Working with Teacher's aides

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by NZoha, Dec 12, 2006.

1. NZoha

NZoha Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

Hi
    I need suggestion how to handle Teacher Aides in the classroom.
    If you are talking to a parents and an assistant jumps in the conversation,how to deal with.
    Is there any book I can read

thanks

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2006

Why can't the assistant jump into the conversation? She/he should be allowed to voice their concerns or comments too, IMHO. It also depends on the situation, but I always treated my assistants like equals, never like they didn't have a voice or their opinions didn't matter.

4. NZoha

NZoha Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

its not about treating equally.
    When parents have some cocern and they want to discuss with the teacher(only)
    In this case if your assistant gets in the conversation and parents don't appreciate this.
    How to deal with this situation without hurting anybodys feeling

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2006

It sounds like an equality problem from the parents end. They need to see that the assistant is with the children too and should be allowed to give their point of view, or else it becomes belittling if you say something. I think by keeping an assistant out of a conversation it is belittling and basically saying "you are unquaified to give your imput so butt out" without actally saying it. There is no way to put it politely without hurting someone's feelings, so the parent needs to just brush it off if they don't appreciate the assistant's imput. This is preschool, it's not like it's grade school. Roles are different then, if you ask me. I would be extremely upset if someone told me to butt out because I was a "lowly preschool assistant or just an aide" (which is how I would feel if I were one). Just my two cents. I just think the roles are different when you are talking grade school. This is preschool.

6. totallybusy

totallybusy Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

My experience with working with aides is setting boundaries from the beginning. An aide is there to assist the student not the teacher. However many times with classroom demands teachers tend to take advantage of the extra hands and before you know it they are assisting teachers. They quickly become very comfortable with this situation and feel they are able to communicate on all happenings in the class. An aide should be involved with parents if it is about assisting the student in the area for which he/she is hired. It is the teacher who should communicate things regarding programming, etc... It seems to me things have gotten to comfortable so now it will be difficult to change things without hurt feelings. If you must try to distance yourself then accept no help from this Aide outside the Aide helping the student. If things continue speak truthfully about the situation to her/him. Good Luck!

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2006

I usually welcome my assistant's input. If you know in advance that you want a one on one conversation with a parent, perhaps you could alert your assistant in advance that you need a private conversation. Hope this helps~
    Katie