Working without a contract

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JerseyEnglish, Aug 26, 2010.

1. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone had a good summer. I have a question I am working in a district where we currently do not have a contract. I was told by my principal that I have a position for this coming school year ( we go back Sept. 7) I have not received any paperwork that I even have this position. I have not signed a contract or a letter of intent. Anyway, my question is being that I do not have any contractual agreement could the school rescind my employment offer? And would I have to give 60 days notice or could I give less? Just wondering what that process is.......

Any help or input you can give will be helpful.

3. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 26, 2010

If you did not have a position for fall they would have notified you by May 15th (its the law). I could be wrong but I believe contracts do not have to be signed until Sept 15, but most districts do it before school lets out for the summer.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 26, 2010

YOU NEED TO CONTACT THEM-- actually go straight down to the school and see what is up. If you did not sign any papers, they might just tell you sorry, no job.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2010

Stop by today and pick up planning materials.

You can't possibly pick up your teaching materials on Tuesday and expect to teach well on Wednesday.

Go to school this morning.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2010

Hmmm. Yeah, certainly go to the school and let us know the outcome.

I've also never signed a contract.

7. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

Well, this is the first year (of many) that I have had a contract before the first day of school.
    Here, as soon as a job offer is made and accepted it is considered a legal contract unless the school board doesn't approve the hiring, which happens within 30 calendar days of the offer being made. If the school board doesn't approve the hiring, they have to inform you within a certain number of days - but I don't know that number (because it never EVER happens).
    I don't know if that's how it works in NJ, but I know most states have protections against those types of things happening. My guess is as long as the board approved you being hired (or didn't approve you being non-renewed, whichever the case may be) you are fine and the contract hold-up may be due to negotiations. You said "we currently do not have a contract" so does that mean other teachers in your district don't have contracts either? If other teachers don't have them, don't sweat it at all. If other teachers DO have their contracts, check with the principal or HR/Payroll person for your district and see if they know why you don't have yours.

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 27, 2010

We are currently working without a contract as well. This is because we are in negotiations and a federal mediator has been called in. We still sign a contract for our pay, and our former contract still protects us until a new agreement has been reached.

9. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Aug 27, 2010

We never sign our contracts before Oct, if we have tenure. If not, that's a different story. I hope that it works out for you.

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 27, 2010

If there was no job for you, they would have had to give you a RIF letter in May. There is a job for you, but you need to call your building Principal to find out where he is placing you so you can start getting ready. I know in the school I am in (NW Jersey) the teachers are already reporting back this coming Wed and Thurs for in-service, etc. You will probably get a contract to sign either right before you return to school, or immediately after you start.

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 27, 2010

I would not work without a contract. That happened to a friend of mine when she was hired in Oct and was told she NEEDED to be in attendance in her soon to be classroom to observe and get to know how things were done and such. SHE WAS NOT PAID FOR THIS TIME. The district defends themselves by saying she was not under contract.