Working with spouse?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hernandoreading, Aug 8, 2011.

1. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

My dh & I work at the same school and even have classrooms very close to each other. Many people think this is odd - they ask how we can handle being together pretty much all the time, but we love it. We are just one of three married couples that work in our school, and all are really happy with the arrangement. I know that we won't always have this luxury, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

I was curious - are there many others out there who also work in the same school as their spouse? (None of us is a supervisor or anything, so there is no nepotism going on.) It seems pretty common here, but I didn't know if it is in other areas.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

We have several couples at school. I think it's cute, and I'm quite envious of them. I'd love to work with my hoosband.

[​IMG]

4. BookshelfAmy

BookshelfAmy Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

We have quite a few teacher couples in our district, but most of them work on different campuses. My hubby works at the HS and I'm at the Intermediate school, but we love being in the same professional community.

We do have one husband and wife team at my school. They both teach 4th grade but seem to have very different styles. I don't know either of them very well, so I can't comment on whether they like it or just took the available jobs. Neither one has moved to a new grade, so it must be tolerable!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

We work for the same religious community, but in 2 different schools.

But in my school, right now there are at least 3 married couples-- all met each other while working there.

One couple has been married for about 20 years, the other 2 got married in the last year or two.

We also have a mother and daughter both in my department.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

My hubby and I have rooms right next door to each other. I love it! I see him for an average of 45 minutes a day more now than when we taught at different schools, and that includes the drive to and from school. It is nice to know he's next door if I need him.

7. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

You can not work int he same school around here. The same district is okay, but not the same school. I've heard of couples meeting at the school and eventually getting married and they had to decide which one would move to another school because they both couldn't teach there. :eek:

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

My hubby is going to school to be a teacher/coach so there could be a time when we work at the same school. I know in my old school there were 2 married couples that worked together, though in different areas....the hubsands were teachers and the wives were aides. We have several married couples within the district though.

9. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 8, 2011

We have had several couple working together in my small district. I even know of an agriculture department that is led by a husband and wife team.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 8, 2011

It is against the rules here. Spouses cannot work in the same school. They can work for the same district.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

We have two married couples that work in our school, but many more married couples within the district.

12. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

I know a newly married couple who work in the same school AND have their rooms directly across from each other... that's actually how they met!

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

We have a few couples at my school. I think our rule is that a spouse can't be the other person's supervisor.

I'd like working with BF. I do wonder if we'd distract each other, though...

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

In my school married couples cannot work together on the same team/grade level. Currently, we do not have any married couples. I do have a friend who teaches in VA and she and her husband are both in the same department and school. She often tells me she wishes she taught at a different school so she would not be teaching with him because she finds it a bit uncomfortable.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

We don't distract each other much. Although, our rooms are next to each other, and he'll bang on the walls when I have the volume too loud on a movie. But he'd do that to anyone. Similarly, I often have to ask him to tone it down during physics labs, especially when they are dropping things.

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

At our school it would be allowed, but I do not think it would be good for my wife and I to work at the same school.

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

My mother's always said, "Don't get your bread and your meat from the same store." :lol:

;)