, 2010

We have 3 copiers for teachers and 1 for office use. Each classroom has a printer and teacher computers link to the printer in the computer lab. We do not have any limits on copies/ink, but are asked to be considerate. I work at a K-8 school with 2 classes per grade. I copy a lot because we do not have a science text and I often need to supplement science, social studies, and religion grades with more classwork.

24. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

Starista,
    If you can't have a scanner could you brind in a cheap camera? If all you are doing is trying to project a worksheet for the class to see that could work out okay. Or, even better yet, a document camera?

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2010

To help with my copies, I am going to laminate a lot of papers this year in my centers that kids can write on with thin-tipped dry/erase markers. :) I am going to try to get a parent to be in for my two days of Math Workshop every week, for that case.

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

I feel pretty fortunate too. We do have the Print Shop through the district, but we are limited on only sending things from a few specific books from the adopted materials. I looked into it and we get 2500 on the two big machines and 500 on the small one. We also get to make 20 master copies on our duplo machine. These numbers are all per semester. We each have a printer hooked up to our classroom computers. We are given two ink (black) cartridges per year. I occasionally take mine in to be refilled at Walgreens because I do use it a lot.

27. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

Except for the 5 copies per day (I think we're 10 or 20 - can you tell I don't follow this lol), ITA with below. I'm constantly complaining about Print Shop and our horrible copier at school, but at least I don't have any restrictions on my copying - just annoyances. I now feel very fortunate too!

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 25, 2010

My AP knows I'll be living at the riso this year. They didn't fund textbook or materials for the dozens of new electives the district required us to create for this year. So I'll copying A LOT, since much of what my students will need to know involves fairly complex diagrams. Yikes! She's said that this is fine.

29. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

Great ideas! Sadly, the principal does not allow us to project any images on the SmartBoard unless we scan them through the school printer/scanner in the teacher workroom.

However, I am not working at that school next year. Due to several other reasons I was extremely fortunate to secure a teaching job at a different school for the 2010-2011 school year. :) I loved most of my experience at my former school, but it was just time for a change for me. :) Again, I do realize how lucky I am to have found a different position - especially in light of our economy.