Working with 'ideology'

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Always__Learning, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Jun 24, 2018

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure ideology is the right word but I used it for a lack of a better word. I know many on this board talk about staying away from negativity, but in cases where you need to work with someone who seems to have a very strong opinion or perspective (i.e. unions are bad, administration is responsible for all problems, our assessment policy is awful, our reading program is awful, etc) what do you do?

What strategies have worked for you? I tend to be a middle of the road person. I tend to try to work within the structures we are asked to work within. I find it a bit exhausting dealing with people who have these super strong perspectives that color everything they do.

So what are your best practices for working with people with really strong perspectives (that may not always align with what you are supposed to be working on together).

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2018

I generally let them talk, nod when appropriate, smile and say uh, huh, and then go about my business. It is my opinion that most times people just want to vent and are not actually interested in carrying on a discussion about said topic.

Obadiah, bella84 and vickilyn like this.