Workout Sound-off

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, May 25, 2011.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 25, 2011

PCDiva and I were chatting in another thread about our workouts, and I though it could be fun to have a thread where we post our workouts and motivate each other. Peachy and I have been pushing each other on FB with our runs, and it helps a lot! So post your workouts and motivate others! And let us know if you hit milestones-loss of weight, running pace, mileage or lifting weight!

After several days of being down and out with a head cold, I was finally able to get back to working out today. I got in a mile run as well as 65 burpees (jumping push-ups), 75 push-ups, 77 box jumps and 99 squats. I'm hoping that cancels out the 6 Reese Cups I ate for lunch.... :woot:

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 25, 2011

YAY JEM!

I was back in action today too...I ran 2 1/2 miles! *we had a staff breakfast, I'm sure it didn't cancel out all the sweets I ate, but its a start!

Thanks for starting this! June 11th will be here before we know it!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

Jem- glad you're feeling better. Do you know of any good exercises to make your booty look better?

:) I ran this morning but my app glitched and didn't record my run, poo. So, today, I got a three mile run in before running errands. :) And in a little bit, I"m going to do some yoga before heading off to bed.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 25, 2011

Thanks, guys! Do you have a race on June 11th, too, PC? I can't remember. We'll have to make a race calendar. ;)

Peachy-I think my workouts are working my butt off, literally! I went through my closet today and tried every single piece on, getting ready for my new job. I was ruthless, and went in expecting about 1/2 of my items not to fit-I have a really bad habit buying clearance items that are too small thinking I'll fit in to them some day. But.... I actually fit into most of my clothes this time! I couldn't believe it! I still got rid of a lot of items because they weren't working for various reasons, but the pants zipped and the skirts buttoned. Shocking!

2.5 and 3 miles are GREAT! I need to go for a long run tomorrow and get my distance back up. And throw out the rest of the Reese Cups... dang the 6 pack being so cheap and close to the register.... Keep up the great work, ladies!!

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 25, 2011

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 25, 2011

....and I'm sooo not a runner! ahah I'm the tortise!

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 25, 2011

Race Calendar (let us know when your race is and we'll update!):

June 4-PCDiva, 5k
    June 11-PCDiva, 5k
    June 11-Jem, Mini-Triathlon
    June 14-PCDiva, 5 miles

July 16-Peachy, 10k

September 25-Jem, Full Triathlon

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 25, 2011

Oh, I have more-doing a summer run series, that is one race every MOnday for 8 weeks...

June 4-PCDiva, 5k obstacle course
    June 11-PCDiva, 5k
    June 13-PCDiva, 5 miles
    June 20-PCDiva 10K
    June 27-PCDiva 5K
    July 11- PCDiva 4k
    July 16-Peachy, 10k
    July 18- PCDiva 5k
    July 25-PCDiva 5k
    August 1- PCDiva 5k
    August 8- PCDiva 5miles
    August 27-PCDiva 5k obstacle course
    September 17-PCDiva- 10k
    October 2-PCDiva- 1/2 Marathon (I hope- I paid, I just hope i can get up to doin that many miles!)

That is so amazing that you are doing tri's! Maybe in my next life! lol

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2011

I haven't been at the gym hardly at all lately, but TOMORROW'S the 1st day of my summer vacation (5/26) & I better start off the summer running! I want to lose as much as possible since I may go to my BF's twin bro's wedding in late July & I plan to go on my big Olympics European vacation next summer, so I want to look absolutely phenomenal!

I never run or jog, even before I had a serious ankle injury a few yrs ago. I walk at a good, brisk pace. At the gym, I like the elliptical crosstrainer & the individual pieces of equipment.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

I have been going to the gym in the am three days a week. That means I have to get up at 4:45 and I am NOT a morning person but I feel so good all day after I work out. I am just doing 30 minutes on a bike right now, but I am hoping to step it up and get a trainer when school is out.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 26, 2011

This morning: walking for 50 minutes at a moderate pace (about 3 mph) then about 50 or so crunches of different types.

I like this idea for a thread!

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 26, 2011

Ok, I found out I actually did 3.2 miles yesterday- I just clocked the route with my car....which is good bc it took me 35 minutes, so that means I am getting faster!

We were off from school today for MDW, so I did the route with a co worker again this am! Yay! Feels so good, today was harder though because it is so humid!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

I moved up from a 4.0 to a 4.5. I do some boosts that go up to 5. Most of the time I go for 3 miles. My thing is not motivation to go to the gym, but my diet.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

I had a hard time with yesterdays run too because of the humidity. But, I trudged ahead and fought through it.

My biggest issue is endurance. It's been something that I've struggling with forever. I'm a fast sprinter, but not a long runner. So, it's taken me forever just to run 3 miles without wanting to die. For some reason though, when I run at the beach, it's super easy to go more than 4 miles.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

Me too. I like working out. THe more I have been working out the more the scale has been going UP! It's ridiculous. But I guess I need to tighten up the food even more. Arg.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

I've gained about five pounds, more or less, since January. But that's good for me! I'm skinny with fat here and there. So, that means the fat is being converted to muscles. :) And another proof is that some of my jeans don't fit me as well anymore.

And, remember, when working out, don't rely on the numbers on your scale as an indicator on how your doing. Better is to measure your body (legs, stomach, etc). :)

18. smalltowngal

May 26, 2011

silver~that's my problem too! I try not to weight myself at all and just look at myself or do measurements to see how well (or bad) I've been doing.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 26, 2011

STG-when you say 4.0 and 4.5, what are you referring to? Is that for a workout machine?

GREAT job to those who get up early and work out! Right now I have the luxery of time, but I'm worried about fitting training in once I start my job next week. I'm about to kick my butt outside to do today's workout-I don't want to post it before I do it because I don't want to jinx myself. ;)

Good job, Celia! I'm going to try to do an abs workout today, too.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 26, 2011

Just got done with a 5 mile run. The bad thing about long runs is there is so much time to think. I noticed every blister forming from my new running shoes. I noticed the clicking of my earbud cords against my earrings. I noticed a pulled muscle in my hip and then I think I started to baby that hip, which is not good, but I couldn't figure out how to stop. I notice how every house has a different fabric softener and that they always seem to be doing laundry while I run. I notice how normally quiet street roads seems to become crazy busy with cars when I'm running down them, and how those cars want to go really fast by me even though they should be creeping slowly for safety. I notice how when I get to a crosswalk and push the button, hoping for a brief break, the light immediately turns green for me and I have to keep running, yet times when I'm in a hurry the light takes forever to turn green.

Anyhow, started with a 8:21 pace and ended with an 11:17 average pace. I blame my new shoes and the pulled hip muscle. I was surprised at my breathing-I kept it even and comfortable the entire time-victory! ;)

21. smalltowngal

May 26, 2011

Jem- thats the speed. A 4.5 is a med jog for me, a 5 is almost a run. I ran a 5k distance today!! I'll be looking at races soon!

22. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 26, 2011

Nice everyone!

Good job Jem! I love the smell of fabric softener! How do you know your pace? Do you wear something that tells you or are you just dividing your miles into your time?

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 26, 2011

I have this GPS watch that I wear while I run. I LOVE it. It's dh's, but I'm calling it mine now. ;) It's so simple to use-I can just hit the 'start' button when I take off, and the numbers are nice and large so I can see my average pace, my total time and my total mileage. When I have a mileage goal, I just run until the watch tells me I've done half, and then I turn around to finish it up. When I have a target pace, I just keep it at that number and run faster when it starts to get higher.

When I've finished my run, I can see my other stats, such as fastest pace, calories, etc. If I wanted, I could import the actual route and see more details about it, but I don't need that much information at this time. You can also change the mode to biking or swimming, and it keeps all the information in the watch for later reference. If you are looking for one workout necessity, this is IT.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

Does a brisk 50-minute walk around a college campus leading a gaggle of third graders through the rain and around the downed tree branches count? That, along with climbing a two-story "lily-pad and vine climber" was my workout for today :)

Hoping tomorrow to do a local hike with another teacher--it's been stormy every other night this week! Once school ends next week, I'll get into a more regular schedule using my exercise bike and running in the mornings.

I have a 5K on September 18, and my goal is to be able to run the whole thing.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2011

Good for you! I'm not a morning person either & I don't know if I'll ever wake up this early to exercise! I suppose once I start, I'll get used to doing it like everything else.

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 26, 2011

Just added you to the list, Amakaye! Good luck in your training!!

PC-just noticed one of your races is an obstacle course-I would LOVE that. Our Crossfit gym is doing the Tough Mudder, but it's too expensive for my taste. But I would love the challenge!

June 4-PCDiva, 5k obstacle course
    June 11-PCDiva, 5k
    June 13-PCDiva, 5 miles
    June 20-PCDiva, 10K
    June 27-PCDiva, 5K
    July 11- PCDiva, 4k
    July 16-Peachy, 10k
    July 18- PCDiva, 5k
    July 25-PCDiva, 5k
    August 1- PCDiva, 5k
    August 8- PCDiva, 5miles
    August 27-PCDiva, 5k obstacle course
    September 17-PCDiva, 10k
    September 18-Amakaye, 5k
    October 2-PCDiva, 1/2 Marathon (I hope- I paid, I just hope i can get up to doin that many miles!)

27. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 26, 2011

28. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 26, 2011

Wow, that GPS looks awesome, I love Amazon.com ...the price isn't bad at all, I know a few people who have them but thought the price was well over $300

I'm going to look into maybe getting one....I like seeing stats!

29. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 26, 2011

Oh, you would love it, PC! I enter my stats into Excel each day after running-it's my cool down as I drink water and watch all my lovely numbers fill the spreadsheet. ;)

No where near Long Beach, unfortunately.

30. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 26, 2011

Oh!!! A spread sheet too!!! :woot: I really do love this!!!!! :)

31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 27, 2011

I woke up this morning to work out, but um, my husband had other plans. So, I'll work out this afternoon.

32. smalltowngal

May 27, 2011

:lol: MissC, that's exercise!!!!!

ama~my goal is to run the whole 5k as well. Yesterday I came a lot closer than I normally do. Hopefully, I can keep it up!

33. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 27, 2011

I had dance for 3 hours last night so I'm taking today off...going to a MDW bbq!

34. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 27, 2011

I'm going to need to workout big time tonight. One of my coworkers made lunch: enchillada casserole, salad, chips and salsa, and brownies. I had a small portion, but still more than I usually eat. Gotta walk!

35. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 27, 2011

I do Zumba :)

36. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 27, 2011

PCDiva, that is a lot of dancing!

I just signed my family up for the Y for the summer and got their class schedule. I hope to do zumba twice a week and probably try out some other classes too. And of course spend plenty of time at the pool not exercising :D.

37. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 28, 2011

Celia, that sounds amazing! I'd have eaten a LOT! :)

Yesterday's workout: .6 mile run, 60 squats, 70 hang snatches (swinging a 35 pound bar from your mid thighs to over your head), 70 box jumps, 155 push-ups and 100 sit-ups.

Today's workout: .6 mile run, 95 push presses (pushing a 45 pound bar from your chest to over your head), 95 burpees (jumping down into a push up and then jumping back up), 100 weighted sit ups with a 10 pound medicine ball, 93 push-ups and one .6 mile hill sprint.

I'm exhausted and starving. :) Dh wants to go for a run later; we'll see.

38. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 28, 2011

Today: walked for 30 minutes this morning. Then I also was on my feet for a few hours at graduation, then running errands.

But, I went to IHOP for lunch with some coworkers (love their Simple and Fit meals! Only 320 calories!) and I'm about to go eat some Chick-fil-a because I have the sodium available and rarely do. I'll probably walk a little more tonight, though I'm burning tons of calories packing and cleaning to get ready to be out of town at work for a whole month. I'll be under my calorie goal either way!

39. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 28, 2011

Ms Mar, it sounds like a lot, but goes really fast- 1 hr each of Tap, Jazz and Hip Hop

Another day without exercising...too much going on for Memorial Day Weekend and time just got away from me!

Jem, I was going to buy that GPS on Amazon...then I was talking to my art teacher about it...and she told me there is a blackberry app that does the same thing! She said she has the watch and has compared it to the app...I can't wait to try it tomorrow! I'm so glad you brought it up bc it got me thinking and talking about it!

40. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 29, 2011

So sad! I was extra super good yesterday, but the scale went up a pound today. I guess today I need to be extra extra super good. I'll do my usually walk of 30-60 minutes in the morning, and then continue packing and cleaning the house, but also exercise more, too. Maybe do a video or some time on a Kinect game or something.

41. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 29, 2011

My husband, and Google when I needed verification, said we're about 4 weeks behind our workouts in terms of weight, muscle and looks. I would say this is true, as I'm finally dropping weight and I'm been running 15+ miles a week for the last 6 weeks. The day to day weight is influenced by water and the eight of the food you ate last night, not the calories.

So the Reese cups I ate this week won't hit me until mid-June, and then I'll hate my May self. :)