Worksheet, ugh

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by RedVac, Apr 20, 2010.

1. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Apr 20, 2010

Okay so at my preschool (3's class) we talk about patterns. We find patterns in our classroom, on our clothing and find pattern games in our manipulative center. After it is introduced we have a 'I can make a pattern' worksheet where the kids can make a pattern with colored shapes. What are your thoughts on this? I read more and more about the downside to worksheets, but I also feel like I need some concrete work from them to demonstrate progress and things to put in their portfolios at the end of the year.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2010

Are you wanting them to copy your pattern or create their own. Either way, you could use stickers, shapes, bingo markers, seeds, beans - just about anything you can think of.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 20, 2010

Hands on is the best way to teach PS. They have to internalize the concept, and do it best by doing it. Try using the PSers to create a boy-girl pattern. As scmom said, use everyday items in your room to create patterns. There are pattern guides where you string the beads to match the chart.

5. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Apr 20, 2010

Make a "nest", using a basket. Put in birds,eggs. Draw different patterns for them to follow on sentence strips.

For Halloween, use a witch's cauldron, fill with eyeballs/spiders/centipedes. Make pattern cards for them to follow.

Take pictures of them doing the activity and put into the "portfolio".

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 21, 2010

OR if you want somerthing else to put in a portfolio...

today I had the kids use bingo markers to make patterns on snakes. A couple of them got it a lot easier than before when they were actually picking up a different color of marker to stamp. This was guided- a LOT- but several of them were getting it at the end.

Or we glue different colored pictures or different items to strips of paper to show off the patterns... sometimes we then make those into headbands, other times I take a photo and send it home, other times I keep it.

Do I think it's horrible to use a worksheet now and again? No... often I've had kids beg for "big kid work" like their siblings. But I always try to find other ways to show their learning :)

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 21, 2010

There are people on this forum that really like the worksheets. I am not one of them. I love to use pattern blocks or at least the pattern block cut outs on a white paper for patterns. I have used stickers , i have used bingo markers. My kids usually really, really love patterns we make them all year long. Kinder comments on their grasp of patterns each year.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 25, 2010

i think worksheets are okay once in a while, but not all the time. I also thinks it's improtant to use alot of different methods because all children don't learn the same. I have them make patterns from different pieces of colored paper around a piece of paper to make a pattern border for their placemats at Thanksgiving time, we do boy girl patterns sometimes when we line up, we do rythm sticks and do patterns of up down, left right, we do clapping patterns and we do paper chain patterns and we do pattern blocks and we do sorting and then take an item from each pile and put them in a line and then repeat and repeat until all the objects are gone, and we do s worksheet here and there